What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to make a Scott Oil Cooler work

dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello Gents and ladies:

I am beginning the install of the baffle to my RV 7 and I want to use a Scott oil cooler that i sourced at auction. It tests good and is an 8 column cooler.

It is apparently larger than the Vans EA - 11 cooler as it does not fit the Vans oil cooler bracket i bought. I dont see why i cant make it work as many have had to add stiffeners to the Vans baffle kit anyway I thought i could do that and make this coole work.

Any thought on why it wont?

Link to pictures on OneDrive are below.

Thanks for all input.

Dave C,.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apov9vtfo19vzFVyCptUibn3ZRqz

s!Apov9vtfo19vzFVyCptUibn3ZRqz

Difficult

That cooler will be difficult to fit due to the outlet configuration. I have seen it done but due to the outboard outlet and the need to maintain cooler clearance on height of cowling and engine mount it will be tough. I just sold a similar cooler due to those issues.

For me at least, your link requires me to sign in to a Microsoft account, so I am unable to view your pictures.

Erich

Dave, you can. BUT, you'll have to space the cooler out from the baffle enough for the block fitting to clear with whatever AN fitting you are using. You might consider sending it to Pacific Oil Cooler, have them clean and test it, and change that block to a MALE AN, or more simply, convert the ends to the Vans Cooler configuration.

It may not be cost effective to do so, against buying the cooler outright from Pacific.

Tom

Thanks

I have contacted my trusty folks at Alberta Aero and they inform me that they can and will test the cooler prior to install.

|I am a little confused and concerned on TS comments but so far I have the baffle installed on the engine and all looks good so once the cooler is tested I think I will go ahead if it tests good and use it. The fittings seem to be ok but i will install the cowling to make sure that all tucks in nicely.

Thanks to those that responded.

Dave

Back