What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL Comm

v10

I have the v10. I was an early adopter. There was an issue with mine, but they replaced it quickly with their improved version and I am 110% happy so far. Excellent value, and with the comm allowing dual scan, and a very decent intercom all in a small light box its great. For my simple vfr ship, there was not a better solution. I do carry a vertex vx3 withhead set plug attached within reach just incase I ever need a back up comm. Over 100hrs and wouldnt change a thing.

zvsis5.jpg

Last edited:
I did a new panel for a non-RV aircraft and it doesn't seem to play well with two different PS engineering 6000m audio panels. There is a "reverb" sound in it. I got no response from the company I purchased this from to attempt to resolve the issues. Personally I find the push pad tuning awkward to use.

v6

I am planning on getting the v6 in the near future for my rv8 build. I chose it because of the fact that it has an intercom built in. That is space saving for me and economical, one less thing to buy. I have no exp. with it but I have read nothing but good things so I will report back when I get it installed and tested.

bird

The V6 has knobs, not push buttons. Also a nice full intercom. If you use one of their EFIS units you tune from there anyway.

If you want to use the V10 (or V6) with an external intercom, please switch the internal noise canceling or VOX to the "OFF" state.
Also adjust microphone levels to low. You may also have to play around with the side tone settings depending on how your intercom handles side tone. My suggestion would be "TX only" or even "OFF" if the intercom does not disconnect the audio input on TX.
If this is not done you will have two feedback audio paths and the digital path in the radio is very slightly delayed and this will give you a "bathroom" sound.

In a nutshell: With an external intercom, all internal intercom functions must be disabled for the audio paths to be correct. You must not duplicate any paths.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I did a new panel for a non-RV aircraft and it doesn't seem to play well with two different PS engineering 6000m audio panels. There is a "reverb" sound in it. I got no response from the company I purchased this from to attempt to resolve the issues. Personally I find the push pad tuning awkward to use.

My plane came with the V10. The radio and intercom work really well. As others have noted, I find the push-button tuning slow and awkward. The V6 is probably more my speed since I don't have an EFIS to drive the V10.

(If someone is intereted in a V10, I'd consider switching to the V6)

Last edited:
just got V6 operating

Initial indications are I will be pleased once I get sorted out with settings for noise rejection/voice activation.

After initial on ground checkout was successful, including comm check, went flying and while some of the flight was uneventful, ended up having some issues during the latter half of the flight. (problems getting voice pickup without "feedback") Reset some of the settings and it seems to be doing ok.... Tower recognizes better reception, compared to old radio.

I think if there is any problem with the unit,.. it is TOO adjustable and responsive due to the digital circuitry, and therefore there are several settings and modes that are possible and the best combination needs to be found. (Unlike the old analog machines that had very limited adjustment to be made.... another example of difference is that transmissions from distant airports would cut in clearly or drop out, where it would probably be just ignored on old analog)

Intercom also is fine, although at this point I just have pilot/co-pilot mics plugged in.

Nice capability in small package...

We have put a basic guide on our website at www.MGLAvionics.co.za - cutting out the mumbo-jumbo and just focussing on the basics.

Yes, there is a lot you can adjust but that is there for a purpose.

Provided your installation is correct it's simple. (I saw one that was not last week - the guy just used computer cable and routed ALL audio cables inside a single shielded multi-core cable for some 8 feet to a box where he plugged in his headsets - the microphone cables run right next to the headset cables and are not shielded against each other and yes - that can cause feedback).

OK, switch VOX or Vogad (whatever you have selected) OFF. Now adjust the microphone level so your voice is at about the same loudness as an incomming close range RX or similar to the level of the side-tone when you press TX. The TX has a very effective digital automatic gain adjust to ensure best possible modulation so you can use that as reference (Adjust mutiple levels if you are allowing each input to have its own level adjustment - useful if you are using different makes of headsets).
Make sure your microphone is right in front of your mouth - that is where we want it so the noise canceling can work at its best.

Once your intercom levels are good, select the type of noise canceling you would like to use. My recommendation for an RV would be "Vogad medium".
Now select the vogad level to about 2 or 3. That should be very close. Now go for a flight and adjust that level down until you hear the noise breaking through - then up it until the noise goes away. At that point start talking into the microphone. It should neatly allow your voice through but not the noise - like a VOX system just you don't notice any "switching" or delay to open the intercom.

Once you have found the right settings for your environment, you'll likely never touch them again...

One other thing to mention (not too relevant for a metal aircraft like an RV) is distance from the antenna to the headsets and headset wiring. The V6 is a powerful radio that modulates the transmit carrier always to maximum effect (80% modulation, digitally controlled). This increases the chance for "RF feedback" - similar to placing a microphone too close to the speaker on a stage. The RF received by the microphone amplifier in the headset cna partly demodulate the signal and thus complete a nice audio feedback path.

Another source: If your antenna connection is poor you will not radiate all (or most) of the RF energy through the antenna. Instead, your antenna cable becomes part of the antenna and your antenna cable shield which is routed inside the cockpit starts emmiting significant power levels. Of cause all of that is now causing trouble for the rest of your electronics and can even cause problems for EFIS systems.

The V6 typically produces a 7.5W RF level, slightly dependent on the frequency you have tuned it at (more at the band limits) which means some 18W peak power. This is significant so please ensure that installation is good or else there will be problems - that is almost guaranteed.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Initial indications are I will be pleased once I get sorted out with settings for noise rejection/voice activation.

After initial on ground checkout was successful, including comm check, went flying and while some of the flight was uneventful, ended up having some issues during the latter half of the flight. (problems getting voice pickup without "feedback") Reset some of the settings and it seems to be doing ok.... Tower recognizes better reception, compared to old radio.

I think if there is any problem with the unit,.. it is TOO adjustable and responsive due to the digital circuitry, and therefore there are several settings and modes that are possible and the best combination needs to be found. (Unlike the old analog machines that had very limited adjustment to be made.... another example of difference is that transmissions from distant airports would cut in clearly or drop out, where it would probably be just ignored on old analog)

Intercom also is fine, although at this point I just have pilot/co-pilot mics plugged in.

Nice capability in small package...

Sorry, let me clarify

my comment of them being "TOO adjustable",.. was meant to say us old guys just aren't into too much change.... and get comfortable with the old stuff, and at times find it easy to complain about the new. (some early attempts at automation of large machinery systems had the problem the folks just did not want to take the time to learn and adapt )

Similar with the distant comms.... we just mentally tune them out on old analog,... but in the world of 0s and 1s,.. they are there or not. Not to say it is bad, it is just "different"

bottom line,.. new stuff, (digital) new capability,.. sort it out and get on with it, and enjoy..

"us old guys".

Right.

I'm 51. I wrote the software in that V6. Hope that makes you feel better :)

Rainier

my comment of them being "TOO adjustable",.. was meant to say us old guys just aren't into too much change.... and get comfortable with the old stuff, and at times find it easy to complain about the new. (some early attempts at automation of large machinery systems had the problem the folks just did not want to take the time to learn and adapt )

Similar with the distant comms.... we just mentally tune them out on old analog,... but in the world of 0s and 1s,.. they are there or not. Not to say it is bad, it is just "different"

bottom line,.. new stuff, (digital) new capability,.. sort it out and get on with it, and enjoy..

Thanks for the response Rainier. The plane will be at my hangar next week so I'll check the settings. I never had much time to tweak things when the new panel was installed.

Rocky

The intercom

Greetings all:
First post here. Though I'm a great fan of the RV line I don't yet have the means to get one. I will though, even at the expense of my grandchildren's future.... ;o)

I searched for some review information on the MGL line and it brought me here.

I want to put a radio in my Luscombe. It will be mounted between the C***na 150 style seats. It's a very noisy environment (A-75) and my flight com intercom is totally inadequate to the task. Some folks say that radios with built in intercoms are often also not adequate to the task. I suspect that the Luscombe is similar to an RV noise wise. Comments from those with the V10 and the V6? I too will probably be better suited to the V6. I never liked the Terra pushbutton selection back in the olden days.

This will be mounted on a velcro fastened bracket between the seats and tied to a portable power supply that also supplies my GPS. It's temporary....right?

As long as we have the factory on board here I would also appreciate some feedback from Rainier

Dan
RV wannabe
Reno, NV

Greetings all:
First post here. Though I'm a great fan of the RV line I don't yet have the means to get one. I will though, even at the expense of my grandchildren's future.... ;o)

I searched for some review information on the MGL line and it brought me here.

I want to put a radio in my Luscombe. It will be mounted between the C***na 150 style seats. It's a very noisy environment (A-75) and my flight com intercom is totally inadequate to the task. Some folks say that radios with built in intercoms are often also not adequate to the task. I suspect that the Luscombe is similar to an RV noise wise. Comments from those with the V10 and the V6? I too will probably be better suited to the V6. I never liked the Terra pushbutton selection back in the olden days.

This will be mounted on a velcro fastened bracket between the seats and tied to a portable power supply that also supplies my GPS. It's temporary....right?

As long as we have the factory on board here I would also appreciate some feedback from Rainier

Dan
RV wannabe
Reno, NV

Hi Dan,

I think it'll work fine in your Luscombe....they generally are a measured amount less noisy than an RV at cruise speed (although still louder than a cub).

Cheers,
Stein

I recently flew an airplane with one and was pretty frustrated with the radio. For a pilot that jumps in an unfamiliar airplane with an unfamiliar radio to have to go thru several steps to get the microphone settings right for a different headset is just not feasible. How many pilots know what mic gain in decibels means? How many are going to sit there and read a manual for 20 minutes to figure out the clunky user interface? I eventually gave up and kept the mic unplugged...and I'm no stranger to the innards of aircraft radios.

Simplify the user interface and you will have a fine radio, but right now it is not very user-friendly.

Last edited:
Sounds like yours is a V-10, the smaller, newer V-6 has rotary controls.

There is a fair amount of discussion re: MGL at http://www.mglavionicsusers.org

GH

I recently flew an airplane with one and was pretty frustrated with the radio. For a pilot that jumps in an unfamiliar airplane with an unfamiliar radio to have to go thru several steps to get the microphone settings right for a different headset is just not feasible. How many pilots know what mic gain in decibels means? How many are going to sit there and read a manual for 20 minutes to figure out the clunky user interface? I eventually gave up and kept the mic unplugged...and I'm no stranger to the innards of aircraft radios.

Simplify the user interface and you will have a fine radio, but right now it is not very user-friendly.

I had those same issues with my Icom and Lightspeed headset. The difference was I had to pull the radio and adjust the pots through the top of the radio. This took many trial and error hours to arrive at something acceptable.

Yes, that is exactly the point.

I really think having access to the mic gain settings from the front panel improves on having to jank the radio out - fiddle with a hidden trimmer - slam it back - try it - jank it out - fiddle some more...

Who cares about "db" - it's just a number. Increase or decrease it until it sounds right.

Rainier

I had those same issues with my Icom and Lightspeed headset. The difference was I had to pull the radio and adjust the pots through the top of the radio. This took many trial and error hours to arrive at something acceptable.

I would like to have a MGL radio, but the holes mount is a non-starter for me. If MGL comes out with a rack-mount version then I'll be interested!

I would like to have a MGL radio, but the holes mount is a non-starter for me. If MGL comes out with a rack-mount version then I'll be interested!
Make a simple, stack-width. face plate. In it, mount an MGL V-6 and an MGL V-15 for a Com/Nav combo.

Make a simple, stack-width. face plate. In it, mount an MGL V-6 and an MGL V-15 for a Com/Nav combo.

That would take up more space in the panel that a Garmin 430. I have always liked the MGL comm since it first came out, but never considered it because of the planform. These days with all the EFIS boxes and other digital electronics, the majority of the holes in the panel are square. Trying to fit the large round hole of the MGL (only the 3 1/8 was available when I designed my panel) into a sqaure layout doesn't work very well.

That would take up more space in the panel that a Garmin 430. I have always liked the MGL comm since it first came out, but never considered it because of the planform. These days with all the EFIS boxes and other digital electronics, the majority of the holes in the panel are square. Trying to fit the large round hole of the MGL (only the 3 1/8 was available when I designed my panel) into a sqaure layout doesn't work very well.
Some correction needed in my post. I meant a faceplate for the 2.25" hole devices, so you would end up being about 2.5" high. Also V-6 is correct for the VHF radio but V15 is incorrect for the NAV radio not out yet. It may be V-20? So, in the meantime you can put one of the small form factor transponders in the other hole.

Some correction needed in my post. I meant a faceplate for the 2.25" hole devices, so you would end up being about 2.5" high. Also V-6 is correct for the VHF radio but V15 is incorrect for the NAV radio not out yet. It may be V-20? So, in the meantime you can put one of the small form factor transponders in the other hole.

Good point, the 2.25 size is a bit easier to deal with. What I would really like to see MGL do is make a unit with a remote head. Then you could just have various faceplates that would fit into different panel layouts. For somone with an stack layout there is no easy upgrade path to the MGL comm. If they had a modular head unit, you could just use the rack-mount faceplate and slide it into the existing panel.

Garmin GPS freq setting support on V6/V10

Since I haven't seen Rainier mention this:

We have a V10 in a little bi-plane (works well) and worked with Ranier and an MGL support person in Colorado to get Garmin x96 and Aera GPS units to be recognized when you use the GPS to set the standby frequency.

With the latest firmware both V10 and V6 radios now support this feature. And it is really useful! I know the .za site has the latest firmware. The mglavionics.com site probably does too by now.

I'm putting in an order for a V6 today. One of the many bi-plane owners is building a Onex. And yes, Rainier, we've ordered the Extreme too!

Neil

With the latest firmware both V10 and V6 radios now support freqency loading from x96 and Aera.

A few bits of useful info:

The new firmware that addresses the SL30/SL40 support with Garmin GPSs is #250812. That translated to 25-August-2012. The firmware is installed using the VHF1.exe frequency list editor utility. The instructions are right on the screen from the program. One thing that baffled me for a while was that my laptop has no serial ports so I use a USB-DB9 adapter. It works for other applications like programming my APRS tracker but it would not work with the VHF1.exe program. Thankfully I have a docking station for the laptop which has a real serial port. That worked perfectly.

MGL V6 with Dynon SkyView .

Does anyone have experience sending frequencies to a MGL V6 from a Dynon SkyView?

I've connected both using a serial port. Installed the latest firmware on the V6, set up the SkyView to address a Garmin SL40, selected frequencies and pressed the 'Tune comm' button... Nothing.

Any suggestions?

B.T.W. The audio from the skyView comes nicely in through the V6.

Thanks, Johan.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience sending frequencies to a MGL V6 from a Dynon SkyView?

I've connected both using a serial port. Installed the latest firmware on the V6, set up the SkyView to address a Garmin SL40, selected frequencies and pressed the 'Tune comm' button... Nothing.

Any suggestions?

B.T.W. The audio from the skyView comes nicely in through the V6.

Thanks, Johan.
I am the 'MGL Support' person mentioned earlier in this thread although I do not really work for MGL.

I do know that a V6 with the latest firmware, and wired correctly, will respond the SL40 protocol as sent from Garmin portable GPSs and MGL EFISs. Those are the two I verified as I do not have a Skyview.

My suggestion is to 'divide and conquer'. That is isolate where the problem is by driving the V6 with some other capable device to isolate the problem to the V6, wiring, or Skyview.

Beyond that, if you are technically inclined, what I did was to 'listen' in on the serial interface and see what actual commands are being sent. Do you know for sure what the Skyview is sending?

GH

MGL V6 with Dynon SkyView

Thanks for your suggestion GrayHawk,

The V6 is connected to the SkyView using serial port 2.
On serial port 1, I have a Garmin 795 connected. The setting for the port on the Garmin is 'Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out'. With the new firmware that works perfect. Hit a frequency on the Garmin 795 and it shows up as stand-by frequency on the V6.

When the 795's serial port is set to a Garmin protocol however, it doesn't work.

It looks like the V6 is only listening to 'VHF Out' whatever that is. Do you have a suggestion for a program that can log the squitter on the serial port?

Johan.

Last edited:
SkyView with MGL V-6

It turned out to be easier than I thought. Here are the settings/setup to make the MGL V-6 radio receive frequencies from a SkyView EFIS:

- update MGL V-6 firmware
- update SkyView to 7.x
- connect one of the MGL V-6 serial ports to a SkyView serial port (TX>RX, RX>TX)
- set the SkyView serial port to: 'Garmin SL-40'
- in the SkyView system setup, set 'Displayed Com' to 'Garmin SL-40'

Now, after selecting a frequency on the SkyView, press 'Tune Com' and the frequency appears in the MGL V-6 as a stand-by frequency.

On The SkyView display top bar, a red cross is visible where you would normally see the frequencies set in the radio. Hopefully this gets resolved in a future software update...

Johan.

Back