What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Last flight for 2017 - cold day in Maine

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
My last flight for 2017, cold day in Belfast. -17c and -23c @ 3000 ft. Got the chance to get close to 40 min of flight time searching for warm air, but no luck (just cold).

I installed the Bender mod and have an in-flight adjustable oil cooler shutter. I was able to keep the oil temps up to 215 to 220 not too bad with some warm air from the heater.

122917a.jpg

122917b.jpg

youtube logo.png

https://youtu.be/mfY06tz3L6s

Wish everyone a great and safe New Years!

Last edited:
beautiful pictures. I am now ashamed to admit I cancelled a flight here in Louisiana today because I was too cold at 32*F.

David ...

Thanks for posting the video and especially for including the shot of the "ice grippers" you use to get your bird back into the hangar. After 35 + years out in California I'm still learning about practical gear for the winters here in northeast Ohio.

I have a north facing hangar that is very prone to ice dam buildups which needs to be chopped through to make way for the wheels. However, there is also typically a thin sheet of ice extending further out from the ice dam in front of hangar door that must also be navigated.

Just ordered a set of "ice grippers" which should solve the ... how to get the bird in & out of the hangar by myself ... dilemma.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Back