What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Pump/Filter install question

Greenley

Well Known Member
Today's agenda is to install the airflow performance pump and filter. When I start laying it out I see that the combination of the two is much longer than the old pump and filter. The mounting brackets already on the floor of the tunnel are to close together. Before I start drilling and moving the pump bracket, are there any better answers? I see that vans now sells a "10 F.I. PUMP KIT" that it says contains items to make this install easier, any idea what the contents are, I know I could call tomorrow, but was hoping to get this done today.

Bill,
Those brackets were placed there based on the old pump/filter design. The pump and filter assembly were updated a few years ago, but the brackets are still installed for the original configuration. I assembled the pump and filter, then aligned them in a good location for the fuel lines (valve end and firewall end). I relocated one bracket so the spacing between the pump and filter are centered on the brackets on both units. Easy to do. I'm locating the fuel flow sensor downstream from the engine pump, so no issues working around that in the tunnel area.

That was the best idea I had come up. The shortest I could make the connecting flared tube was just under 2". My problem with that issue is my bucking buddy has headed off to college. Will have to train a new one.
Here is a picture for anyone unfamiliar with the issue.
fuelpump.JPG

Just did this the other day. The kit came with a bunch of random things, including some tubing and rubber gasket material. Per the advice of Tom and some others I just screwed the filter into the pump and used the default brackets. Now being a newer QB things might be in a different location but not sure.

On my iPad and for whatever reason can't cut and paste some pictures but they're some in my build log, also took a picture of everything I got in the kit, including the fuel valve.

Two inch between the pump and filter is the shortest you can do. I also went with Tightline for the fuel lines. Right now I have the braded from the tanks through the firewall. Once the engine is mounted, I will do the same FWF. Shaping the aluminum tube to fit is definitly an art. The braded offers simplicity and no chance of fatigue or cracking.

Bill--you can remove the pump inlet fitting, swap over the o'ring to the filter, and screw them together. That shortens things up alittle.
Tom

additional brackets

My solution was very similar. I bought two additional brackets from Van's in order to lengthen the mounting area. I connect the filter directly to the pump with a single connector. Then, because I put the transducer cabin side in the standard location, I had TS Flightline build me a small hard-line to connect from the pump to the red-cube. ... Full disclosure: not flying yet.

Several pictures here:
https://520lw.wordpress.com/2015/05/17/cabin-side-fuel-system/

Last edited:
You could also orient the pump vertically (pump horizontal, but extra manifold part above it instead of beside it) and make a loop line from the filter to the pump.

here's another way to do it, (sounds like what Jesse suggested) with a little help from TS Flightlines:

xmihde.jpg

Dave
N102FM

Last edited:
Serviceability?

Before you settle on a final decision, keep in mind that you'll need to remove and service your filter once every so often.
As easy as it seems at this point, doing anything in the tunnel after the fuel valve and heater hoses are installed can be quite an unattractive chore.
I placed 2 AFP filters, one each under the front seats, very easily accessible
and with 2 filters you can cut your filter inspection in half as well.
Your pump and other fuel system components will need little if any service,
rather a visual inspection at annual and in order to access anything in the
tunnel you have to remove the seats anyway.
Think about it.

I installed an Airward service panel on the side of the right seat tunnel. Right now seems easy enough to get to. But I don't have all the hoses and what not in there yet.

Thank you for all the input, I ended up moving the pump bracket forward a few inches and making a 2" flared pipe to connect it to filter. I have added an access panel on the side so getting to the filter is not bad, I have tested that. If I had not already done this I really like the idea of rotating the pump 90 degrees and connecting it to the filter with a flexible hose. Maybe on the next build (don't tell my wife I said that :)).

I have a similar problem with the new pump setup being much longer with the filter in tandem, I also have the fuel flow senders in the tunnel.

I already have 2 AN aluminium filters under the seat panels, one from each tank before the fuel lines get to the tunnel. Getting under the seats is easier than opening up the tunnel for me as I have the centre arm rest etc.

Is it now possible to install the airflow filter on the other side of the firewall. It is all aluminium after all, and I have a return line installed in any case after the mechanical pump to keep the fuel cool.

This would save space in the tunnel and also act as an extra filter to stop pump parts and debris blocking the fuel line in the mechanical pump. Might even be easier to open and clean out rather than taking the tunnel apart every time.

Back