What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

propeller choice

acwrench

any comment or suggestions on matching an IO-320 with a fixed pitch propeller? looked at Catto, Warp Drive, Sensenich wood and metal.:eek:

Avoid the Warp Drive. They don't work well on RVs.
I have run Sensenich wood and metal; both good.
Settled on Catto 3-blade; Best F/P prop I've ever flown behind.

Prince or Catto

There are probably other excellent props, too, but I can personally recommend both of these and the excellent people who make them and stand behind them.

Mel,
what's their after sale support like?
Pat(acwrench)
I assume you mean Catto.
After sale support is excellent. When I ordered my prop we weren't sure exactly how much hp I had, since my engine was modified. Craig purposely built the prop slightly over pitched. When I tried it, it didn't do quite what he said it would. I told him I was very satisfied with the performance, but he insisted on my sending it back for rework. Turn around time was about 2 weeks. The prop then performed exactly like he said it would.

Mel,

If I plan to add an ignition or exhaust mod later, something that would change the power output, should that be a consideration when ordering?
What has the maintenance been like on the leading edges? Any special precautions flying in weather?

Pat

Mel,
If I plan to add an ignition or exhaust mod later, something that would change the power output, should that be a consideration when ordering?
What has the maintenance been like on the leading edges? Any special precautions flying in weather?
Pat

Typically wood and/or composite props aren't as subject to harmonic vibrations or pulses caused by ignition and exhaust mods that metal ones are. Of course, from a liability standpoint, "you're on your own!" As far as power output, obviously if you increase power, you're going to turn the same prop faster.
I generally throttle back a little in rain although with the leading edge tape, Graig says you don't need to.

Mel, and all thanks for your input. Emailed Catto props and got the facts from them today. Looks like this install would do well with a 2 blade prop.

Pat:)

Very satisifed with my Catto 3-blade 68x76. Had some concerns early on but Craig was very helpful with the personal touch.

This is what I like about the vendors in the experimental market is that you can talk to the guy who built the product.

Catto

I have had 3 RV6's. 2 I replaced the wood props with a Catto 2 blade. Increased performance and very little noise. I highly recommend them. Have Craig install the leading edge tape and you won't have to worry about rain damage. I now have a FP Sensinich metal. it paaerforms well but is much louder and of course heavier. I bought the plane that way. Otherwise, I would have another Catto.
Woodman

I have almost 500 hours on my Catto...

...Three-blade. The leading edges are needing some attention from sand erosion and so on.

You guys that have tape on notice much loss of speed?

Thanks,

I assume you mean Catto.
After sale support is excellent. When I ordered my prop we weren't sure exactly how much hp I had, since my engine was modified. Craig purposely built the prop slightly over pitched. When I tried it, it didn't do quite what he said it would. I told him I was very satisfied with the performance, but he insisted on my sending it back for rework. Turn around time was about 2 weeks. The prop then performed exactly like he said it would.

I had the opposite issue. Craig was afraid of I wouldn't have enough power so he under pitched the prop for my O-290-D2 (68 x 64" pitch). The problem was that he couldn't "adjust" it upward so I was stuck and he wanted me to buy a new prop. Even at a discount it was well over a grand.

This left me with a very good climb prop but I couldn't hit Van's cruise numbers for this engine / airframe combo.

BTW, I found out that prop is what he sells to the O-235 RV-3 guys and it works great. Heck, I would bet it would even work well in an O-235 powered RV-9. But on my engine, I could spin it 270 RPM past redline at 10,000' DA.

Why

Avoid the Warp Drive. They don't work well on RVs.
I have run Sensenich wood and metal; both good.
Settled on Catto 3-blade; Best F/P prop I've ever flown behind.

What is the issue with the Warp Drive HP props? I know nothing about them. Just curious.

any comment or suggestions on matching an IO-320 with a fixed pitch propeller? looked at Catto, Warp Drive, Sensenich wood and metal.:eek:

Are you interested in a ground adjustable propeller? You did not mention Whirlwind? Whirlwind and Sensenich both offer ground adjustable propellers that can be fine tuned to your desires and changes. If you are interested I will be selling my 200 SNEW whirlwind GA in a couple months for a good deal. It is a great propeller, nothing wrong with it but in the interest of experimenting I have ordered a 3 blade Catto. I have already ran a two blade Catto and two blade GA whirlwind and now want to try a 3 blade Catto. Assuming it works initially I will probably unload the 2 blade whirlwind GA. It is gray with white tips, with nickel leading edges and a couple pinhole scratches in the paint. Pulled her up to 2700 RPM briefly on Sunday and was truing out at 163 KTAS after a few seconds in an RV-9A!

What is the issue with the Warp Drive HP props? I know nothing about them. Just curious.

Everything I've heard about the WarpDrive props is that they don't handle the power pulses on Lycoming direct drive engines well.
All my information is from years ago. Don't know if they've fixed the problem.

Mel has it.

Mel has it and Catto is one of the best going on RV's these days. I might mention White House OH. however as the prop that come out of Prince for our RV's are also a good choice. They have been at this for 30-35 years are so. We have three or four in our area, two on our airport. We run one on our 8 at just below 200 Hp. and like it a lot. The "carbon plus P" can take race speeds and RPM's and has a very durable leading edge protector, don't ask how I know.
Most every one I have talked to about one that they have had for a while will not trade it for another. I will not change mine after knowing what it has been through. Just another sores. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Back