What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy-Opening Options

David Paule

Well Known Member
RV-3s have the choice of a slide-back or a tip-over canopy. On mine, I'm choosing the tipover version mostly to get rid of the viewing obstruction of the windshield frame - which to be honest, doesn't seem like a big deal, having sat in two now.

Still, it's nice to know that my RV-3B, old design as it is, is like the Boeing T-X advanced next-generation trainer in this way and in other ways.

Boeing-T-X-another-great-day-to-fly960x600-800x500.jpg

There aren't that many points of similarity, besides pure good looks, but the T-X uses some components from other aircraft for cost savings. Kind of like the RV-4 parts used on the RV-3B, for example.

But there's at least one point on which I hope my RV-3B is different than the T-X. The T-X contract, at least initially, is for $813 million. I hope to fly my RV-3B for less.

On the other hand, I bet that the production T-X parts fit well.

Dave

That little wheel in the back you guys are so proud of doesn?t seem to be very popular with modern aircraft designers since 1940.

Dave do you have any connections to the T-X program? Wouldn't mind meeting gaining a contact in that world...

Dave,

I think you should go slider with your canopy, not a tip over, for the following reasons:
- Less likely to lose canopy in flight. Even if you do, the front windshield stays on.
- Able to open canopy in case of a flip over event.
- If you accidentally leave canopy unlocked, it doesn't depart the aircraft on take-off
- Can't accidentally slam the canopy down on a windy day, potentially breaking it and/or chipping paint.
- Best of all, you can slide it back on taxi, hang your arm out and enjoy the "best convertible" on the ground.
- I've looked through the slider canopy on a 3 and a 4, and it's a non-event, as far as blocking your view.

Keith, no, I don't.

Mike, you presented the best ideas thus far for a slider canopy. For looks, it can't be beat, I think, but mine will be a tip-over. If nothing else, it eliminates the big cut, although that's small potatoes.

Mostly it's not wanting the bow.

Dave

Keith, no, I don't.

Mike, you presented the best ideas thus far for a slider canopy. For looks, it can't be beat, I think, but mine will be a tip-over. If nothing else, it eliminates the big cut, although that's small potatoes.

Mostly it's not wanting the bow.

Dave

And easy to make a nice compression seal on the full perimeter, if that is important.

And easy to make a nice compression seal on the full perimeter, if that is important.

That Bow is a life-saver in an overturn event. If you go tip-over, be sure to have a VERY STURDY bow behind your head.

That Bow is a life-saver in an overturn event. If you go tip-over, be sure to have a VERY STURDY bow behind your head.

Dave. THIS! I'm telling you the bow in the front is really no big deal. IMHO, it's good to have such a sturdy element IN FRONT of your face. Big cut is also no big deal. Dremel tool, warm air temps, 5 minutes and done! I can help you make the cut if you want..

That little wheel in the back you guys are so proud of doesn?t seem to be very popular with modern aircraft designers since 1940.

They don't care much for reciprocating engines either.

As for the tip-over vs. slider debate, I went went with the tip-up for the same reason you are going with a tip-over. Besides, if you go upside down, the slider will probably jam and you won't be able to get out because there is structure in the way.

I do believe there is a behind the head roll bar that is available for the -3. If not, make one.

Feeling tipsy...

RV-3s have the choice of a slide-back or a tip-over canopy. On mine, I'm choosing the tipover version mostly to get rid of the viewing obstruction of the windshield frame - which to be honest, doesn't seem like a big deal, having sat in two now.
Dave

Dave,
Per the above comments, my first RV flight was an early (serial number 5) RV3, a tip-over. I like the Tip Over for the same reason I loved the F16 canopy, no bow=great visibility
As far as flip over/canopy loss, both my RV4 and HR2 have tip overs and in over 2000 hours they never "fell" off and worked very well. !f you lock it, it's doesn't blow open! Additionally I have witnessed and been a first-responder to three RV flip-overs. Two slider 6A's and one Tip over RV3. All three trapped their occupants until we were able to lift them enough to slide/cut them out, one under two feet of mud in a corn field.
Slider vs Tip over wouldn't have mattered.
V/R
Smokey

A proper canopy...tip up with no bow.:)

PS: The above mentioned RV3 was very light weight, no electrical system and hand propped 0-320 with a Tip over canopy. It broke a record in 78" for time to climb and absolute altitude (21K) that stood until recently for it's class, (C1A).

Last edited:
There's also the fairly recent thread from Italy where the pilot managed to get the slider canopy open just before touchdown (can't be done at speed), only to have it slam shut on impact.

VIPER Picture...

Dave,
Per the above comments, my first RV flight was an early (serial number 5) RV3, a tip-over. I like the Tip Over for the same reason I loved the F16 canopy, no bow=great visibility
As far as flip over/canopy loss, both my RV4 and HR2 have tip overs and in over 2000 hours they never "fell" off and worked very well. !f you lock it, it's doesn't blow open! Additionally I have witnessed and been a first-responder to three RV flip-overs. Two slider 6A's and one Tip over RV3. All three trapped their occupants until we were able to lift them enough to slide/cut them out, one under two feet of mud in a corn field.
Slider vs Tip over wouldn't have mattered.
V/R
Smokey

A proper canopy...tip up with no bow.:)

PS: The above mentioned RV3 was very light weight, no electrical system and hand propped 0-320 with a Tip over canopy. It broke a record in 78" for time to climb and absolute altitude (21K) that stood until recently for it's class, (C1A).
SMOKEY: I can't believe you didn't post a picture of an AL ANG Viper!!! :)

Revisiting an older thread, I'd thought of that F-16 type of canopy-opening plan for my RV-3B, but couldn't design one that would be light enough and still stiff and strong enough for the winds of midwest ramps. Sadly, I had to abandon the idea. Too bad, it wins for looks.

Another thing of interest is the relative size of the engine inlets between the RV-3B and the F-16. I think the area of the inlet is directly proportional to the fuel cost, hey?

Dave

Revisiting an older thread, I'd thought of that F-16 type of canopy-opening plan for my RV-3B, but couldn't design one that would be light enough and still stiff and strong enough for the winds of midwest ramps. Sadly, I had to abandon the idea. Too bad, it wins for looks.

Another thing of interest is the relative size of the engine inlets between the RV-3B and the F-16. I think the area of the inlet is directly proportional to the fuel cost, hey?

Dave

If its any consolation, I enlisted Ken Krueger?s design brain when we were building Tsam to see if we could figure out an F-16 style...no structure there to support it. So we settled on the (sorta) F-104 option.... ;)

If its any consolation, I enlisted Ken Krueger?s design brain when we were building Tsam to see if we could figure out an F-16 style...no structure there to support it. So we settled on the (sorta) F-104 option.... ;)
Maybe a fastback, or partial fastback, conversion would give you enough to work with to mount a rear hinge?

easy to exit

At 6'3" I would not be able to exit a -3 with a slider. I have to scoot myself up on the rear deck and then extract my legs. Tip over is the only way for me. And I do see the benefits of the slider, especially on taxi with the canopy back and a cigar in the corner of my mouth.

Cool cat to act like that.

Dave,
Is access behind the panel the same with a slider as a tip over? With my tip over, everything between the firewall and panel is easily accessible after removing the top panel.

Back