What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman exhaust wth mufflers

drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
I spoke with Larry Vetterman last week about purchasing an RV-8
exhaust with mufflers. Larry had a lot of good things to say about
the sound/vibration reduction and increase heat capabilities of the
mufflers. Larry has partnered with AET. Larry builds the pipes,
AET builds the mufflers.

I questioned Larry about the clearance between mufflers and cowl.
He said that the RV-6/7 have a tighter cowl than the -8 and that
there were no problems fitting the mufflers. He also mentioned that
he has sold a few RV-8 exhausts with mufflers but couldn't provide
any particulars.

Anyone have any information on RV-8's with Vetterman's exhaust &
mufflers?

Any issues with the fit? What's the word on the street?

tks,

-Mike Draper
RV-8
N468RV
Finish

Now that is a good idea. Noise is always a irritating factor. I have thought about making silencers, but if they are available, GREAT!!!
Only one question, are they hidden?

mufflers for the 8A

I wonder if the mufflers would be available for the 8A? The A model has limitations resulting from the gear mount in the front. I heard that the AET/Vetterman group was going to produce a 4 into 1 for the 8A soon. It would be great to have a 4 into 1 with a muffler for the 8A. That may be too much to hope for.

AET rules

ptrotter said:
AET is working on 4 in 1 for the 8A. It should be available soon.
Check their site out AET, I am sure they already have the 4 into 1 as well as cross over.

I have a custom made one for my RV-7. Great workmanship and service. So you can get the whole exhaust for AET, including the new heat muff/muffler combo.

http://www.aircraftexhaust.net/

I don't have the heat muffs on but you can see the heat extracting studs that they can apply to the pipes. G

RV8 - Vetterman - mufflers

Mike,

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm interested in a muffler setup as well. I assume I will have a M1B engine, in case that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Mickey

Me too!

I would be very interested in a muffler-equiped exhaust for the RV-8, suitable for the angle-valve FI engines ( IO-360-A1A, etc)

Vetterman

Hi Mickey,

Glad to hear that your still building.

I went ahead, purchased and installed a Vetterman exhaust with dual mufflers. I really like it. Installation was straight forward. There are no cowl clearance issues.

Each muffler doubles as a heat muff. I ended up plumbing my heating systems with dual air boxes. You will have to plan your scat tube routing appropriately.

I'll post some pics this week.

Fwd facing induction?

For my second -7, I've ordered a Lyc XIO-360 fwd facing horizontal induction from Vans and wanted dual heatmuffs. (it coooold in Norway during winter)

I contacted Larry and he told me that mufflers could not be installed with horizontal fwd facing induction.

After looking through this website: http://www.aircraftexhaust.net/crossovers.html
it appears that one can install mufflers with a x-over horizontal induction after all. You'll have to order a PVC-kit and make a model of your system, so it probably will be somewhat more costly, but it looks like it can be done.

I don't know if the -8 has the same problem as the -7 here, but for those wanting dual mufflers it might be worth checking into.

Mufflers

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear the mufflers worked. I would be very interested in the pictures. I'm trying to juggle all the variables to come up with the right package of prop, engine, exhaust, etc. After my negative experience with an alternative engine, I want to try to go as standard and "tried and true" as possible.

Regards,
Mickey

there may just not be room with horizontal induction

I contacted Larry and he told me that mufflers could not be installed with horizontal fwd facing induction.

After looking through this website: http://www.aircraftexhaust.net/crossovers.html
it appears that one can install mufflers with a x-over horizontal induction after all. You'll have to order a PVC-kit and make a model of your system, so it probably will be somewhat more costly, but it looks like it can be done.

It sounds like Larry has tried. The PVC kit is an invitation to give it a try on your own, but if Larry couldn't figure out a way, there may just not be enough room. I don't know. I'd love for someone to succeed, and then have Larry or aircraftexhaust market it as a standard install.

No workie

Just got off the phone with Larry, and he said that for mufflers you can't use horizontal induction. I'm not sure what the issue is, since I really can't visualize the difference between various models, I will just have to believe him. He said to get the -B1B which has vertical induction and then the exhaust with muffler will work.

Exhaust for IO360M1B

I mounted a vetterman exhaust for the first time yesterday on an IO-360M1B. It fit well except for two challenges (maybe three) which I hope someone has creative solutions for. I attach a picture.
1. The crossover on the exhaust hits the throttle cable for the front horizontal injector.
2. The two exhaust pipes where they crossover rub against each other (hmmmm!)
3. The natural position for the heat muff where most have been putting it has fittings for the pipe connections and the ball joint is close.
Love the exhaust, just need some help on the three issues.

xm3b4h.jpg

Last edited:
Update on IO360M1B exhaust and heat

I talked with Larry Vetterman, then Rick Robbins and then Vans. All were very helpful. I am implementing an approach and should have some photos shortly. Basically, when tightened, the crossing exhausts do not touch or interfere. Larry's engineering is first class and he quickly identified the issue.
The throttle cable mount cannot be made according to Van's plans but needs to be modified for the IO360M1B by moving it upward and outward. It will still need a heat shield. Both Larry and Scott (at Vans) headed toward the same solution. I noted from the response of a couple of builders that they found the same issue and the same solution. More details coming soon. Need to check it first.
For the IO 360M1B with horizontal injection, the heat muff goes on the exhaust of the number one cylinder (only) and there is enough straight run to fit an 8" muff and perhaps a 9". I chose an 8" after making measurements and leaving a little fudge room. Rick Robbins of Robbins Wings said that it is better to have the intake air for the muff coming from the rear of the engine so it has some preheating over the cylinders on cold days. I put together an approach and will be installing it shortly. May still be a bit cool in the middle of winter. More details soon when I have finished the installation.
Thanks to the people who sent me photos.
Larry and Rick have gone out of their way to help and I recommend them and their products.

Vetterman, heater

My -8 has a Lycon IO-360M1B so I await your solution with great interest. Did not use the Vans' throttle set up, rather a simple homemade bracket on crankcase and turning the arm downward instead of up to reverse movement direction. This may have to change. Thanks for posting about this!

Vetterman Exhaust on M1B w/ horizontal Induction

Did more get published about these three issues. I will be starting my Vetterman Exhaust system install tonight on RV-7A. I hope I do not need to move my throttle cable.

Last edited:
If you install the Trombone exhaust, there are no issues other than lower cowling clearance. I had to put a small bubble to provide clearance for the tail pipe clamp on the left side.

No mufflers on my setup (-7A), which might have required more lower cowl modification.

Good to go

I have the trombone with mufflers on horizontal induction io360 and no clearance issues on my -9.

Back