What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Fix during Parking

RV fan

Hello Gentlemens

have you Ideas for me, what ist the "best" Rudder fixation for longer Parking during Cross flights...

It should be simple to Montage, Light, and should stopped and fixation the Rudders savely. (specielly Empenage Rudders)

Maybe you have Informations or Pictures for me. (I will do a Homemade Solution wenn it's Possible)

Many Thanks
Manfred

Manfred,

This gust lock has worked well for me.

http://antisplataero.com/products/ultimate-gust-lock

OUJGQTAzQUY3QzZGQzcyMEU1QzU6NjZhNmUzYjBiNjA5NDNmMjY2ZGY0NDA1M2I0NmU0NjU6Ojo6OjA=

Steve

Very Simple

Take a long ( 12 or 14 inch) #40 drill and cut off the the end so you have only a smooth rod. Measure the distance from the rudder horn on one side and the rudder stop. Using heat on the rod, bend two 90 degree angles to form a "U" shape. Drill 1/8" holes in the stop and horn. The "u" should drop in thru the top. Make a bottom strap with two holes to slide onto the drill rod when it's in place. You can use aluminum for this piece as it doesn't need to be as strong as the rod. I have a "remove" banner tied to the "U" which I loop around the strap to hold it in place when the lock is on. Very simple, strong, and easy to use. If you need pictures, send me your email.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Rudder

I just stuff my passenger bottom seat cushion in between spar and rudder peddles works great for RV6.Seat belt on stick.
Bob

Build it as a taildragger. That way, once the little wheel is on the ground, the rudder is locked in by the tailwheel.

That said, the AntiSplat lock is really nice.

Try using the search Advance Search feature, there are some nice homemade gust locks out there.

I used a scrap piece of aluminum bar, bent to fit flush over the rudder horn and rudder stop and hole cutout to clear the rudder cable bolt head. Two small screws and wingnuts hold it in place. Put a big red flag on it, too.

Chris

Gust Locks

As always each to his own. I would avoid external locks that could be overlooked. I know we all diligently preflight and do pre takeoff control checks but humans being humans stuff will and does happen. There have been numerous aircraft accidents related to control locks. The types of gust locks that must be removed to get into the pilots seat look like a good idea.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

As always each to his own. I would avoid external locks that could be overlooked. I know we all diligently preflight and do pre takeoff control checks but humans being humans stuff will and does happen. There have been numerous aircraft accidents related to control locks. The types of gust locks that must be removed to get into the pilots seat look like a good idea.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I am in agreement with the sentiment, but I have found that with the external rudder lock, it is immediately noticeable should one try to taxi with it in place - when the pedals don't move as you steer it is very obvious. I know this because despite my big red flag, I did overlook it once. I was only going to taxi to fuel before parking it for the night so I didn't do a full pre-flight (not an excuse, still shame on me), but I didn't get two feet before I knew it was locked.

When it comes to aileron and elevator, I agree. I used the seatbelt around the stick method. Can't sit down with it locked. I know it isn't the most robust method, but if I expect nasty weather I find a hangar, even if I need to pay up.

Chris

I saw a -10 at 9GA2 (flyin). He used some small PVC that was slit lengthwise and fit over the cable on each side. Both had Remove Before Flight flags that be hard to miss on preflight.

I made something out of 1" PVC. It goes between the pedals and the spar. I used a 3/4" wood dowel with a clevis pin on the aft end for easy installation. It's strong, easy to install, light and only about $5 in parts. The dowel snuggles up between the floor and a couple of bolt heads that lock it in place.

The only downside is that it looks like a $5 gust lock. I used the remaining PVC pipe for u shaped wheel chocks that also work well and look cheap. On those I added some left over Flexible PVC waste hose from my boat on the outside of the two short pieces. It makes it more tacky and helps to grip the ground and the tire. Its good to have these during your travels as not all FBOs have the thin/short chokes.

Larry

Last edited:
You'd be amazed what pilots will miss, in the way of external control locks and covers. I'm aware of a flight crew that left the inlet cover in place on a jet engine and tried to start said engine ($$$$) as well as all of the well-known accidents where crews tried to take off with control locks engaged.

I'd prefer to use a control lock that makes it impossible to even sit in the cockpit without removing it entirely.

I used a scrap piece of aluminum bar, bent to fit flush over the rudder horn and rudder stop and hole cutout to clear the rudder cable bolt head. Two small screws and wingnuts hold it in place. Put a big red flag on it, too.

Chris

Trank you very much for this Helpful Feedbacks.
Manfred

Antisplat

I use the Antisplat for my 9A. When the wind is howling.... I can lock the rudder before I even exit the plane. In the short time one has to walk back and do an external lock, the rudder can be slammed sideways and get dented by the elevator.
And I usually don't overlook things between my legs when I get ready to fly. I suppose that is common amongst fast airplane owners.

I am in agreement with the sentiment, but I have found that with the external rudder lock, it is immediately noticeable should one try to taxi with it in place - when the pedals don't move as you steer it is very obvious.

You would most likely be shocked at how many people actually taxi "A" models without moving the rudder, steering entirely with the brakes.

You would most likely be shocked at how many people actually taxi "A" models without moving the rudder, steering entirely with the brakes.

A practice likely supported by Rapco and other brake pad suppliers.:D

I guess it's hard for me to imagine how anybody could put their feet on the pedals and not immediately notice that they were locked, but I've over-estimated people before!

Chris

I guess it's hard for me to imagine how anybody could put their feet on the pedals and not immediately notice that they were locked, but I've over-estimated people before!

Chris

Even if one taxied using only brakes, and didn't notice during taxi that the control is locked, on an A model it is possible to include the rudder in the "controls free and correct" portion of the pre-takeoff/runup checklist...

great Martin... simple, light and easy to store in Plane....

have you the "SPacer" on both Sides??

greetings Manfred

Okay, I gotta ask: the Hoser? Navy pilot who smacked the Air Force around (and I say that as the son of an Air Force man)? Joe Satrapa?

Using 1" pvc pipe, I attached a T and made a big U using 2 90 elbows, applied a radius on the end to form fit over the rudder peddle tubing. Cut & sized the pipe length to fit from the rudder pedals to the spar.

Cost less than $5, and I will never forget to disarm it.

I stole the idea from other RVers several years ago.

Last edited:
Back