What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Specialty Aircraft Brake line Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Has anybody used these brake lines? I am trying to figure out how to route the lines through the bulkhead.

I know what holes Tim Olson used, which was the hole suggested in the plans (33-9). But when you enlarge the hole to 1/2", then there would only be about 1.4 mm between the enlarged hole and the existing hole. I was thinking that that would not be enough metal between the two holes.

thanks
ken

If you enlarge the holes with a Drumel tool , enlarge the holes going away from each other maintaining the hole separation.

Ken, you can carefully enlarge the holes. Steve and I debated this for a long time, and Tim confirmed it with his beta test. Another reason for the -3 hoses. We didnt want to enlarge the hole to 5/8 to clear a -4 B Nut-----that certainly would have been too much. We debated on making a long bulkhead fitting to allow a passthrough, but with the holes close together it would have been a challenge.

Many RV14A's are now using this hose package, including several with the Beringer Brake conversion, with great success.

Tom and Steve

Has anybody used these brake lines? I am trying to figure out how to route the lines through the bulkhead.

I know what holes Tim Olson used, which was the hole suggested in the plans (33-9). But when you enlarge the hole to 1/2", then there would only be about 1.4 mm between the enlarged hole and the existing hole. I was thinking that that would not be enough metal between the two holes.

thanks
ken

Ken,

Tim did deviate slightly from the plans and routing to utilize different holes than specified by vans to give him the max edge distance to allow the .5" snap bushing.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact us.

Steve and Tom

Last edited:
I recently finished putting these in my 14A, and ended up taking the similar path to Tim Olson.

Seems to have worked out really well. Happy to answer any questions you have, but I'm sure Steve and Tom would be more qualified and happy to help.

Back