What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More about Surefly and their customer service

Steve Barnes

Well Known Member
In Dec. of 2016 I purchased and installed a Surefly Electronic Ignition. From day one it performed flawlessly as I hoped it would.

In June of 2017 I got a call from Jason Hutchinson GM of Surefly. He said that there may or may not be a problem of the shaft alignment and wanted to send me a new unit just to be sure. Up to this point I had flawless performance from my Surefly.

About April 2019 I talked to Jason on an unrelated matter and he again wanted to send me another brand new unit. He said that they had changed the design of the Surefly case where it mated to the engine accessory case. The old design was a perfectly functioning clamp down design to the accessory case with a gasket (no leaking). He sent me the new design Surefly that was slotted where the studs come through from the accessory case and and an "O" ring seal to boot.

I have received lots of unsolicited service from Jason and Surefly. This whole time I have received flawless service from my Surefly E.I.

Disclaimer; I have no affiliations with Surefly or Jason. Just a very happy customer.

Steve Barnes

Thx for the report Steve, got one setting on the shelve that I received early May, will be installing in the next couple of weeks, will check if it?s the new design. I talked with them at S n F and was very impressed with what they had to say, unit looks very nice. Pete

It is refreshing to hear positive feedback about a company online. It's much more common for people to post widely and loudly about a negative experience, but stay silent when good service is received. I wish more people posted positive reviews when things work out well.

I am doing an install replacing the right magneto on my Husky with a SureFly non-impulse replacement model. I talked to SureFly at this year's Sun N Fun and they were very nice and forthright. I asked them how they got their aggressive pricing and they said they went online and researched what a Slick rebuilt mag cost and matched that price. That explains why they are so much cheaper than P-mags.

I am keeping my impulse left mag so that I can have both it and the SureFly fire at start. This means that I have removed the grounding jumper from the Bendix ignition switch that would normally ground the right mag during start. Also, I elected to go the fixed timing route on my parallel valve engine so no advance timing curve and associated manifold pressure connection.

Since my battery is in the rear of the aircraft I had to run an "always hot" lead wire to the battery side of the master relay back there with a 10amp breaker. That is a requirement for the Surefly to bypass any switchable electrical bus.

Jim

I used to deal with Jason quite a bit when he was the Plane Power/SkyTec go-to guy in Granbury. He always went above and beyond when supporting those products. He gave me a first hand look at the Surefly when they just started development, he is very proud and enthusiastic about the unit and I believe it will do well with Jason supporting it.

Anyone using two of them? Or with mogas? (I realize we're the experimental guys, but the website does have some cautions aimed at the certified crowd...)

Anyone using two of them? Or with mogas? (I realize we're the experimental guys, but the website does have some cautions aimed at the certified crowd...)

Mostly a matter of installing an independent electrical supply for each.

Mogas no issue, as the Surefly offers some level of choice in timing.

Back