What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

That Magic tool.....

GusBiz

Well Known Member
I am buying tools at this point to have them shipped with my emp kit.

I would like to get them all at once rather than just keep paying a fortune for them to be sent one by one as I discover all that is available.

I was wondering whether any builders out there have come across some tools that are less than usual and are worth their weight in gold when it comes to the build.

Please feel free to add links for purchase, pictures and add anything you built yourself if you think it is a gem.

extra drill bits, they are cheap enough but pretty light for shipping by themselves.

a dozen 30 and 40 is not to much

The Magic Tool is the one you need and don't have!

I suggest you get both a 2x and 3x rivet gun. If you only can afford one, get the 3x.

Tools are kind of like the TW vs. NW, Tip-up vs. Slider debate, everyone has an opinion.

Me, I was VERY happy with my Avery squeezer and never bought a pneumatic one. However, I do have four yokes for it.

Definitely spend the money and buy some tungsten bucking bars.

Just remember, when you catch yourself saying, "I don't have the right tool, but I can make so-and-so work." STOP and order the correct tool. Otherwise you will bugger up the part you are working on, which results in you ordering the tool and a replacement part.

BTW, you will never stop buying tools. I once told a CSR at Avery?s that with the current order, I am done buying tools and she just laughed at me. Boy, was she ever right.

You will not need these for a while, but when you get to the electrical work, get a good set of strippers, and a good set of crimpers.

Here are a couple of examples.

storedetail.cfm

storedetail.cfm

Another vote for a set of 'washer wrenches'. I wish I had known they existed when I started building.

These may not be worth their weight in gold (actually, I'm sure they aren't), but I found them very handy around the shop.

A small, 6" steel rule similar to this.

A steel dial caliper similar to this. Brand and dial vs digital is your call.

An extending inspection mirror.

An extending magnet.

I've no idea what you call it, but it's flexible and when you squeeze one end with your fingers, a set of prongs come out the other end.

Blue Sharpie pens with the Ultra Fine Tip, if I recall correctly.

I found these clamps quite useful during the build. I think I've four of the small and two of the larger ones. Note that these have the "swivel pads". Keep in mind, I don't think that one can have enough different clamps in their work shop. :D

Congrats on the new build!

Tungsten bucking bar. Once I got it, I used it for probably 99% of the rivets. Only the odd rivet here or there couldn't be set with it due to some space confining issue.

Clecos

It seems like no matter how many Cleco clamps you think you need it won't be close to what you really need! Be sure to order some 5/32 and 3/16 Clecos as well, because they are really convenient to use insead of #8 and AN3 fasteners for temporary assembly. Also, 30 or so 1/8" extra deep are good to have.

Skylor

Tools

The one tools that I wish I had from the beginning of my build is a Tungsten Bucking Bar. I bought this one from Avery's a year or so ago and have never used any of my 6 other bars since. (OK, occasionally I have) The nice thing about the bar below is that one end is flat and the other end slightly angled. Just enough to get in close to some wing ribs. Not cheap but well worth it.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6007

e0hh5s.jpg

Tools

Gus,

Bill is right! You never quit buying tools. I am working in Averys Tool booth during Oshkosh, see you there?
Melborne is a long way from Oshkosh but what an experience!!

Last edited:
I've found 2 different styles of cleco pliers.

Without a cleco in the jaws, 1 style will let the handles touch each other, while the other style will have the jaws touch with the handles about a half inch apart. My hands aren't the largest so it does make a noticeable difference to me. The only identfying marks are the smaller pair has red handles and is marked Taiwan while the larger pair has blue handles and has no markings.

Not exactly a magic tool, but for as much as you'll use them I think it's worth finding a favorite pair.

Wow, guys, this has been a great repsone.

My soon to be wife wanted to read what people had written and her response was "wow these people really want to help."

I said "Yep and its the reason we aren't getting a Lancair, the buider community for this kind of aircraft is almost as important as the aircraft."

Thank you for showing her what its all about.

David, I have to say we both laughed heartily over this one

I've no idea what you call it, but it's flexible and when you squeeze one end with your fingers, a set of prongs come out the other end.

My father and two brothers are plumbers and they all have one of these and I have used it many times but I too have no idea what its called :)

So I have one last question which do you prefer

Planetools
or
Avery tools

or a bit of both.

...I've no idea what you call it, but it's flexible and when you squeeze one end with your fingers, a set of prongs come out the other end...
I have one of those and Nora uses it to retrieve the socks that jump out of the laundry basket and hide behind the washing machine.

6 inch bench grinder and 6 inch scotch brite wheel. Small chainsaw file and don't forget your trusty Mill B**tard.

Cleaveland RV builders kit

I started with the RV kit from Cleaveland, but the one thing that wasn't included that I bought right away from avery was the deburring tool. Definitely buy extra #40 and #30 drills. Not sure the availability in Oz of SAE (i.e. inches) tools, but you'll definitely want a pretty complete set of ratchets, wrenches, etc. Harbor Freight has good sets, not necessarily the best quality, but functional and inexpensive. http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-tool-sets/105-piece-tool-kit-4030.html

I've also found their files useful, but I'm sure you could find something like this locally. http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/files/12-piece-needle-file-set-468.html

Heavy duty fingernail files, like the kind used for fake nails or dogs claws are useful. I picked up a variety of grits at a hobby shop, but then found the same thing cheaper at the grocery store.

A Dremel with a variety of abrasive attachments is very useful. Get the set that has the extention for working in tighter places. Available in Oz according to the web.

You'll also need an inch/pound torque wrench. Expensive, but necessary.

Finally, good safety glasses. Obviously not something you have to order from the US, but mine have been hit a couple of time by flying things.

Drill bits???

Why do so many drill bits get used up?

Its aluminium, so with a little drilling lub they should last quite a while shouldn't they?

A good workspace and organization system yields a lot of magic -- as does an air conditioned (or heated, as your region may demand) space to work. Not exactly, tools, but...

I like my pneumatic cleco gun. Didn't really like any of the deburring tools I've tried, other than a drill bit in the fingers and the bench (scotch wheel) grinder.

The one tools that I wish I had from the beginning of my build is a Tungsten Bucking Bar. I bought this one from Avery's a year or so ago and have never used any of my 6 other bars since. (OK, occasionally I have) The nice thing about the bar below is that one end is flat and the other end slightly angled. Just enough to get in close to some wing ribs. Not cheap but well worth it.

+1

Just got one of those, actually...only on the practice kit as for riveting, but it was very nice to use. :)

Go to me come from me

I believe the gizmo with the expanding griper is just called mechanical fingers. Although my dad (and now me) call them ?go to me, come from me? I just got a new one that has an LED light in the end that comes on when you depress the button on the handle end. Nothing wrong with my old one, I just saw it at Lowes, and well you know?..

Deburring and riveting

I have a long and short deburrer that have been very useful. Sometimes a long shaft will allow you to deburr in an awkward tight place rather than struggling with a short shaft banging into various "bits".

I have also found my pneumatic squeezer invaluable. It allows me to do a whole row of rivets quickly and neatly without a lot of "banging" that can cause neighbour problems.

Cheers

Jim

a nice assorted pack of OOPS rivets goes a long way, you need to get familiar with these early on in the tail build

vacuum pump wrench

Be sure to invest in the rool that puts the nut on the back of your vacuum pump. It only has one use but you will will be REALLY glad you bought one. Avery Tools or Aircraft Spruce

I have one of those and Nora uses it to retrieve the socks that jump out of the laundry basket and hide behind the washing machine.

I hear ya Bill - I keep mine on a nail above the drier! :)

Actually, the best tool ever is the "search" button on this web site! (Right DR?) Don't forget your annual donation!

Last edited:
Air Vac

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet...

12169.jpg

Cleaning up all the metal shavings is a PITA. This little guy makes it easy to keep up and uses less space than any Shop-vac. They make a cheaper plastic body one, but I don't recommend those since they tend to crack. These are good for retrieving dropped hardware also.

DRDT-2

...dimpler. Beats the heck out of the c-frame dimpler and is much faster and easier to use.

...DRDT-2 dimpler. Beats the heck out of the c-frame dimpler and is much faster and easier to use.

Agreed. But make sure you buy a good set of dimple dies to go with it (I prefer Cleaveland dies), read the directions for the DRDT-2, and read all the threads on this site about setting enough preload tension to get a good crispy dimple!

Also, find one of those cheap sets of small files from Harbor Freight. Mine are like an extension of my hand, but I'm also building an RV3 which means I spend most days cutting& filing. :-D

Last edited:
Why do so many drill bits get used up?

Its aluminium, so with a little drilling lub they should last quite a while shouldn't they?

the smaller ones (#40) do break often enough. if you are a bit careless the #30s can break also. And they do get dull eventually. You will be match drilling 15,000+ times probably.

feel like a 1940's production line worker

You will be match drilling 15,000+ times probably.

Your kidding!!!

I thought there were about 6000 rivets to do?

Was that some figure someone made up and was totally off the real number?

Oh man.... what have I gotten myself in for.

Back