What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey PC 680

Too many issues with my Odyssey battery. Has anyone switched to a stronger battery.

That is an intriguing statement. While there are indeed larger batteries, those of us who have used the PC680 for many years would be interested in hearing what kind of issues you have experienced. There might be a fairly simple solution that the knowledge base on this site can offer.

The battery in my new setup is also the Earth X 900. Pull the spark plugs and you can almost taxi with the starter :D

Coming up on my sixth year with the Odyssey. Many on our field have equally impressive results. Do you, by chance, keep it on a tender? They don't seem to like that.

I pulled my PC680 after nearly 8 years which it was still all good. I am currently on a EarthX680 and wonder if the less weight was worth the additional $300+
We will see if my EarthX will last as long but there has been no issues so far.

There seem to be many that have great luck with Odyssey, and a few that don't. Unfortunately I'm one of the latter. I'm on my third one and cannot figure it out.
PC925 in a -10.
It IS mounted on its side (Odyssey says that's okay, but is it really?)
Voltage measured with a good voltmeter, at the battery terminals, is 14.1-14.2 volts with the engine running. Is this too low?
I make a fair number of 30-40 minute flights. Are these too short?
I do not run a trickle charger. I have used an Odyssey approved "optimizer" (I think) charger a few times to bring it back up to fully charged.
Symptom: voltage measures 12.8 (fully charged). Turn on avionics, engine off. Within 2 - 3 minutes voltage is down to 12.0. After that, it continues to decrease but at a much slower rate. It's as if it's lost the top 40% of its capacity. It does always start just fine.

If you're trying to save weight, compare the weight difference between the Odyssey and EarthX. Both brands worked fine for me, but the EarthX is much lighter and cranks a lot stronger than the Odyssey.

There seem to be many that have great luck with Odyssey, and a few that don't. Unfortunately I'm one of the latter. I'm on my third one and cannot figure it out.
PC925 in a -10.
Voltage measured with a good voltmeter, at the battery terminals, is 14.1-14.2 volts with the engine running. Is this too low?
I do not run a trickle charger. I have used an Odyssey approved "optimizer" (I think) charger a few times to bring it back up to fully charged.
Symptom: voltage measures 12.8 (fully charged). Turn on avionics, engine off. Within 2 - 3 minutes voltage is down to 12.0. After that, it continues to decrease but at a much slower rate. It's as if it's lost the top 40% of its capacity. It does always start just fine.
UIKeyInputLeftArrow

By chance, do you locally ground the battery and use the airframe for grounds?

Carl

UIKeyInputLeftArrow

By chance, do you locally ground the battery and use the airframe for grounds?

Carl

Yes, battery is grounded locally, in the tail. Avionics are grounded to a copper buss bar on the aft side of the subpanel.
Good point. Now I can't recall exactly how I measured the battery voltage with the engine running - if I used the negative terminal, or a local ground. I should re-check. Thanks.

PC925 in a -10.

When in doubt, go to the source.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM-002_1214.pdf

According to Odyssey, your a/c charge voltage is too low.
(pages 13 & 14)

Charlie

Coming up on my sixth year with the Odyssey. Many on our field have equally impressive results. Do you, by chance, keep it on a tender? They don't seem to like that.

Only goes on tender/charger when I have something on or forgot the master on ( only once or twice). My battery lays flat.

This Odyssey 680 is 2 years old and is about toast. Today when I turned on the EFIS it showed 12.2 volts. After raising the flaps and turning on the electric fuel pump it dropped to 12.0 V. Its been about 10 days since I've flown last. My flights are about 45 mins long. Alt volts are 14.6V after start up. I'm considering a battery tender on a timer to see if I can milk it for a couple more months. Just postponing the inevitable.

This Odyssey 680 is 2 years old and is about toast. Today when I turned on the EFIS it showed 12.2 volts. After raising the flaps and turning on the electric fuel pump it dropped to 12.0 V. Its been about 10 days since I've flown last. My flights are about 45 mins long. Alt volts are 14.6V after start up. I'm considering a battery tender on a timer to see if I can milk it for a couple more months. Just postponing the inevitable.

Any battery can loose capacity, especially if it is abused. As example, was the battery ever run flat, like when you leave the master on? Anytime this happens or if you need to "jump" the plane assume the battery dead - pull it and let it have its new life in a lawn tractor. No Odyssey battery should ever need a tender.

BTW, a PC-625 is a little lighter and has a little more ah capacity compared to a PC-680. I run two of these in each plane I built to make sure I hit my design electrical capacity for IFR work.

Carl

Any battery can loose capacity, especially if it is abused. As example, was the battery ever run flat, like when you leave the master on? Anytime this happens or if you need to "jump" the plane assume the battery dead - pull it and let it have its new life in a lawn tractor. No Odyssey battery should ever need a tender.

BTW, a PC-625 is a little lighter and has a little more ah capacity compared to a PC-680. I run two of these in each plane I built to make sure I hit my design electrical capacity for IFR work.

Carl

Thanks Carl.

I've never run this battery flat. Never left the master on. We had a cold spell here in California. Nothing like you folks get back east. The only thing that changed in my electrical system was the addition of a Garmin GTX 345 and Aera 660. Both of those are off with the master.

"No Odyssey battery should ever need a tender." My last one didn't. This one needs a lawn tractor, if only I had lawn.

I didn't know the 625 had more ah than the 680. Will it fit in the same box?

I'm really thinking of going with the EarthX 925 to off set the addition of my smoke system.

Good Batteries

I just replaced my PC 680 after 9 years service with another PC 680. The old one was still showing 14.2 v but felt it was time to change. It has been trouble free and I don't use a battery tender. I did notice the old one shows 220 CCA on the label, the new one shows only 170. Same p/n, etc... Anybody know anything about this?

If I could just find a oil pressure transducer that would last beyond 10 hrs I would be fine

Rod Estep
RV8 F/I, C/S prop
Steam gauges

Dues payed

I order my batteries online through Battery Mart. My one yr old Odyssey PC680 also failed to hold a charge more than than 12.2 v. When I called to order a new one, as a side note the rep stated that Odyssey does not recommend the PC680 for aircraft use but they make the Hawker SBS J16 recommended for aircraft. Same size as PC680. Came in the mail today. $173.65 including shipping.

2exr9cn.jpg

My PC 680 lasted 12 years

Yesterday I replaced the Odyssey PC 680 battery in my RV-8 after 12 years and 1674 hours. It has worked flawlessly and has never been on a battery tender. I installed a new one purchased from Van's. I have been very happy with the performance of this battery and have no reason to look at other batteries at this point.

Dan Miller
RV-8 N3TU
Battle Ground, WA

12 Years! That is impressive, for sure. :eek::)

It makes me wonder whether the PC 680's that fail early might have a small continuous drain that is unknown to the aircraft owner. [Clock, memory keep-alive, who knows what..]

I'm having trouble coming up with any other answer.

Perhaps if there was a physical switch that would Completely disconnect the battery from Everything in the aircraft, the batteries might last longer.

Just a WAG, for sure. No data whatsoever. And, YMMV!

The answer to many of these premature failures and why the rating changed is in the archives.

I order my batteries online through Battery Mart. My one yr old Odyssey PC680 also failed to hold a charge more than than 12.2 v. When I called to order a new one, as a side note the rep stated that Odyssey does not recommend the PC680 for aircraft use but they make the Hawker SBS J16 recommended for aircraft. Same size as PC680. Came in the mail today. $173.65 including shipping.

2exr9cn.jpg

That looks like a good alternative. Thanks Jim!

ODYSSEY Powersport Battery Model PC680 ($130.00)
Specifications:
Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA): 520
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 170
20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah): 16
Reserve Capacity Minutes: 24
Dimensions L x W x H (in): 7.15 x 3.00 x 6.65
Metric Dimensions L x W x H (mm): 181.5 x 76.3 x 167.8
Weight (lbs): 15.4
Weight (kg): 7

vs

ODYSSEY POWERSAFE DRY CELL BATTERY SBS J-16 ($187.00)
Specifications:
Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA): 680
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 300
Nominal Capacity @C1(Ah): 12.3
Nominal Capacity @C/10(Ah): 16
Reserve Capacity Minutes: 25
Dimensions L x W x H (in): 7.15 x 3.01 x 6.61
Metric Dimensions L x W x H (mm): 181.61 x 76.33 x 167.77
Weight (lbs): 15.4
Weight (kg): 6.99

I had great luck with the PC-680 when I first started flying my RV-7A in 2010 but I replaced one of the two PC-680s after four years. These new PC-680s have fewer ribs in the sides and the heat under the cowl warp them and then Odyssey will not stand behind their product. I had one a few months ago that lasted two months. My next battery will probably be a different brand.

I note that builders seem to have adopted the PC-680 as "the" standard install. On the RV-14 Van's even provides this battery and firewall mount to go with it.

As I previously stated, I view the PC-625 a better battery. It is lighter, more ah and higher CCA than the PC-680 and I find the form factor easier to work with. I note however that I do not mount batteries on the engine side of the firewall. I use two PC-625s to hit my two hour battery reserve design target and to allow for losing one and still continue IFR flight.

For the RV-8, both batteries are mounted on the aft side of the firewall but forward of the gear tower, one on each side. For the RV-10 both batteries go into a modified standard Van's battery mount aft of the baggage compartment. Never did an RV-7 but I'm guessing there are cabin side of the firewall options as well.

Carl

PC 680

My PC680 is 7 years old in my RV-8.. bought a new one but haven't installed due to calendar age.. still cranking strong.

My flying is simular to yours 30-45 minute flights. I had the first PC 680 for two years before I had enough of it. It seemed to drain quickly even with just the avionics on. My second PC 680 was used with a Battery minder and lasted 4 years. I had to start quick or it dies. When tested it shows 13.1 volts but under a load drops to zero quick. I'm going to talk to people here at Sun n Fun and try something different but not another PC 680.
Thanks

So back to this new battery tech issue, some hear I think are in fear of these just popping and exploding into a ball of fire. I like my Earth X. So just a little off topic but related to this new battery stuff......so my 2 stroke gas weed eater gave up on me this last weekend and I gave up on it, so we went to the dark side and got one of these new battery powered ones......40 Volts! WOW! I was shocked and amazed with the performance of this thing. They have come a long way with this Li Ion stuff.

2exr9cn.jpg

Thanks for this info Jim. First I've heard of the 'Aviation' Odyssey.

Replacing a PC680

After taking with various battery suppliers here at Lakeland I'm going with the Earth x 900. I think the Fuel Injection engines just need a stronger battery because of the difficulty starting. As far as the Lithium battery exploding, the Earth x is high tech with many safe guards. I think we will be seeing more in the future.
Thanks for the input.

I gave up on Odyssey batteries, as the newer ones aren't nearly as long lasting as my first one. I was running out of room in the basement to store the dead ones.

I'm currently using a Full River FT230, which is a drop-in replacement, with the same dimensions as the PC680. Full River was recommended to me by an Australian RVer. I haven't had it in long enough to come to any conclusion, but I have no complaints with it yet.

I swap out my 680 every other year as a IFR precaution. All 680 batteries are not created equal, even that exact same models. My new battery, this spring, is better then the last one ever was. I currently have about four old 680s that I keep charged for use around the farm. They are great in lawn mowers!
I think two years from now there will be enough experience in the field for me to try a different type. I remember when a 680 was considered new and scary.

I swap out my 680 every other year as a IFR precaution. All 680 batteries are not created equal, even that exact same models. My new battery, this spring, is better then the last one ever was. I currently have about four old 680s that I keep charged for use around the farm. They are great in lawn mowers!
I think two years from now there will be enough experience in the field for me to try a different type. I remember when a 680 was considered new and scary.

You and I think alike, mine was coming up 2 years so I just ordered the SBS J16 this time around to replace the 680, we'll see how it does. Maybe in a couple more years I'll be ready to move over to the EarthX technology but for now I feel a bit more comfortable with the old chemisrty.

You mentioned your alternator runs at 14.2 volts, which is probably too low for an AGM battery, especially if you make a lot of short trips. My experience with the PC680 has been fly and forget for the last 5 years and 400 hours with 14.5 volts in flight, and no use of a maintainer.

Jay

From Odyssey website: "Proper and adequate charging is necessary to ensure that ODYSSEY batteries deliver their full design life. Generally speaking, a full recharge requires about 5% more amp- hours (Ah) must be put back in than was taken out. In other words, for each amp-hour extracted from the battery, about 1.05Ah must be put back to complete the recharge.
Cycling tests conducted on an ODYSSEY PC545 battery demonstrated the impact raising the charge voltage from 14.2V to 14.7V has on the cycle life of the battery. The results are shown in the graph at right.

Samples 1 and 2 were charged at 14.2V while Samples 3 and 4 were charged at 14.7V. All batteries were discharged at 2.3A until the terminal voltage dropped to 10.02V and charged for 16 hours. In this particular test, a capacity of 11.5Ah corresponds to 100% capacity and 9.2Ah is 80% of rated capacity and the battery is considered to have reached end of life at that point.
The message to be taken from this graph is clear ? in deep cycling applications it is important to have the charge voltage set at 14.4 ? 15.0V. A nominal setting of 14.7V is a good choice, as shown by the test results."

I'll be honest and say I really don't understand how these batteries work. On my CHARGER, it charges at 14.7 volts until fully charged. After that, it drops back to a 13.5 volt float charge. What happens if I run my alternator at 14.7 volts, after the battery is fully re-charged? Is there a risk of boiling the electrolyte? How high is too high?

After taking with various battery suppliers here at Lakeland I'm going with the Earth x 900. I think the Fuel Injection engines just need a stronger battery because of the difficulty starting. As far as the Lithium battery exploding, the Earth x is high tech with many safe guards. I think we will be seeing more in the future.
Thanks for the input.

Anyone using an EarthX or similar battery needs to read the following thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=148476

It appears there may be a failure scenario with a battery that has an automatic disconnect that many have not considered.....and could be very expensive.

Last edited:
Anyone using an EarthX or similar battery needs to read the following thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=148476

It appears there may be a failure scenario with a battery that has an automatic disconnect that many have not considered.....and could be very expensive.

True, good electrical system design is pretty important, and perhaps even more so with these new technology batteries.

The failure of the el-cheapo auto alternator that could not be shut down combined with a system that had no overvoltage protection is not the batteries fault, it did exactly what it was designed to do to protect itself.

Last edited:
I'll be honest and say I really don't understand how these batteries work. On my CHARGER, it charges at 14.7 volts until fully charged. After that, it drops back to a 13.5 volt float charge. What happens if I run my alternator at 14.7 volts, after the battery is fully re-charged? Is there a risk of boiling the electrolyte? How high is too high?

I think I can answer my own question. I previously worked off the Odyssey warranty page, where it said "alternator must put out between 14.0 and 14.7 volts". But it sounds like the low end of this range is not very good for long battery life. Since I have a Plane Power with nonadjustable regulator, I'll see if I can fool it with a series diode in the sense line.

I think I can answer my own question. I previously worked off the Odyssey warranty page, where it said "alternator must put out between 14.0 and 14.7 volts". But it sounds like the low end of this range is not very good for long battery life. Since I have a Plane Power with nonadjustable regulator, I'll see if I can fool it with a series diode in the sense line.

A standard Plane Power alternator works just fine with an Odyssey battery (or two like I have). Just run it.

Carl

PC 680 Technical Manual ... a good read!

Odyssey puts out a really good technical manual on the PC680. Most of the questions and issues in this thread are addressed. In particular, the issues around charging between 14.2 and 14.7 are explained. There is a really interesting chart showing the impact of charging at the low end versus 14.7 which is the recommended charge voltage.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM-002_1214.pdf

I have used three PC680s in my RV7 over the past 8 years. Two were changed "just because" ... one was dead in the saddle. Have seen a lot of them at KORK (we have 22 flying RVs and 21 are using PC680's) and generally, we have seen good service life out of all the batteries.

Bill S

Earthx 900

I have now been flying over a month since I installed a Earthx 900. After using two Odyssey 680 batteries in six years what a difference. I have dual Grand Rapids that would drop off line when I started and now everything is ok. When starting my IO 360 before the starting proformance was poor. Now it's is amazing.

I gave up on Odyssey batteries, as the newer ones aren't nearly as long lasting as my first one. I was running out of room in the basement to store the dead ones.

I'm currently using a Full River FT230, which is a drop-in replacement, with the same dimensions as the PC680. Full River was recommended to me by an Australian RVer. I haven't had it in long enough to come to any conclusion, but I have no complaints with it yet.

Hi Kevin

It's now been three years on your Fullriver battery. Any updates? How is it performing for you? I am due a new battery very soon and the FT230 looks like a good option.

The Full River FT230 is still installed, and apparently working well. I'd have no concern about buying another one if this one died today. Note: I know nothing about the manufacturer, and how likely it is that the new ones are made with the same process, to the same specs, in the same factory, as the one I have. YMMV.

I agree with your thoughts on the Odyssey battery. I had one and it served me well although it NEVER, even when new, turned the prop with any "gusto." It always seemed "tired." I flew a lot so it was a well maintained battery. When it was time to replace it I noticed the new ones and all those battery numbers were LOWER than the original. The original never did great. From another thread on VAF, I learned of the APEX which cost IIRC about $35 +shipping. The odyssey was over a hundred. The apex with shipping came in at less than half. Anyway, I've been flying with it a year or so and have NO mind you... NONE... complaints. It's easily much more powerful than the Odyssey and turns the prop with that gusto I like to see. I know there are others out there that do a good job as well. I'm done with Odyssey.
Just looked it up. Current price 31.99. Here's the link to their site if interested.
https://www.apexbattery.com/apex-battery-apx12220-12-volt-22-ah-battery.html

IMG_0603 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

Last edited:
I replaced my ailing SBS J16 battery with the FullRiver FT230 that I’ve been reading about on these threads. I bought the FullRiver battery on sale direct via the internet for $109.00. It was $112.00 delivered. The size and weight of the FullRiver are close to that of the Odyssey and SBS J16. The specifications for the FullRiver appear to be better than the Odyssey. The new FullRiver slid right into my existing firewall mounted case, no issues.

Since owning my RV-8 I’ve used 3 Odyssey PC680’s and one SBS J16.

The SBS J16 is an excellent battery and I would have bought another but a price check showed $230.

Attachments

• IMG_9738.jpeg
    IMG_9738.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9739.jpeg
    IMG_9739.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 28
Back