What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Option

NorthernRV4

Well Known Member
I've really been trying NOT to think much about the engine I will use for my -4 because it's a ways off before I need it. I've had an idea of what I will likely use but still open to options. This morning I came across an ad on Barnstormers for an engine/CS prop very close to home and it seems like a potentially good buy. Looking for some opinions/direct experience from the community on this.

Lycoming IO-320 E1A
Hartzell prop HC-C2YL-4BF

both from a Decathlon. Condition aside, I have a few questions about the suitability for my -4

Fuel Injected: a plus since I plan to build it for inverted flight.
Dynafocal 1 mount
Induction: I'm told it's Horizontal induction, I know this affects the lower cowl/intake and FAB setup. Any potential problems here?

No idea on the suitability of the prop, wondering if there's any issues due to differences in speed range of a Decathlon compared to a -4... Being CS does the blade profile make a big difference for an RV application? Any advice here?

Engine wise, biggest consideration is that the horiz induction should face forward, if it doesn't, you will have to change out oil pan etc. Air cleaner considerations are minor overall in the long run.

Go to Hartzell website to get full specs for the prop, your concerns would be diameter limitations & desired pitch range. By comparing the recommended prop choices on Vans site and the specs of this prop, you will be able to determine if you could live with these pitch settings (speed range).
You listed the prop hub part number, you would have to get the rest of the assembly numbers (blade series#) to determine what performance you would get out of this prop. The '4BF' designates this being a 'non-feathering, counterweights, governor oil pressure decreases pitch' prop, be sure to get the govenor with the prop as it is probably specific to it's application. The counterweights will probably affect the prop spinner & require cutouts to fit.

Four Power!

I've really been trying NOT to think much about the engine I will use for my -4 because it's a ways off before I need it. I've had an idea of what I will likely use but still open to options. This morning I came across an ad on Barnstormers for an engine/CS prop very close to home and it seems like a potentially good buy. Looking for some opinions/direct experience from the community on this.

Lycoming IO-320 E1A
Hartzell prop HC-C2YL-4BF

both from a Decathlon. Condition aside, I have a few questions about the suitability for my -4

Fuel Injected: a plus since I plan to build it for inverted flight.
Dynafocal 1 mount
Induction: I'm told it's Horizontal induction, I know this affects the lower cowl/intake and FAB setup. Any potential problems here?

No idea on the suitability of the prop, wondering if there's any issues due to differences in speed range of a Decathlon compared to a -4... Being CS does the blade profile make a big difference for an RV application? Any advice here?
Jim,
I built my RV4 25 years ago when there was much more FWF Experimentation taking place than now. I've seen numerous plug and play FWF from certified airplanes that worked well and saved money.
Your engine prop combo has been literally bolted onto an RV4 with no mods by a friend of mine and it worked very well. The Citabria/Decathlon lower cowling utilizes a forward facing induction with the foam filter element mounted in the lower cowling. It's internally plumbed with a 3" SCAT connecting it from the cowling to the Bendix Fuel Injector Induction Servo mounted on the lower sump. Van's sells a FAB option just for that setup. Make sure the seller includes the full Christen inverted system, boost pump and assorted hardware. As far as the prop, the blade shape on that model is optimized for the Decathlon's lower entry aerobatic speed range, but will still provide excellent top end speed. Get as many parts from the Decathlon as you can, every thing you include saves $$$ and could be potentially sold to fund your project.

I think the Decathlon FWF would be a great option. :)

V/R
Smokey

PS:Many builders have also retrofitted the Engine/Prop of the Mooney M20 series as well as the Twin Comanche's IO-320B1E with the unique Type-1 Dynafocal mount. Van's sells both type 1 and 2 mounts for that very reason.
My current RV6'X" sports an 0-360J2A salvaged from a Robinson R22 that is light, powerful and saved $$$.
My RV4's early 0-320A (Dash Nothing) came from an Apache I salvaged. I sold the props to fund my project and utilizing a Sterba wood prop saved weight and cost. Selling the Apache's feathering Hartzell props paid for my panel and finishing kit. The engine gave me 1000 hours with just minor maintenance required.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info all, sorry for the double post, let's move this discussion to the other thread. :)

Last edited:
Back