What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair fuel valve location

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Any issues with mounting the Andair fuel valve directly to the tunnel cover. Will it create any flow issues when the tanks are down to the last five or ten gallons. This brain bubble popped up when I thought about the bracket location inside the tunnel for the Van's stock valve. Also, because the fuel raises to the valve, drops to the filter and pump, then back up to the firewall, a low point in this section of the fuel line. Should a fuel drain be installed at this low point.

Any issues with mounting the Andair fuel valve directly to the tunnel cover. Will it create any flow issues when the tanks are down to the last five or ten gallons. This brain bubble popped up when I thought about the bracket location inside the tunnel for the Van's stock valve. Also, because the fuel raises to the valve, drops to the filter and pump, then back up to the firewall, a low point in this section of the fuel line. Should a fuel drain be installed at this low point.

I have seen it mounted to the tunnel cover in a number of installations. Just make sure you use nutplates to mount it there so you can unscrew it from the tunnel cover to remove the tunnel cover. Usually I see flex lines connected to it when mounted this way.

I put mine on the tunnel cover. I first machined a custom extension that protruded through the cover, drilled a clearance hole for it. Drilled out the Andair plate and made a custom delrin bushing for it that fit the plate tight and had a few thousandths clearance for the extension. Transferred the mounting hole locations for the Andair plate on the tunnel cover and installed 6-32 nut plates. Worked great and looked good also.

Rich---remember the least amount of large elevation changes you have, the easier it is for the mechanical pump to PULL the fuel out of the tanks. Fuel would rather be pushed under pressure than pulled under suction.

Tom

I found a photo of my valve location. I mounted the valve body itself in the per plans location, hence the custom extension. I also modified the Andair cover plate itself.
DSC01526.jpg

I have seen it mounted to the tunnel cover in a number of installations. Just make sure you use nutplates to mount it there so you can unscrew it from the tunnel cover to remove the tunnel cover. Usually I see flex lines connected to it when mounted this way.

What Jesse said - but I made a temporary plate to hold the valve in the final postion with the cover off. That way I was able to fabricate the aluminum lines to the valve. 450 hours and 5 years - all is well.

I did put a 45 degree bulkhead fitting on each side of the tunnel instead of trying to have a single piece of aluminum from the valve to the tank as shown in the plans. This greatly simplified running the fuel lines.

Carl

I did a modification to the cover, splitting it just forward and aft where the valve is located, this way the portion of the cover the valve mounts to does not require removal for the conditional. I could make a bracket and drop the valve 3 or 4 inches, but then I will need a valve extension. Would I need to order the extention from Andair direct. The good news is the FWF engine and prop are all done. Just need to order lines from Tom. Now deciding what to tackle next, the cowling or the wheel pants and fairings.

Hi Rich,
I mounted my Andair selector valve at the same height as the plans location using a newly fabricated bracket. I purchased the extension from ACS. You might check and see if they have them in stock.

Hi Rich,
I mounted my Andair selector valve at the same height as the plans location using a newly fabricated bracket. I purchased the extension from ACS. You might check and see if they have them in stock.

I did the same as Bill.

My info is dated, but ACS used to be pretty pricing for the extension. I found it was less expensive to order from Andiar direct or at their booth at OSH.

You will only need 3-4", but the extension is 12". Buddy up with another builder and cut the cost by a half (or two thirds).

Back