What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit inspection tips

tcoverst

Here is the situation. I am a first time builder. Through forums I have met a builder with whom I have arranged the sale of a full 9a kit (all kits including finish kit). My local EAA chapter has helped me vet the kit through pictures and questions and I have spoken with the seller and trust him and find him to be a reputable and kind man - so no need for tips about that. In fact, I am sure the seller will help point things out to me. I am traveling out to see the kit in a couple of weeks. It is on gear and maybe 75% done with no engine or avionics. As a first time builder, I am ignorant. I would welcome any tips on what to check for and look at and ask about when I get to meet my new kit in person. In other words, what is my best way to inspect the kit so I catch any big fixes I will need to make and so I am prepared to hit the ground running to build once the purchase is finished.

See if you can locate an experienced builder or EAA tech counselor who is located in the area where the kit is located, and ask them to help you look over the project. It might also be helpful to study Van's preview plans for your kit so have some idea of what you are looking at before you inspect the actual kit.

I'd also ask the builder to show you exactly where he left off in the plans and instructions so you can pick up where he left off. Be sure to ask him if he skipped any steps because he planned to do them later on.

Not trying to make trouble , I have no knowledge of both parties, just saying. Some builders (usually first time builders and I do not know the status of yours) , don't know if what they have done is correct or not. Not knowing the difference one would think they did an excellent job. If you don't know the difference (you said this was the first time for you) how will you tell. As posted above, find someone local to the project (to save you on cost) to go with you. You will not regret it. I'm sure it will be a great kit and you will love it. Hey what do I know I'm a repeat offender and I've got bloopers .

Not trying to make trouble , I have no knowledge of both parties, just saying. Some builders (usually first time builders and I do not know the status of yours) , don't know if what they have done is correct or not. Not knowing the difference one would think they did an excellent job. If you don't know the difference (you said this was the first time for you) how will you tell. As posted above, find someone local to the project (to save you on cost) to go with you. You will not regret it. I'm sure it will be a great kit and you will love it. Hey what do I know I'm a repeat offender and I've got bloopers .

Exactly

There are a lot of sub par builds that have changed hands with the original builder feeling confident that their work was at the very least average and possibly better than......

Since you are asking for advice (a good thing) the best advice is that someone very experienced do a thorough in person inspection of the entire kit. Anything short of that, you need to be prepared for the unexpected.

Back