What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gross weight increase ELSA

zoelt

I'm New Here
Can anyone tell me / reference me the steps to recertify an ELSA compliant RV9-A to Vans recommended gross weight of 1750#? With Basic Med I no longer need ELSA compliance and potential purchaser wants it certified higher
Thanks
Tim
RV 9-A N932WF, ELSA compliant gross weight 13230#

No problem. Since the aircraft is certificated as experimental amateur-built, you may place the aircraft back into phase I and test the aircraft to the new gross weight. The process is listed in you operating limitations. Depending on when you op lims were issued, the latest version, this would be paragraph 14.

Mel, I've often wondered if this process applies if you are not the builder of the aircraft. I assume so, but have not found anything that justifies it.

No problem. Since the aircraft is certificated as experimental amateur-built, you may place the aircraft back into phase I and test the aircraft to the new gross weight. The process is listed in you operating limitations. Depending on when you op lims were issued, the latest version, this would be paragraph 14.

Mel, I've often wondered if this process applies if you are not the builder of the aircraft. I assume so, but have not found anything that justifies it.

Yes, this applies to anyone. The only time the "builder" is required is for the annual condition inspection. And then he/she must hold the repairman certificate for that aircraft. Any maintenance and/or modifications may be done by anyone. Of course there is always the legal vs. prudent question!

Any further news on this original subject?

If you are referring to an increase in gross weight for LSA, then just sit back with a BIG bag of popcorn. The NPRM is planned for January, 2019. With comment period to follow (and there will be many), my prediction is that it will be at least a year before anything happens.

If you are referring to an increase in gross weight for LSA, then just sit back with a BIG bag of popcorn. The NPRM is planned for January, 2019. With comment period to follow (and there will be many), my prediction is that it will be at least a year before anything happens.

Actually Mel, they plan to stat WRITING the NPRM in January, so make that at least two Big bags of popcorn.....

We should get a pool going. Of course we could all be dead by the time the results are known.

Back