What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carburetor Bowl Gasket Leak

RFSchaller

Well Known Member
I am finishing up my 5th annual. I installed the after market fuel lines and new coolant hoses. I used the rubber gaskets on one carburetor bowl. When I pressurized the fuel system with the electric fuel pump I had fuel seeping around the bowl. Fortunately I had a couple of ROTAX gaskets on hand and fixed it by replacing it. I am posting for two reasons:

1. The reusable rubber bowl gaskets may not seal well.

2. The leakage in the drip pans (car gas) looked like oil. If you ever think you see oil on your drip pans be sure to check that it is not in fact gas!

Just wondering if the float in the bowl is properly adjusted. I'm not familiar with the Rotax, but remember that it could be a pain getting the floats set right on my old BMW motorcycle with those Bing Carbs. Gas would pour out if the needle value wasn't fully closed when the bowl filled up. John

I too had similar issues with the rubber bowl gaskets. Replaced them with Rotax gaskets and now no leak issues.

Back