What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back in the saddle again!

JimTX

I'm New Here
I learned to fly in the mid 80's in an Alon A2 Aircoupe. *I got my PPL then couldn't afford to fly much until the late 90's when my kids were older and I finally had a little more income. *

The last flying I did was in 2002. That year, i picked up almost 60 hours in a Turbo Centurian in which I had a 50% interest. *I never was totally comfortable in that airplane. It was pretty squawky and frankly it was more plane than I had any business being involved in, given my experience level. I had less than 100 hours when I got involved in the Centurian.*

Finally, After several worrisome and expensive mechanical headaches, I experienced an *electrical failure on a night-time marginal VFR trip from Alabama to Texas. I managed to get the *plane down in one piece thanks to a a handheld radio and a god-send of a pilot who was able to relay my plight to Houston Center which vectored me to a nearby field. But afterward, I felt like Fate was telling me to stay on the ground.*

Of course I have missed flying. I have missed the speed and convenience. I have missed the adventure and the fun. Though I have missed flying terribly, the thought of re-learning everything I have forgotten always kept me out of the sky.

Until recently...
*A few weeks ago I happened to see a video on YouTube of an RV4 doing light aerobatics and*I've *been absolutely obsessing over RVs ever since. I don't know how I have remained ignorant of the RV world until now, but I am quickly getting educated. *(I'll bet I spend three hours a day on lurking right here alone!)

So after nine years, I began again the process of searching for a CFI and a base to fly out of.*

I interviewed three training operations before I found someone who knew anything about RVs. *Once I did find someone who seemed to understand my attraction to the RV scene I signed up with them (Stinson Flight Training Service) and started my re-education process. *

Wow! A lot has changed since 2002! I am flying spam cans equipped with G1000 glass panels. (mastering the G1000 has been the most difficult part of getting current so far)*

After 9 years of inactivity, I am reenergized about flying again. Since seeing that RV4 video, I have logged about 18 hours of dual time trying to get my proficiency back to where I will feel comfortable hauling my loved ones around. * I am starting to feel competent in my landings and my stick and rudder work is feeling almost natural again. *

My goal is to own/build/fly an RV. I am thinking that it would make sense to buy a 6 to build time in while building a 7 or 8.*

I understand that all the spam can training in the world is not preparation for flying the RV, so I have scheduled transition training with Alex Di Dominicus over Labor Day Weekend.*Alex will be holding class in his RV7.

Well it occurred to me after booking my training with him, that in order to get the most out of my training with Alex, it would be a good idea to try to get a little tailwheel time beforehand.*

The great folks I am flying with out of Stinson (KSSF) have no tailwheel aircraft and no instructors who have tailwheel experience. *So I started looking for a CFI for tailwheel. Finally, I found texastailwheel.com and scheduled time with them last week to get my first tailwheel time in their Cub. Unfortunately, the day I was scheduled, the Cub was pulled off the line for a maintenance issue which turned into a top-end engine rebuild. So the plane was out of commission till today.

So today, I added tailwheel landings to the long list of things I do really poorly! *What a humbling experience! 4 out of the 5 landings were "pig on ice" coordination, but the fifth was only marginally ugly. I never dreamed it would be so difficult. ( or so fun)

Anyway, I didn't intend to write a novela for my first post. I am just excited and wanted to finally say thanks to everyone for reigniting the flame within. *I am loving being back in the air and really excited to join the RV family!

All the wonderful trip reports and the first flight stories are truly inspirational. *My lovely wife and I met and married after I had stopped flying so she has never known me as a pilot. * This is a little scary for her. *This forum has been a real blessing in winning her over. She and I love traveling to Wyoming but hate the travel time involved so she has been following Tom and Bonnie's trip closely. Last weekend she went with me on a road trip to Waco to look at an RV6 for sale there. *She was a little shaken by how snug the cockpit was, but she is excited too. *She surprised me yesterday *by signing up here at VAF with her own log in!

Thanks again to everyone. I am looking forward to getting to know you all!

Jim

Hey Jim your sure going to like what VAF has to offer. Whenever I need advise or stumble on the building process I make a post and within minutes I get great advise from knowledgeable people here.

Forum great place to learn

Hi JimTX. Welcome to VAF!

I've been here a few months and these forum threads are full of gold/knowledge, and an occasional lukewarm opinion.... :D

Sent you a Private Message (PM).

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!!!!

Anyway, I didn't intend to write a novela for my first post. I am just excited and wanted to finally say thanks to everyone for reigniting the flame within. *I am loving being back in the air and really excited to join the RV family!

Thanks again to everyone. I am looking forward to getting to know you all!

Jim

Jim, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

You will enjoy this site way more than a measly 3 hours fix can support.:D

I flew my old 1948 Stinson into Stinson Field back in the middle 90's, nice airport.

Welcome Jim..

JimTX;569507...........My goal is to own/build/fly an RV. I am thinking that it would make sense to buy a 6 to build time in while building a 7 or 8.* Jim[/QUOTE said:
Jim, if you spend some time in a -6, you won't want a -7!!

I had mine for 5 years and 500 hours and I'd never trade it for a -7. The -7 is a great flyer but the -6 IMO, has such a wonderful "feel".

Welcome,

Tailwheel

Jim,

The Cub is a good place to start, Shorty after I started flying my first RV8 my father N law stared teaching me to take off and land his Cub. That experience significantly improved my RV tail wheel skills. The RV will be faster but actually a little more stable than the Cub. Once you master the Cub you will be ready to start transition training in the RV. Today I own both an RV and a Cub. Both aircraft I believe are the best aircraft available for their mission.

Pat

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom and encouragement!

Pierre, I should have clarified better... For the record, I love the classic looks of the 6, but I would also love doing my own build. I'd like to experience the pride of accomplishment in my own first flight. Realistically, I will probably want to take advantage of a partial quick build so I would need to build a 7 for a side by side. I am 6'3". I haven't decided for sure, but my understanding is that an 8 would be more accommodating for my height. I will know more after training with Alex.

Pat, thanks for the input regarding tailwheel training. I am looking forward to trying my next time in the cub. Hopefully, I will begin to see some improvement.

Best,

Jim

Back