What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 V speeds

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
My final inspection is coming up and I need to get some airspeed numbers to enter into the Garmin system.

Specifically I need the top and bottom of the green and white arcs and the Vne of for the aircraft

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Gil. I looked at the website and was not able to find it and called the help desk and got some of the numbers but your list is much better.

TAS vs IAS

Carl,
Just wondering what altitude /temp I should use as a reference. Is there some sort of standard? I was thinking about 14,500ft as I usually never go higher even with O2 but my service sealing is 18,000+. I agree completely that we should be using IAS/CAS just like all the other certified manufactures do. Years ago, the speed range was the big selling point. Today, the RV reputation can stand on its own and it's time to put TAS to bed.

I see Van's still lists Vne in terms of True Airspeed (TAS) even for its latest model. I don't think it is enough for Van's to merely state that Vne is in TAS. Pilot's shouldn't have to think in terms of TAS while flying. I think that Van's should state their Vne (Redline) in terms of IAS (or CAS) as a function of altitude, up to the service ceiling of the airplane. Builders may even want to mark their airspeed indicators accordingly.

I know modern EFIS panels with an OAT sensor input can calculate and display TAS, but Van's (or any designer) should accommodate all levels of instrument sophistication.

I would like to see Van's incorporate that change in its future PAP (production acceptance procedure) for the RV-14/14A that it references in their V-Speeds link quoted above.

See this post for a little more discussion:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1151665&postcount=69

Cessna Piper

I used 160 on the EFIS as a starting point. Thanks.
I wonder what PIper or Cessna uses for altitude to determine Vne? I'm assuming they use the service ceiling altitude to determine IAS/CAS for Vne. Any ideas?

Craig,

Since Van's now says that Vne is stated as True Airspeed, it is just the conversion of Vne in TAS at each altitude to Calibrated Airspeed (CAS).

I see you have an RV-9, which has a Vne of 210 MPH TAS. So here are the Vne's at several altitudes in terms of MPH IAS. (Note that I have not considered any instrument or position error, therefore Indicated Airspeed equals Calibrated Airspeed. And it uses the Standard Atmosphere.)

i-n7BqKhg.jpg

I hope that answers your question.

Back