What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

POH Printing Help?

BillL

Well Known Member
I have looked everywhere, searched VAF, even tried print settings and have about 30 pages of failures.

I have downloaded the Hegy and Repuchi POH versions from VAF and can not get them, it, to print on half a page duplex. I accidentally made one, but can not replicate the settings. :confused: A straight print gets it to a half page size by side and folding in the middle mades a good back-to-back page. But want to do that on just one thickness of paper. The margins are good to allow this and use a spiral plastic binding. If I can just print the darn thing.

Any help? I have Mac with Word 14.2.5 and Win10 w/2011 Word. Brother printer that has duplex. The Win10 machine seems to have better options.

Last edited:
Search for the booklet printing settings. It should be able to print in the way you want.

some things are just....well.....funny

well Bill, I am no expert, but pretty sure you have to go into...

Printers.....Ctrl <P>
settings;

Windows (emulate) print settings;
TAB to 'print setup'

open - page orientation
select - portrait/landscape
default ( click 'double-sided')

exit - goto Word doc. setup

Format - document settings
Image or text.........
select _ 'TIP-UP'
OR _ 'slider'

then 'trike'
or 'tailwheel'

that should do it!

( sorry, couldn't resist!)

there are a few online helpers - the Mac community being what it is...this is a real link....

https://lavagoat.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/change-default-printer-settings-on-mac-os-x/

best of luck, I also struggled with my POH, and ended up printing on decal stock, and slapping onto thin plastic that the binding place pre-punched for me!

Did you try cutting the paper in half first, load intoto the printer, change the paper size and select duplex printing in the print dialog?

Thanks for the serious replies, and the funny ones too.

Booklet is not part of the core MSWord application for MAC. It is for WIN10, Word 2011.

I investigated (it continues) the half sheet. There is only a setting on my Brother for A5 size, maybe it will work, but I will have to take a ream of paper to Kinkos and get it cut on their shear. A test will be run to see if it can handle duplex with that size. Maybe a custom size setting will work instead.

I did finally stumble on the booklet maker for MAC - and, yes, my antenna went up seeing the mac update look and feel so went to the second link above and downloaded a trial version. I am still struggling with it (it's a personal limitation) and the actual POH available for VAF download.

My Brother is wirelessly connected to my local network and was able to use it's ip address and log in to set a new"default" setting for short side duplex printing. Hopefully between the create-booklet and accessing the print settings success can be achieved.

It is good to know that create-booklet has been used successfully for a POH.

In the end, if one can be printed, it will be used for a while then I'll print on synthetic paper and get Kinkos (or Office Max . . .or . . ) to punch/drill the binder side for spiral or plastic binder. This is one of the more difficult tasks in the entire build. More than the tip-up, ok . . well . . maybe not that tough.

Weather sucks here for the next few days, so I am grounded for more Phase I flights and can spend some time learning new skills even if they are perishable.

Bill,

Here's the settings page for the Two-Sided printing. I think that's what you are looking for.

Word -> File -> Print... > Copies and Pages dropdown to Layout.

two_sided_printsettings.jpg

Success - a wandering path

Bill,

Here's the settings page for the Two-Sided printing. I think that's what you are looking for.

Word -> File -> Print... > Copies and Pages dropdown to Layout.

Lenny, that is indeed the setting I wanted for the correct 2-sided printing, but between WIN10, word 2011, and my brother HL2270 printer, those options are not available, BUT I do have a measure of success.

Without all the 50 pages of experiments, here is the inelegant workaround.

Using the Repuchi POH file, I printed using cutepdf and settings of 1 page, scaled to letter size. [note:Booklets etc dont work here.] Then, opening tat pdf print file in Adobe Acrobat (free version) the print option does have the booklet option, binding direction, and duplex rotation edge. That printed two pages on one letter size, and put the correct pages in the correct order for folding and stapling for a left side binding. Yaaa - now is time to do the actual content.

I did some documentation of this so I can replicate it later, unless the SW gets "improved".:eek:

Back