What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making my own instrument panel

rongawer

Well Known Member
Because I'm not using the standard avionics package from Van's, I need to cut my own panel, so I decided to make it a single plate from 0.080" 2024-T3. It's 0.017" thicker than what Van's uses, but it's pretty standard for airplane panels.

53miesZ.jpg

I'm going to have dual G3X touch panels with a GTN625 and GMC307 above the switches in the center, more switches on the left and my ELT remote on the right.

I'll be sure to post finished pics, but it's progress and I just wanted to post something on this beautiful Memorial Day.

Also, I figured out a simple method to post images, that I can even do on my iPad; I just email a pic to myself as "medium" size, then post to imgur.com, copy the link and voila - ready to post link and photo.

Avionics going in

It's been a while in the making, but I finally got my avionics mounted in my panel.

BJsac2N.jpg

Looks v nice, can u list the items ?

Sure, It's a G3X Touch PFD/MFD. The switches are from Rocker Switch Pros with aviation symbols. In the center is a GMC307 AP controller over a GTN625. On the far right is my Artex 345 ELT remote and on the far left above the ignition switch is a selector toggle for ignition pack A or B.

Behind the panel is:
GTR20 COM radio/intercom
GDL29 data box for GTN
VP-X Sport electrical system
GDR39R ADS-B in receiver
GEA24 engine information system
UL Power ECU

My ELT and GTX23 ES Transponder are located on a shelf I made behind the baggage compartment in the tail.

Yes, but it is a $30,000 panel.

Not really. The reality is that all in, including all switches, wiring, connectors, electrical system, relays, antennas, control sticks, and avionics, it was $23,000. Compare that to the Vans avionics kit with electrical parts and it's not much more.

It took a lot of homework, bargain shopping and do-it myself effort though.

Last edited:
Amazing panel, can u fly IFR ?

Yes, I can. That was the main plan for me to be able to do my daily commute to work. I tend to have about 70 approaches a year with the marine layer on the coast and wanted to have the best situational awareness and setup I could in our little hummingbird.

Joe, thanks. It's coming along.

Wow...impressive Ron, congrats!! I remember all those times back in the '80s where I couldn't get home to PAO because of the marine layer. I was stuck shooting an approach into SJC and waiting until about noon so I could get a SVFR clearance to PAO. I love the fact that they have an approach now and you can take advantage of it in your -12!!

Yes, I can. That was the main plan for me to be able to do my daily commute to work. I tend to have about 70 approaches a year with the marine layer on the coast and wanted to have the best situational awareness and setup I could in our little hummingbird.

Joe, thanks. It's coming along.

Isn't power for all that marginal with just the engine generator? Or are you adding an aux generator?

Also, are you leaving the pitot where it was? I'm thinking about pitot heat ...

Nice panel :D

How much room do you have with the Canopy frame? My panel is close and just barely fits. How thick is the bezel on the Garmin?

new panel_10.jpg

Look at the upper left corner of the GRT on the pilot's side - not much room.

Wow...impressive Ron, congrats!! I remember all those times back in the '80s where I couldn't get home to PAO because of the marine layer. I was stuck shooting an approach into SJC and waiting until about noon so I could get a SVFR clearance to PAO. I love the fact that they have an approach now and you can take advantage of it in your -12!!

Thanks Paul. It'll be nice for those "gentleman IFR" days. I don't have any plans to launch off into the clag for a hard IFR flight though, but it would be possible. Can't wait until we can go flying together.

Isn't power for all that marginal with just the engine generator? Or are you adding an aux generator?

Also, are you leaving the pitot where it was? I'm thinking about pitot heat ...

I have a Garmin heated pitot with AOA that is mounted out in the left wing (...where God intended :D ). I have a 50A permanent magnet alternator that should do well. My computed loads are about 39A, but that's with everything on, the aux power outlet with a 5A load and full pitot heat. Pitot heat drops off pretty quick after you turn it on as the probe heats up. I expect full electrical loads around 30A, or less, in normal flight.

Nice panel :D

How much room do you have with the Canopy frame? My panel is close and just barely fits. How thick is the bezel on the Garmin?

Look at the upper left corner of the GRT on the pilot's side - not much room.

Thank you!

I don't have my canopy done yet, but I did install the frame to test this as I was installing to be sure about clearance. Unless something changes dimensionally with the canopy attachment, it should be ok.

With the frame mounted
KNAD5OE.jpg

About 1/4" gap
f3IciNE.jpg

Here's an updated

I'm going to be moving my airplane to the airport in a couple weeks, but it's essentially done.

This is my panel with the canopy open:
EQm_sUUHVARPupH74T_7zvUBJD8xcK7lF-f9jZAfJJISww

And this is it closed:
ES1GTEhm2GhIk-lxOEaYYq0Bp1_ZMOnvLcyckmRTMUXMIg

I meant to add that once I finished up, I found I had to remove a little material at the upper outboard corners of each display to prevent any contact with the canopy bar. It would open and close, but rubbed. Rather than trim the bar (allowed in the drawings), I decided milling off a little plastic easy. I meant to go back and put some black paint on the corners, but just realized when I saw the picture online that I forgot that. Anyway, I had a "I have made fire" kind of moment when I turned it on and it all actually works, including all of the engine telemetry. Now, on to the actual engine noises...

Last edited:
RV-12iS panel

Realize it is an old thread, but am finishing fuselage and using the AFS 5600 in my 12iS also with the ULPower engine. From the pictures, it looks like you just covered the center tunnel. How do you like the panel mount throttle vs the lever and do you think planing on doing something with the center tunnel makes sense? (ie: glove box, USB port, center storage) Seems like a good spot to use. I think the plans puts a USB port in it.

Back