What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Baggage Ribs to 706 bulkhead confusion.

thelynns

I'm ready to rivet up the F-706 bulkhead and have noticed on the aft side of the 706 spar, the 729 bellcrank rib flange is very close and almost overlaps the holes in the 706 spar that attach the 729 baggage ribs.

Wow, that sounds confusing. A picture is work a thousand words. Please visit my log to see picture details of the problem.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=thelynns&project=408&category=0&log=77306&row=1

Seems I need to trim some away from the 729 rib flange or add a spacer?
I'm stuck.
Thnaks.

I just trimmed the flange of the rib back a little so from the edge of the hole to the edge of the rib was between 1/16 - 3/32 of an inch clearance. I have also seen some whwere they ground little half circles at each hole location. As far as the nut plate just file the small flange on the end of it so it fits better.

I'm sure I didn't use shims, and there was no problem.
Mine is buttoned up, but fairly sure I simply reversed the rivet position you show in the first image. The shop head did not interfere with the flange, or if it did, a very very small flange trim took care of it.

Back