What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS EFII Feedback sought

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have been in touch with Ross and Les in Calgary, but am now seeking field reports of SDS progress or issues since install - it is in no way critical, but as we did with P-Mags when they got better and better, it is field reports that help us move forward.

I have every faith in Ross and his excellent work and we have his inlet fittings on our motor.

Our issue is trying to get SDS allowed on an IO-540 in a 4 seater in the UK. 4 seat EAB aircraft fall under a different scope than 2 seaters due to restrictions historically applied by our CAA when they allowed the LAA over here to proceed - specifically the 10. Pretty much everything has to mirror or be the same as certified during the build.

I am trying to put forward a case to go for SDS on our RV10 in build, but need all the warts and problems so we can prove that

A - The product is sound and of good quality ( I have no issues with that ! )

B - Any issues have been identified, supported and rectified.

PM or contact on trent 772 at graffika dot biz

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Lots of Reno racers are using the system----including Sport Gold winner Andrew Findley, Sport Bronze winner Lee Ulrich, and Sport Medallion winner Mark Frederickson.

I have crewed for Mark for 3 years, never even had to take the cowling off during the races. Speaks to the reliability of the system.

Might be useful info to support your case.

Last edited:
The racer guys are the ones who I would like to tap into. They run on the extreme edge. Also, why would they choose SDS if it didn't give them a perceived advantage ?

Mike----the popularity of the SDS system and inquiries by clients moved us to start developing kits for the RV14 and the RV10. Several other clients with different airframes have done some beta testing of components for us on their particular planes. For those countries that require Gascolators or wing root filters, we've built 2 versions that are in beta tests now---one of which is Canadian.

Since Ross is in Canada, he knows the hoops that have to be jumped through to satisify the Canadian criteria, and possibly those of Australia, and some European regulators dues to their similarity. His system has been flown thousands of hours on all kinds of aircraft, and raced even more in cars all over the world. I think the reliablity speaks for itself.

Tom

Tom,

I know !

Now, I need to persuade our lot that they are OK. Hopefully, we can get enough anecdotal info to present a case. After all, there are 3 or 4 aeroplanes with SDS in the UK, but 2 seaters. There are Rotax powered Sling 4 seat aeroplanes in the UK....... so what is the difference ?

Might look at the military track record of the SDS EFI systems as "compelling evidence" in your favor too.

SDS EFI fantastic product and support

I have had two SDS EFI systems on two engines and they are comprehensive but simple and reliable. Support from Ross has been fantastic. While my kit project is not flying yet, I cannot imagine flying without the SDS EFI and the support from Ross that comes with it.

You can see my project thread in the link in my avatar.

I installed the SDS on my 9A during this past annual in early March, and absolutely love it. I recently had an issue with a component and the support from Ross was fantastic - he had a replacement component on a 2-day rush shipment from Canada before we even knew for certain that component was at fault - I wasn't even done troubleshooting yet.

As for how it works, I can't say enough good things about it. The ability to balance the fuel mix on a per-cylinder basis, move the ignition timing based on LOP or fuel type, and modify the fuel/ignition mapping across the engine operating spectrum is pretty trick.

It starts just like my pickup does now - it no longer cares about hot or cold or anywhere in between. 4th blade and it's idling smooth, every time. The efficiency at altitude is great - 2500 rpm WOTLOP with a little advance on the timing, and I'm seeing 155-157 ktas on 6.2-6.3 gallons per hour of 91E10. That's 25nm/gal for those of you keeping track...

Last edited:
I have been in touch with Ross and Les in Calgary, but am now seeking field reports of SDS progress or issues since install - it is in no way critical, but as we did with P-Mags when they got better and better, it is field reports that help us move forward.

I have every faith in Ross and his excellent work and we have his inlet fittings on our motor.

Our issue is trying to get SDS allowed on an IO-540 in a 4 seater in the UK. 4 seat EAB aircraft fall under a different scope than 2 seaters due to restrictions historically applied by our CAA when they allowed the LAA over here to proceed - specifically the 10. Pretty much everything has to mirror or be the same as certified during the build.

I am trying to put forward a case to go for SDS on our RV10 in build, but need all the warts and problems so we can prove that

A - The product is sound and of good quality ( I have no issues with that ! )

B - Any issues have been identified, supported and rectified.

PM or contact on trent 772 at graffika dot biz

Thanks for any input.

Mike

the Protek EFII is an SDS system. I've used it on two RV's over the last 7 or so years. Pleased with it.

Since then I've modified an old 911 turbo and am using a microsquirt and have learned a heck of a lot about EFI. The protek is pretty simple, the advance is MAP based and essentially just one big step from 25 btdc to I think 30 BTDC. If I were to do it again I think I'd attempt a microsquirt based installation myself and try a better ignition map.

The older Protek EFII systems were rebranded SDS control module units, unlike the current SDS EM-5 offerings which have many updated features incorporated. Overall both were & are great reliable units.

The current Protek EFII System32 is a total different mfg/product line.

---

I have a dual SDS EI/EFI system in my current 6A. Installation was straight forward, programming has been progressive as I am targeting for optimal hands off operation. The system & components have been totally reliable. My one complaint is Ross is forever improving his kit components and only wish I had the 'latest & greatest' in my plane, but very satisfied with what I have.

I just finished a SDS EI/EFI install in a F-1 Rocket with a Continental 550. This is a dual module (dual EI/split EFI), split injection, 3 cyls per module to accommodate cylinder trimming. Again, wishing I had the newer control head, but engine is running great on the system as is. Tuning is in process. Fully expect this one to have great reliability & performance.
New features planned for the EM-6 version module will greatly benefit 6 cylinder SDS installations when Ross finally releases them.

I also installed (progressively) SDS systems on a HRII (Race 57). First unit being a CPI single ignition for experimenting with some variations in ignition timing on the engine. This plane being a Reno racer, the quest was forever asking for more speed, so a major mod was installing a supercharger for a big power boost. We found that the mechanical fuel injection didn't play well with this set-up so we opted for a single module SDS EI/EFI addition, coupled with the existing CPI ignition, so resulting in dual EI, single EFI. This gave a means for controlling different settings for pleasure flying vs full out race conditions (controlling differing fuel maps, fuel mix, controlling H2O/meth pumps, etc.). The SDS systems proved totally reliable. Engine wise, we gained reliability because programmed mapping insured we didn't operate in any dangerous timing or fuel related operating conditions.
Wish we planned out the charging system as well... it couldn't keep up to all the specialty equipment 'stuff' on board running during racing... some re-engineering took place on the ramp between races for that...

The first SDS system I installed was an EM-4 single EI/EFI version on a Turbo'd Subaru STI engine. No installation kits available for that one but Ross gave great guidance for what I had to do, and after initial tuning, ran with perfect reliability. Only adjustment to that engine was to turn down the boost, way too much power for the airframe.

I've installed CPI systems on a couple planes and helped on another. All are running well with the owners not remembering they are even there, which is great.

Farther back, I've owned 2 other RVs that I installed Lightspeed ignitions, have installed Electroair on another plane, but a fun fact is that I've never had a PMag in my hangar, just never ran into one.
Hope these comments help.

Last edited:
Back