What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

headset jack holes

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Any reason that the holes for the jacks are miss sized? One is too big and one is too small. Well this is the case for the jacks that I got from SteinAir.

The one for the larger plug was way to big. I tightened down the nut so I hope it does not rattle around over time. The one for the small plug was not even close to big enough. No big deal, I can easily up size a hole. Kinda hard to downsize a hole.

Why aren't both holes too small, then up size to what ever the heck you want?

In addition to the jacks, you also need the fiber (insulation) washers on both sides on the panel. The existing holes are to accommodate these washers.

If you swap the jacks, you'll find that they are *both* loose, by the same amount. That's because the isolation washers are not installed. Isolation washers are necessary to ensure the jacks do not short to the airframe.

maybe I got the wrong washers. The black washer (which has the little lip) is not a snug fit around the inside of the larger hole. I have not measured the hole versus the OD of the lip of the washer, but there is significant play.

I have no idea how washer for the the smaller jack fit. In mine, I could just get the smaller jack in the hole (barely), but I could not get the black washer to seat. The lip of the black washer has to go through the hole, so that the jack does not touch the metal.

Are you sure that that is the case for the small jack? If that is true, then Van's must have changed the hole sizes. Or our jacks are different diameters.

Back