What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need recommendation on cockpit video equipment

Whatever camera you choose, you're gonna' need a massive hard drive for your videos. Those videos take up several Gigs each. I've filled up 3TB already.

Go pro audio

I don't have a GoPro. I was shopping them today and asked the salesperson about connecting a microphone and they told me it cannot be done. That was at Best Buy so I guess they need some additional training.

How would it hook up to the intercom or the headset?

Last edited:
VIRB works well

I used a Garmin Virb to do my G3X videos last year.

It took me a while to figure out the best way to get reliable audio. I found that using the headset patch cord that came with the Virb aviation bundle worked the best.

I also found that the audio would work best if I turned the Bluetooth OFF on both my phone and my Ipad while filming. (my phone was BT to the audio panel and the ipad was BT to the G3X.

I actually did not use all that much hard drive space. I did all my videos on my laptop that has a 500 GB hard drive. I still have plenty of space remaining today. It all depends on how much video you do.

However, I did think seriously about getting a new PC to do the video post processing - something along the line of an Alienware PC level of performance would have been nice.:)

Last edited:
I don't have a GoPro. I was shopping them today and asked the salesperson about connecting a microphone and they told me it cannot be done. That was at Best Buy so I guess they need some additional training.

How would it hook up to the intercom or the headset?

And you believed a salesperson at BB? LOL!

I don't know about later models of GoPro, but my Hero3 works just fine with the USB-mic adapter cable. Quite well, actually, since there's no engine noise at all save for what little you can hear when squelch is broken during conversation or radio transmissions.

Just a word of warning on GoPro cameras: I have purchased three (3) GoPros over time, and every single one of them was a brick within a year to 18 months. I have two Hero cameras (original Heros) that bricked after the initial warranty period was up. I was eventually able to fix them after GoPro got so much heat from customers that they had to acknowledge a flaw in the firmware.

Then they stopped working due to battery connector problems. I ended up having to learn microsoldering techniques to fix them because GoPro wouldn't touch them without a hefty repair and shipment fee. The soldering on the battery connector was prone to breaking loose from the main board. AFAIK, this was a common failure mode. I was in no way abusing these cameras.

After I made this repair about 4 times per camera, they finally gave up the ghost and the solder pads delaminated from the main boards.

I then bought a Hero 3+ Black Edition, which bricked itself after the initial warranty period. This was a well known failure, that GoPro refused to acknowledge (look it up) and caused many customers lots of problems.

So after about $1200 worth of cameras trashed and more in accessories wasted, I am back to zero "sport" cameras.

Word to the wise. Maybe GoPro has cleaned up their act since three years ago, but I won't buy their stuff again until Consumer Reports writes me a personal letter praising their product and customer service...

Skip the Cables

The Garmin Virb Ultra 30 had bluetooth in for cockpit audio. I have their audio panel and the above camera and just paired them last week in prep for my upcoming first flight. The camera picks up all audio panel activity and records to the video file. No cords at all. I'm sure that if the device that the camera is connected to has the ability to output bluetooth audio, the camera will record it. I haven't tried it for instance with my bluetooth equipped headset.

Virb

I'm using the Garmin Virb Ultra 30. I got the neutral density filter to make the prop go away and bought a special cable ($$) from Pilot USA to tap in headset audio and use a power bank at the same time. Works pretty well. Don't set it to record 4K - go for 1080P to give image stabilization some headroom to work with. Be sure to take the filter off for dusk or night flight.

Ed Holyoke

Just a word of warning on GoPro cameras: I have purchased three (3) GoPros over time, and every single one of them was a brick within a year to 18 months. I have two Hero cameras (original Heros) that bricked after the initial warranty period was up. I was eventually able to fix them after GoPro got so much heat from customers that they had to acknowledge a flaw in the firmware.

Then they stopped working due to battery connector problems. I ended up having to learn microsoldering techniques to fix them because GoPro wouldn't touch them without a hefty repair and shipment fee. The soldering on the battery connector was prone to breaking loose from the main board. AFAIK, this was a common failure mode. I was in no way abusing these cameras.

After I made this repair about 4 times per camera, they finally gave up the ghost and the solder pads delaminated from the main boards.

I then bought a Hero 3+ Black Edition, which bricked itself after the initial warranty period. This was a well known failure, that GoPro refused to acknowledge (look it up) and caused many customers lots of problems.

So after about $1200 worth of cameras trashed and more in accessories wasted, I am back to zero "sport" cameras.

Word to the wise. Maybe GoPro has cleaned up their act since three years ago, but I won't buy their stuff again until Consumer Reports writes me a personal letter praising their product and customer service...

Yeah, I hear ya...I had to go through three GoPro Hero3s when I got mine before I got one that didn't fail due to ****-*** firmware. (Similar situation with my DJI Phantom Pro drone). In GoPro's case, I know they got absolutely hammered all over the internet for poor product quality and bad customer service. It felt like a company that was started by a group of nerds who put something together that was cool, but they didn't understand that when you sell gazillions of them, the quality has to be near-perfect because even a small percentage of failures is a huge number (and a correspondingly huge number of bad reviews that everyone can see). Basically, boys playing a man's game, as they say.

That said, since the third one, it does seem to work just fine now (5+ years), but I'm not a real heavy user, just the occasional video when friends go flying with me.

Best of luck in your video endeavor, OP!

A setup like this https://www.nflightcam.com/collections/frontpage/products/nflightcam-cockpit-kit-for-hero5-black is all you need and more. The patch cable goes between your headset audio plug and the panel receptacle. Then the usb adapter plugs that into the gopro.

Chris

I have that setup. But I get some low volume-yet-noticable background noise...a buzz and a "tapping" sound until I or the radio talks. Then it goes away.

Not sure what causes that.

For those who want to experiment with a POV camera without spending GoPro money (and don't need audio), one of the inexpensive Chinese clones can be an attractive option. I've used a couple of them and now use this one for videos from a wing strut on the Fokker D.VII wannabe replica:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CKTTNYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71YcPzp5wPL._AC_UL115_.jpg

The price is in the disposable camera range, and all the mounts fit the GoPro if/when you decide to upgrade. I record at 1080 60fps and am very satisfied with the results.

Last edited:
The price is in the disposable camera range, and all the mounts fit the GoPro if/when you decide to upgrade. I record at 1080 60fps and am very satisfied with the results.

Fixed the results link for you, works in the quote above. You can delete this post if you like, Sam, if you fix your link.

[Thank you, Mike, I must have been in the Creator Studio when I copied the link--link repaired; S. Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black and it is okay. GoPros eat batteries as well. I
purchased a Drift Ghost 4K at SunNFun and with the extended battery I get
close to 4hrs of video(provided I have a large enough card). Has a rotatable
lens for proper orientation. I really like it. Also get a prop filter(ND filter)
unless you want jello prop in your video.

Whatever camera you choose, you're gonna' need a massive hard drive for your videos. Those videos take up several Gigs each. I've filled up 3TB already.
Not necessarily. I agree that HD video is a large file but I personally edit mine into a useable video and then delete the raw footage. I have NEVER felt the desire to go back and use the raw files again.

As others have said, this is bad info. I think I began buying action cams with the original, then, 2 of the 2's, then one or two more (probably a 4 silver) before I moved on. I believe they all had mic jacks of one form or another. The original had 1/8" stereo plug input, and soon after, the models began using the USB port. I've fished, flown, and motorcycle raced with them, no worries.

Just a word of warning on GoPro cameras: I have purchased three (3) GoPros over time, and every single one of them was a brick within a year to 18 months.
I've had the opposite results. I've even washed one in the sink while thinking I had the case on it after a day of kayak fishing. It dried out and worked just as good as new after a light shaking to try to get the water out.

GoPros eat batteries as well. I
purchased a Drift Ghost 4K at SunNFun and with the extended battery I get
close to 4hrs of video(provided I have a large enough card).
Personally, I've never really been constrained by the battery. But sometimes I change it for a fresh one mid-activity. This may be a little difficult if it is mounted outside your plane. But you can get the bigger battery for the gopros too.

High frame rates are definitely a strain on the battery use length. And 4K video is the new power consumer. Everyone that buys into the action cam world (or any other type of cam) has to decide if they can live with or work around the capabilities/limitations of the chosen cam.

For what its worth, I despise gopro. They started the segment I think, so they got a thumbs-up for that back a few years ago, but in my mind, they have lagged the market. I now shoot Sony FDR-X300's and have not looked back (or been forced to upgrade every year). There is no lcd which I never use. This makes them a little cheaper than gopro. They also had image stabilization before gopro decided to add it. AND, I think the video looks great at 1080P/60. It suits my needs. All gopro was doing at the time was bringing out a new camera each year that was modestly more feature full but did very little that mattered to me...like solve everyone's muted audio problem. I think they may have recently accomplished this by making the cam itself waterproof to a certain degree. Too little, MUCH too late for me.

Pick a cam that seems to meet your needs and jump in. It can be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
I'll add my little bit of experience... I have both a GoPro Hero 3 and a Sony HDR-AZ1. I prefer the video from the Sony. The Sony is easier to operate, far easier to mount, is a smaller form factor when mounted, thanks to its 1/4" threaded adapter hole (a photography industry standard, unlike GoPro).

If I have to film something on a rapid, ad hoc basis, I find myself reaching for the Sony camera every time.

With that having been said, I've not mounted either of these cameras outside the airplane so can't comment on footage shot in that manner.

I use GoPro with the external mic adapter/cable. The audio capture is very good.

FWIW...here is a recent vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPCED-VorCU

HOWEVER - I have found GoPro overly complicated and unreliable. (i have not tried VIRB)

I have three cameras that I mount at various points on the plane and then connect via wifi for remote control and screen view.

Problems I have run into:

-WiFi very unstable. Looses its ability to connect to your phone. Difficult to switch from one camera to another from your phone.
-Battery life is not very good....45 minutes maybe.
-The camera firmware sucks....you will find yourself removing the battery and hard booting often, just to get it to turn on.
-Get the GoPro from Craigslist...not a new unit...too expensive...all of mine are Craigslist...but, you have to figure out (google plus trial and error) how to get the wifi reset (password) or the seller has to give it to you (they often forget or dont know what the PW is).
-Huge Files....yes...30 minutes is gonna be 2-3G, and thats 30 fps at 1080.

Saying it in short...I have had four or five attempts to get a solid set of synchronized multi camera go pro shots....the first 4 attempts ALL had something go wrong or something I forgot to set....

After the 5th attempt, I was able to herd all of the go pro cats, and I think I well be better going forward.

But, overall, its glitchy and a pain in the butt..which is too bad, because, if they just worked on a few things (wifi stability being #1) it would be a good system.

High frame rates are definitely a strain on the battery use length. And 4K video is the new power consumer. Everyone that buys into the action cam world (or any other type of cam) has to decide if they can live with or work around the capabilities/limitations of the chosen cam.

I can absolutely agree with this. While my Ghost Drift is 4K I run it at 1080P and 60FPS. Saves on space and saves on power. In my Opinion GoPro is
highly overrated.

Video camera

My two cents:

I've used the Go Pro up to the Hero 3 model and agree with comments about the battery life. It really does eat batteries and a full charge usually lasted me only one flight of 30-45 minute duration at 1080 resolution/60fps/wide. I tried using the Wifi multiple times but it was VERY unstable and the camera would frequently seize in the middle of recording. And forget about even getting 30 minutes of battery recording if using the Wifi.

I used to get an annoying buzz on the audio recording when using usb battery packs to keep the camera charged. I tried multiple types of USB battery packs and kept getting that buzz. I then tried using Anker battery packs to power the Go Pro and simultaneously record using some patch cables that NFlightCam and Pilot Communications make. Problem solved, buzz gone, crystal clear recording. What usb battery you use makes a big difference. Although this solved the battery issues, the Wifi still locked up frequently. The solution was to have a USB battery pack hooked up, not use the Wifi, hit the record button before you climbed in and you had no control after that. If you really still have your heart set on using a GoPro then be careful which USB battery pack you use to avoid audio feedback while recording. I tried several different brands until stumbling on the Anker brand which was always clear.

I now use the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 and can control everything from my Garmin Aera 660. It has sensor remotes so if you want you can just turn power on to the camera and use the 660 to stop & start recording. Or you can use the Wifi to see the video real time on an IPhone/IPad with the VIRB App and stop/start recording as well. I use the Anker battery packs on the VIRB since the Wifi will drain the battery but nothing like the Go Pro did.

Now just waiting for a newer Garmin 360 model to have a way to simultaneously charge & record cockpit audio like the current VIRB Ultra 30 before I buy one. Don't understand why they didn't design this feature into the current 360 camera from the get go.

Last edited:
I have a GoPro Hero 4. I also bought a cable adapter that does two things:

1) Provides a plug into a USB port for power

2) Provides the plug and jack to patch in your headset earphones and capture the sound.

The GoPro never runs out of power. And it picks up the audio, though as I mentioned in an earlier post, I get this annoying background noise.

Both of these functions fit into one jack on the GoPro.

GoPro cameras are flakey - I can't tell you how many times mine have overheated and locked up about 5 minutes after takeoff when mounted to my wingtip.

I've had much better results with the Mobius Action Cam ($79). I power it from the 12v supply to my position lights, and it will stop / start with the existing panel switch. It also has a much better planform for hanging out on a wingtip.

You won't get the 2k/4k video, but I'm not shooting professional stuff anyway. You can also buy it with a narrower angle lens so that air to air shots actually have the subject at a reasonable size.

1) Provides a plug into a USB port for power

2) Provides the plug and jack to patch in your headset earphones and capture the sound.
Being able to power your camera and record audio simultaneously is a real benefit. I can't do that on my Garmin Virb unless I make my own cable. The battery life on the Garmin is maybe 3 hrs. if I'm lucky - not long enough to capture a long flight. I've missed a lot of interesting :eek: landings. On my Virb Elite (the one with the GPS) that I have mounted under my tail, I added an external battery pack that gives me six hours of recording (not that my bladder would last that long).

Great info! Confused on one point .. the audio/usb cable that comes with the Garmin Virb 30 Ultra's aviation bundle does or doesn't provide power as well as cockpit audio?

Great info! Confused on one point .. the audio/usb cable that comes with the Garmin Virb 30 Ultra's aviation bundle does or doesn't provide power as well as cockpit audio?

Does not. I bought a cable that does from Pilot Communications.
$76. pa-80s-virb/USB

pilot-usa.com

Ed Holyoke

Back