What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax push rods manditory check/fix

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Received a note from Rotax that some engines that were built or rebuilt in 16' - 17' have bad push rods installed. If that issue was discussed here, I missed it - sorry.

I'm interested to know if anyone has info that includes the serial numbers of the affected engines. Thanks in advance for the info.

Yes I have one of the affected engines. Haven't even had a chance to start it yet and got a call letting me know we need to take it apart.

Beyond disappointed with Rotax, their US support and the lack of quality control in manufacturing.

I did start a thread with the SB number but it was fairly cryptic in the subject.

I have a brand new Rotax still in its shipping box for my Rans. It was on the list.

Took about 30 minutes to remove the valve covers and check all the pushrods with a mirror and flashlight (because it was in the box) and button it back up. Didn't have to rotate the crank, there is enough of the pushrods showing to see the color of the tips. If the engine is mounted it will be easier.

All was good. The inspection is easy, if you have a wrong pushrods it is a different story.

I have a brand new Rotax still in its shipping box for my Rans. It was on the list.

Took about 30 minutes to remove the valve covers and check all the pushrods with a mirror and flashlight (because it was in the box) and button it back up. Didn't have to rotate the crank, there is enough of the pushrods showing to see the color of the tips. If the engine is mounted it will be easier.

All was good. The inspection is easy, if you have a wrong pushrods it is a different story.

Thanks - I had intended to have a look but put it off because I'll be purging the oil system in a couple days and will pull the covers then. Perhaps I'll have a look today.

Back