What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bay tour route from PAO

Jonathan Alvord

Well Known Member
Will be flying into PAO on the 6th and would like to do a Bay tour on the 9th. Looking at the sectionals there is no altitude published for the Pacifica and Bay shore VFR routes. Anyone in the know? Contact ATC and request Vector and altitude routing? Bayshore looks to pass SFO in the Class B. Im still relatively new PPL with under 250hrs in the RV7A, mostly XC. Thanks for the heads up!

The biggest issue is the transit of SFO Bravo. Options are the "surface" route, where you talk to SFO tower for the transition. (I've done this multiple times, and it's cool to fly over KSFO at 1K feet). If the SFO "surface" transition is not available, you can contact NORCAL ane transition at altitude, 3500' ish.

The easiest approach is to tell KPAO that you want to do a "Bay Tour" on taxi. They'll give you a squawk code and advise not to enter Bravo w/o a clearance. Fly north, do a delta transition thru SQL (already pre-coordinated by KPAO and KSQL towers), and then contact SFO tower for Bravo entry and transition. Just be sure to ID where SFO Bravo starts and stay out until cleared (which means stay south of Hwy 92 until cleared)

Once you clear SFO bravo, you can do anything you want. Cross the city, orbit Alkatraz, fly over the Golden Gate, etc.

This is a GREAT FLIGHT! Do it if at all possible. The views are iconic and awesome. But, be good on the radio; SFO controllers expect and demand crisp and immediate responses. Otherwise, they'll happily vector you out of their airspace, which may be too far out into the Pacific for your comfort.

If that happens, tho, land at KHAF and enjoy lots of good restaurants and multiple RV's including mine (soon to move to KHAF hangars)

NOTE: The SFO bravo has been significantly modified at the last chart publication, resulting in much higher SFO bravo floor to the west of the airport. Now the coastline transition is much easier to fly (if u want to go totally vfr)

+1 to Dan Dyer at the San Carlos Flight Center (KSQL) .. a great shop. I've learned about and flown my bay tours based on their excellent training. (but KHAF has way better food!)

Last edited:
I agree with wjb, with the changes to the Bravo it was easy to stay just off the coast and outside of SFO Bravo for a Bay tour 2 weeks ago when they weren't accepting Bravo transitions.

Back