What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do yo compress and flare SS tube?

caapt

Well Known Member
Working on the exhaust system. 48-03 says fabricate two SS tube. Compress one end and flare the other in a vice. I need more than that. These instructions are rapidly becoming less and less.

@caapt really, you just squeeze it in a vice to get the approximate dimensions shown. You may be over thinking it a bit. The goal is just to have the end flared enough so that it doesn't slip out of the rubber tube after you clamp it.

Compress one end and flare the other in a vice.

You misread that, you are only doing this modification to one end. The vice compression creates a flare. The pic is the same part rotated so you can see what the flare created by the compression in a vice.

Last edited:
Something "squeezy" (rivet squeezer with flush dies or a vise)
Something "pointy" and a hammer. (a drift punch is one "pointy" tool)

:)

UHHHHH

I dont have section 48 of the plans----so what tubes are you talking about? Exhaust hangars?

Tom

We are not talking about a 37-degree flare here.

Steve,

You're right...it's not a 37 degree flare. However, an SAE/Milspec tube bead might be an alternative. Another option would be a DIN bubble flare.

There are other areas in the Vans directions that have you create a 37 degree flare and then sand it down to create the bead.

We are just exploring some alternatives and curious to confirm the material (Stainless) as well as the diameter of the tube and the wall thickness to determine if we can create an additional option for builders.

Here is a sample picture of what I am talking about. We didn't do these beads, but it illustrates what I am referring to.

Tube%20Beading.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
I actually made a small flare in the end with the pointy thing and a hammer (center punch and hammer). Put the solid end (before flattening it out) on your vise on a flat spot with the end needing flaring pointing up. Put the center punch in the open hole and lightly tap the punch until the flare you want is made. You just need enough so the rubber hose does not slide off after clamped in place. You can now flatten the other end and drill the bolt hole in it.

I was overthinking it

Once Sterling told me the drawing was two views of the same tube it became clear. Just pinch the end in a vice. I thought one tube was flared and one compressed.
Thanks for the help

Back