What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your RV-4 !!!

Outside my hangar

The other day I was working in my hangar and noticed the strong smell of Jet fuel. I went outside and this is what was parked just outside my hangar.

ME-262-RV4.jpg

And note the plane in the background too.

Both owned by the Collings Foundation and based here at EFD in Houston.

Jeff Bertsch

Jeff, I saw your plane at OSH when talking with BJ but you were in the show some place. I hope all is well!

Awesome! The -4 is nice, but you don't see an Me-262 every day (even a replica). I knew somebody was building them, but they must be very scarce, since I hardly hear about them.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ
Flying since 2011

Flight Pics

I can finally post a picture of our project actually flying. I thought this day would never happen.
006509decd8d74a8d3e1181c7d2fe173_zps4p2fgcqa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
78cb1a3e78e191a5641c1e94ab0cf56f_zpsdmkoijty.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I can finally post a picture of our project actually flying. I thought this day would never happen.
[/URL][/IMG]
78cb1a3e78e191a5641c1e94ab0cf56f_zpsdmkoijty.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

WOW------if that doesnt show up on tomorrows front page, Doug must be asleep at the keyboard.

Jealous as ****!

Arlie, I don't need much motiviation, (just more time and money) to get my project flying, but WOW!.

You have an awesome machine there. I want to come see it someday!

Gregg

I appreciate all the compliments. We are very happy with the results of this project. At first we were just going to spend the minimum ammount of time and money to just get it back to flying condition, but if you have followed our posts, it needed a lot more repairs than first estimated. Thanks goes out to VAF and Vans Aircraft for all the information and assistance in making this project possible.

Now that is a picture for the Vans calendar!

What a great shot! The graphics concept is really neat, it took real talent to transform that mental image of the concept into a finished work of art.

[/URL][/IMG]

"Windrunner" RV-4

I posted a picture of my rebuilt 1987 RV-4 5 years ago, but it went away. You might call it an earlier glass panel. It was built by Richard Smith who worked for Van's back then. It was a pleasure to fly then, and it continues to be now. Thanks to David Grover, and Nick Nafsinger, local Houston RV experts, for making my entry to the RV world a fantastic experience.

This IFR panel is great to fly behind. Stick has smoke, flaps, start, trim, mic, and autopilot disconnect. Garmin 430W, Dynon 100 and 120, Garmin 496, Dynon HS 34, and AP 74. While left hand works the throttle, and the main switches, the right hand flies and works the system. I love the layout. Note the map case

N124SR

Nice panel Rick! Surprising how much function you can pack into the small-ish (compared to a 6, 7, 8, 9 etc.) -4 panel.

I like how the paint lines follow the lines of the cowling shape. I might have to steal that on mine!

Four More

Congrats MB, keep "the grin" going!
My RV4 turned 20 this month, hopefully you can fly yours that long...:)
V/R
Smokey

PS: Next challenge: Build an RV4...

Finally getting used to the GRT Hx. Managed a few practice approaches last flight! Bonus pic flying by Rainier a few weeks ago :)

zwICEgn.jpg
hmxJa46l.jpg

I'm sure you must be able to stuff something more on to that panel - you aren't trying hard enough!!!!:D:D:D

BTW I really like the classy simplicity of the paint scheme. Many times paint schemes obscure or interfere with the lines of the airplane. This is just right. I might do something similar.

Finally getting used to the GRT Hx. Managed a few practice approaches last flight! Bonus pic flying by Rainier a few weeks ago :)

zwICEgn.jpg
hmxJa46l.jpg

Just came across this Vans Airbus!:) Better set up than most modern Airliners:) Personally I like too look out the window when I fly, but with all that eye candy to watch the world would slip by & you wouldn't know it, nice machine too:)

Thanks! One of the previous owners is an airline pilot, and he's the one that upgraded the panel from the original steam setup. Took awhile to figure out how it all works together, but now I REALLY like it. Nearly everything for navigation is redundant (some times twice / three times over!) and you can mix and match sources / systems via the panel.

As for the rest of her, the builder did some amazing work. I'm just crossing over 100 hours I've flown in her, and I couldn't be happier. Just finished a lot of training in a 172, and I smile every time I jump back into the 4 :)

Just came across this Vans Airbus!:) Better set up than most modern Airliners:) Personally I like too look out the window when I fly, but with all that eye candy to watch the world would slip by & you wouldn't know it, nice machine too:)

That's my old airplane! I sure miss it but it still looks great!

Cool to see you on on here! She's still flying really well, such an awesome airplane. Have an hour of actual in it now, and can't stress how nice that panel is! Currently getting ADSB installed and the conditional done. I'm flying it in to Oshkosh this year. I'll be there Friday before through Tuesday morning, feel free to stop by and say Hi :)

First off I couldn't think of a name for the plane, but I've stolen your line. She's the "Van's Airbus" now, the "Bus" for short :)

As for looking out the window, I have the GRT Vision HUD working with it (will have a review once I've done some IFR with the HUD). Now you can enjoy the panel AND watch the world go by ;)

Bm00VOzl.jpg

5m8wT8Sh.jpg

I'll definitely look for you at Osh this year. I'm glad to hear the panel is working out well. That was a major upgrade some years ago but it's good to know it's being put to good use!

Cool to see you on on here! She's still flying really well, such an awesome airplane. Have an hour of actual in it now, and can't stress how nice that panel is! Currently getting ADSB installed and the conditional done. I'm flying it in to Oshkosh this year. I'll be there Friday before through Tuesday morning, feel free to stop by and say Hi :)

First off I couldn't think of a name for the plane, but I've stolen your line. She's the "Van's Airbus" now, the "Bus" for short :)

As for looking out the window, I have the GRT Vision HUD working with it (will have a review once I've done some IFR with the HUD). Now you can enjoy the panel AND watch the world go by ;)

Bm00VOzl.jpg

5m8wT8Sh.jpg

The name suits the machine that's for sure:):) Looks very flash indeed.
I gotta move to the States I reckon, you guys have so much choice over there, GA down under is all but dead compared to you lot:-(

20 years...

DR
My Four turns Twenty this week, the tail is actually 28!
Time flies, literally...

Near Upper Loon Creek ID, July, 1997.
V/R
Smokey

PS: Hey Vlad, notice, no paint, simple, light 0-320/wood prop? Even back in the 90's great minds thought alike, well maybe...:)

Last edited:
As old as you feel!

Smokey yours is hardly broken in. Mine turns 29 next month. The scary part is that I was 39 in the photo and now 68!

72f8z5.jpg

Awesome Jim, 68 years young! You're barely off warranty!

Great photo BTW, I can't quite make out what is under the Red circle/Slash ""do not" sticker...what is it?

V/R
Smokey

Well mine is 31..

Sorry Smokey but at 20 your -4 is almost a newbie..;)

Mine turned 31 this year and still going strong...and will be in Oshkosh on Friday..

Cheers

Bruno

"NO" sticker

Awesome Jim, 68 years young! You're barely off warranty!

Great photo BTW, I can't quite make out what is under the Red circle/Slash ""do not" sticker...what is it?

V/R
Smokey

Smokey, ever heard of Frank Lorenzo? :)

Photo taken over Avra Valley Airport now called Marana NW Regional N of TUS.

5x08q8.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I didn't build it, but I'm darn proud to own it. Fast one, too. After flying a couple other RV models, without hesitation I went for the -4. I intend to build a Rocket eventually also to compliment (and keep company) the -4.
245j59v.jpg

After 20+ years of looking and building a -7 tail almost 15 years ago I'm finally an RV-4 owner by adoption.

I flew this very nice -4 home from Chino to Seattle. I had one short local flight to make sure everything was working. I then flew a close to 1000 nmi cross country (two fuel stops) on my second flight in a -4. It seems a bit easier to fly and nicer handling than the -7 I did RV transition training in. It has 150 hp, manual flaps, manual trim and a nice steam gauge panel.

ERGLB1THgZE-RE5ag4-ZJxG2e5CiZCz5vY31vvW2VzY7NOlRWfc6Ku6i4AaBzK412dkF1a6TXgxgsI9CinelCjT8JqiYRXVK87HK2BzSdc62ErEqhuXuI5DcbH81QwrphhcFYCTdkH-Hn3Z26OG44ATskei1nE4D2xArIiX3ClBRkpqPBGbHqnbC7Ut-HLIn-m1qxs7rGWXOP-kqvfVmv4CCbY1w6CPG9wfUzcgw4FtCqi4bTZn_qmD5E9uH4GU_t_19qggwwBXERrWsv3Czqat9QRFkSXWTor8SRthT_psiEvUBcy2tdkcMPkPV3cL7XXOieo-e1559e_2wD0xfz8kcBtVxWnqT61k_vr3GO7XZYKjGcA7SKuUOYsJrbp4i191E4QDZ4JSjCtojbWPrK8fYDO5JOhiqPL9-ZVgaUAlcp9lwB5YErlCJtWNZHr1Cy6VILlj43CgpqATVuaekY-QtOwWE0qlUnBk_KaWrCtWQU-f0evE6-1x3mB578EDF9_mJpjopvx2P9O9QLMYVvc8UeVFhbG70c36C4O0EVXSskcB3bGKjHMJlbu_BtgNaRITI9XoJI9DvuDEG_eeY46bIzRHS39eS0TzVxTekUCt18wgaCxDBLkIgPn7ZZdK34b8MIt5TOD6fZmCkFYVxQoyDCFzAv1d9icDu=w1673-h941-no

It's a different animal than the Steen Skybolt I owned previously. It is so strange to be able to see.

Last edited:
first photo post(I hope)

too cold to work on her today so I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture on the forum (thanks for the info Smokey!) I fly an Airbus so I'm simple minded when it comes to electronics, posting pictures have been pretty much beyond my capabilities. Hope this works.
Hoping to get the W&B done next week and scheduled with the FAA for inspection
ASAP
long road but getting closer
Thanks
Skip

Contrasts

UR welcome Skip, nice looking RV4!
After you asked the question, I had to go online and walk through the steps myself to insure accuracy. :)
These 2 pics of my RV4 “The Bandit” popped up so I thought I would share.

Contrasts, Chicago”s Midway Airport (Sears tower in distance just above my canopy) and Upper Loon Creek in the ID backcountry....
Cya
Smokey

Last edited:
photo post

Skip: congrats on your photo post (i'm not laughing, not there myself yet).

But I am wondering, referencing your shadow, do wear that camera ALL the time?:D

Doug
Seattle area

Ha, it does look like I have it attached to my head. Nope I'm just holding the phone in my hand. The last techie thing I understood was a Walkman.

Skip

Show us a pic of your RV-4

Well I guess the pictures didn't happen! If anyone else would like to post the pictures please send me an email. Thanks
treifers at hotmail dot com

Nice FB-4!

Guys,
"T.R." (Wolfpack) asked me to post these excellent photos of his friend "Jim W's" FB-4, (RV4-XL) This is my personal favorite RV,
This particular Fastback-4, is a VERY nice one, built by Jim, an experienced repeat offender.

V/R
Smokey

Finer points from my observation and TR's email include "flat plate" wing-tips with extension material below lower airfoil. Harmon FB rear fuselage bulkheads with the HR2 canopy fastback mod. Whirlwind 2-blade and 0-360 up front.
Nice!

N249P

I actually was fortunate to join the club back in June 2017 but this is my first pic post! N249P is early-ish (S/N #715) with 327TT. O-320 with a Ben Warnke Prop. Improvements in the works are a new panel, "Poor man's cold air intake", heated seats, and many others. Located KFNT, Flint, MI.

hz6oxGn4eSsc52wI7giYyJxlyIDsShkn82Z8AkVmb8bj4YA1zQxq5GK8ZwdgrrWU5HFfsaTWF9t0pbf7F_ZktBBJg-p4k_HwaLgUccK7Dv0-WqIz4Nx-SUfWc-u6xu6kYgQ1ODT9SzKKxq4iwRr-y9o8VIvdQ0ys6A7JOdDDlNWmNTuAN0-Mrz7OXx6NTrCCA6r8Lz90R7-5IdqLqmbYNuti7hVT65gDPC18BloCsjIU5kEJm8Pyx_nhkjjyuXvQXyb3qv-pgARkDw9zItwRm-_CZR8rJYhQtyK7H0HBPStS7A8KRtoAIXs_ebHWzB55dM-gfZBU4HKSq4Pr_1xURkAPi7BvPMRuUskUAgBScxPgEWTOurIYKKu9a6dUvrFdcl9YeqHb7sea3dxv7jtnKdo0xbdEspImZfg-sDokb7Ni1QJSQAnh92LqQbKcZhcAfl3hkPm-F03fDWH8CZPBw_RU8wSP5RS_1nTJG8vbVpZun0xDITOuny7mhcoEwOgy5CvoDM3Do353p-zblXii2-V9vSS2g3nHPKmLZNjFFj-8bVnRyJrAlPalF_K9zrJKeNteb84r8PE9KdYhycVvO93glIFs1poyc72TSO0=s685-no

Ixm3bCHcDH5v-0kQ42PylBXA3gFyyfeyNWLFbv-EheT_3RYZ5aC7iFY1iDUEW07aQsRP1ggOqn1aCDTZevbJNa1fV6t6-bFe7KgidfEtFseiyXlcRJe41e0HaI5nWTPQIY71vpvoM13MJytTJa80oHUQCnU3hqm5R9S6ou9LYVjRxtjeaADGNxvz_NsPng35OQU99sgVupwYSSNDDxIL6YRq-mMKuRHxp1Hn_hpcO2inXtCJAfbgVGCzC9JR5KbNcqVwA4J_ZmUXk5wS0Jt6prKJayczhGLBGkNB3FyJuqKzvAlJpVRgiIo_fdysX94usUIdtvIG7CTm2YSdWKBK_SuY9g22NCahcVT6SmEVSw5GkL-u3u462UNsOGjByHmwNP0YIDF9auecu33jNU4TsFhjEsLGdEJ9MLy9vwGaqu0jdWzBtDgGlVbYhW6kSTZaZvs9OuO0CPOvA4NYMIFWv9HZ4O5OagUCMmNsYEjEW5e6FQsXhGkEMMc9Od-xmECGOAXKZC0j1PlBV_AnFm_-AEBkIN2jfp6Gvc4lnmkFOtq0CV23UvdiIwgkGTS6dS6SIzlQn-7zX72IZxprLIpbvK8sOOhYL8BiM2NT6mY=w914-h685-no

Attachments

• 6292645F-86E8-4F66-AEAB-AC745FFCC8BE.jpg
    6292645F-86E8-4F66-AEAB-AC745FFCC8BE.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Back