What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OT fun sectional markings

scsmith

Well Known Member
This is kinda off topic, but may be of general interest, and maybe someone that lives in the area can help.

For some reason, I happened to pull up a Sectional for Midland-Odessa area of Texas. Right in the general vicinity, there were three unusual types of depictions on the chart, without much help on the legend.

First, all around the area there are lots of small open circles. Says 'oil field' and I am guessing these are either tank farms or well pumps. The normal Sectional legend depiction for tanks is a solid circle (dot).

Next, two areas to the east and southeast, there are areas bounded by dashed lines with depictions that look like stick-figure jet planes. Oh - windmills! Nice to see oil country utilizing alternative energy. But I didn't find a specific symbol description on the generic Sectional legend. Perhaps on the actual paper legend for that particular Sectional. I don't know.

Third, right next to the airport is a large depiction of a cartoon rocket ship. What is that? What is there?

Maybe someone that lives around Midland can enlighten us? And while you are there, say hi to Wally Scott.

Anyone know of any other fun/curious Sectional Chart symbols or depictions?

The little rocket for "Space Port" is cool, Mojave (KMHV) got its a couple years ago

I guess the Virgin Galactic guys fly out of Mohave, so that kind of makes sense, although it all happens up so high I don't see why it would be important for VFR charts.

But what is at Midland? What do they do there that makes it a "space port"?

The rocket icon is for actual space rocket launch facilities. Open circles are probably gas wells. You're right, the icon that looks like a jet indicates wind turbines.

9Jx-2j5gemHwkiExgiWvbxEe49NwDY5rmSv71woFw5YOzXxlUhFT8hPfeBaFtcdAiaWAdmhwgmrtRnhwBUurBK0RTcYXUZYHQl19ABdRmjVFa41oCzO4rtPNb1NR3en3kNnNq6CCcbxNyWhQ7_zbtuueJH714lgpB8P486hKrezRX601J16_h7yugQTzPqID-LLw121Xt9qzXs45smNwvq0xHjkzLbLUkSn4B4FDYTiTF8Kef0exDXVkp6wyLRanKGLrNGE-tU4xpoqf7JDhLdVTxqICCjf9hWgHtQtzUKwHK2HAG_krgSvBZo3XV_g936T5MA2rfUnuhSdmk2hlA0LfiiBFdN9xvgQiyxyTtBUpzXoxmCxGxKca9SGfSoy9QEwwIq2S_aDF0p51aJfJ9b1WUu5m3QdjbwlH1O03DlM_CiMRPzyXFqr4veYzR13_G5a-qUu5T8X4sf5FWWz9z-SWT8IVWP2LJDkLNNGM1dX7r5hdtonhxLqIyaIJIKC7XtwhXUW13Z1W-SKEpKHyEqoc49RMl2tq_dISinCXrz7QU6Zpvhw6t-MDPJ4NX_YZJlQ48YXBzaecaPxXVCU9KAxjidJigtRl5lP5frk3Ue0otjnefpaY02iCIUBzEm9M4lh58Z5v6BgpJxiT1DKMPJeK07FdJCSR=w1024-no

Not sure if you were being facetious or not, but Wally passed awhile back.

And here is a link to the VFR chart symbols.

Yeah, I know. I always think of him though. I helped take the (then) new PIK-20E self-launch glider on a marketing tour through the southwest to show it off. Summer of 1978 or 79. We spent a couple of days in Midland. Wally put us up, and took us to one of his theatres as a treat. I think we saw a Starwars movie, but not sure. Anyway, a terrific guy as well as a terrific competitor.

I looked through that link before. I didn't find the spaceport or the windmill markings.

I guess the Virgin Galactic guys fly out of Mohave, so that kind of makes sense, although it all happens up so high I don't see why it would be important for VFR charts.

But what is at Midland? What do they do there that makes it a "space port"?

Not all rockets go into space and they all do pass through the lower altitudes to get higher. Might be a good idea to listen to atis or check notams for a launch schedule, could get a unpleasant surprise.

The Midland International Air and Space Port - the greatest pile of political BS to hit west Texas, but yes it's real. KMAF is a legitimate "spaceport" because XCOR (at least I think it was them) came out here and leased a hangar with lots of grand plans, and then it all evaporated after they spent a buttload of city grants and the airport got the official Spaceport designation.

As for the rest, yes the oilfield out here are pretty intense - you will see oil wells every few hundred yards in some areas for miles. The wind turbines are a relatively recent addition but they are becoming quite plentiful, fairly popular with the farmers because unlike the oilfield, they still get to use the land under the turbines for farming.

The Midland International Air and Space Port - the greatest pile of political BS to hit west Texas, but yes it's real. KMAF is a legitimate "spaceport" because XCOR (at least I think it was them) came out here and leased a hangar with lots of grand plans, and then it all evaporated after they spent a buttload of city grants and the airport got the official Spaceport designation.

There's always this "spaceport" :)

http://airnav.com/airport/48U

Not all rockets go into space and they all do pass through the lower altitudes to get higher. Might be a good idea to listen to atis or check notams for a launch schedule, could get a unpleasant surprise.

Well, actually, no. The rocket is air-launched from a carrier aircraft at about 40,000 ft.

When it comes back down to earth, it is not a rocket, it is a glider. So maybe it should have a glider symbol next to it :D

Yeah, I read about XCOR at Midland. Even after they were dead, the City Council voted to keep spending money, putting good money after bad. Hope springs eternal.

Back