What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hole size for 8-32 tap?

n567vb

Hi,

The directions for the roll bar say to drill a hole and then tap it for a 8-32 screw. I couldn't find anything that says what size hole to drill. Do you just measure the width of the tap minus the threads, or is there an actual specified drill size for a 8-32 hole?

Thanks
Vince
RV-7 QB builder. Tip up

....drill a hole and then tap it for a 8-32 screw. I couldn't find anything that says what size hole to drill....... is there an actual specified drill size for a 8-32 hole?....

Most definitely there is a correct size when tapping holes. Such charts are widely available. I refer to my Craftsman chart and find that the standard pilot hole for 8-32 NC threads is to prepare the hole with a #29 drill bit which is the decimal equivalent of .136 diameter.

The directions for the roll bar say to drill a hole and then tap it for a 8-32 screw. I couldn't find anything that says what size hole to drill. Do you just measure the width of the tap minus the threads, or is there an actual specified drill size for a 8-32 hole?

I think you better re-read the instructions/plans. A #6 screw is used to hold the canopy to the rollbar. The correct size for the pilot hole for a 6-32 tap is a #36 drill bit. A reference for pilot holes for taps is here: http://www.engineersedge.com/tap_drill_chart.htm

Thanks for the help. The screw I was talking about secures the roll bar to the angles that are bolted into the bulkhead. I'm not ready to put the Canopy on yet!!!

I knew there had to be some charts out there, but my aircraft handbook didn't have them

Thanks
Vince

I knew there had to be some charts out there, but my aircraft handbook didn't have them

Thanks
Vince

For this reason I own at least three of those aircraft handbooks plus numerous other references. It seems one book is never enough.

Back