What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heads up to Canadians & Garmin GDL51

Wayne

Well Known Member
I was excited to get my GDL 51 so i could have XM weather & Sat radioi on my G3x touch & Ipad thru Garmin Pilot.
I phoned XM to transfer my weather subscription (which I've had for many years) from my Aera 560 to the GDL 51.
They made the transfer, charged me $15 for the service and I thought we were in business....NOT
2 days, many phone calls and still no weather (I did get the XM radio transfered no problem)
Last phone call was close to an hour while the service rep kept consulting with what she called "the back office"
Two reasons were given to not transferring the weather.
1. Im Canadian and we cannot transfer the weather to a Canadian?? (Im serious)
2. The GDL unit is too new and they cannt automatically change it over and it will take human intervention to do it and will take 24 to 48 hours.

End of the day, i needed wx to come back home so transferred it back to the Aera 560 and will try again Monday morning to get to the bottom of this.

Just a heads up

Fly Safe

Just went through this. No one at the XM call center knows of the problem but Sirius xm Canada is having issues. Finally resolved my issue at OSH with the rep. there. He was full aware of the issue and I'm now operating on XM Canada USA account. PM me if you require his direct #.

Garmin GDL51 & Canada

Hi Wayne,

Just wondering if you managed to solve the issue. Very tempted by the GDL 51 but if the folks at XM haven't figured out the logistics for those of us north of the 49th it is a bit light to make a good paperweight.

Thanks,

Derek

the answer is....yes and no
I phoned XM USA and they arranged to get me the wx but XM Canada still cant figure it out. Not sure what is going on there but i get the feeling there is some technological challenges. I will PM you some contact info to help you

Out of curiosity, what are people paying for an XM radio and weather subscription here in Canada? And does the weather cover both US and Canada, or just Canada?

I forget what the subscription is but you will need to purchase two packages to get both Canada and the US. I do believe there is a discount if you buy the two together. My 796 will only run one at a time, I've never switched it to Canada as the US package overlaps Canada enough for me to get by. It covers most of Nova Scotia , all but less than a mile from my strip CLE4.

Back