What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kansas personal property tax on homebuilts

Shadetree

Well Known Member
Does anyone on this forum have details of the homebuilt tax exemption in the state of Kansas that was passed last year?
Does it apply to those built in Kansas or any homebuilt bought and brought to Kansas?

Thanks

The exemption is applicable to all amateur built aircraft that are in Kansas. It will cost $100 processing fee with the county to cover all of the paperwork, but pretty straight forward.

The exemption is applicable to all amateur built aircraft that are in Kansas. It will cost $100 processing fee with the county to cover all of the paperwork, but pretty straight forward.

That is good news. I was hoping that if a person bought one already built the exemption would apply.
I hope to get a RV bought in a couple of weeks.

kansas

what part of Kansas are you from...I see it says western Kansas. I live in great bend and lived in several places out further west.

That is good news. I was hoping that if a person bought one already built the exemption would apply.
I hope to get a RV bought in a couple of weeks.

Each county in KS is responsible for collecting the property tax, even if it's levied by the state. I know a few counties have tried to interpret the law to mean the exemption only applies to the original builder, but that was not the intent nor the wording. The wording simply says it must be 'amateur built'...it doesn't say anything about the original builder being the current owner. If you have any trouble convincing your local county tax assessor that you are exempt feel free to contact me for assistance. I was the one who worked with my local KS House representative (Larry Campbell) to introduce the bill, so I know we can get everybody straightened out on the proper interpretation as needed ;)

Note to Moderator: Might be nice to move this thread out of Classifieds so it can be found in future searches.

Each county in KS is responsible for collecting the property tax, even if it's levied by the state. I know a few counties have tried to interpret the law to mean the exemption only applies to the original builder, but that was not the intent nor the wording. The wording simply says it must be 'amateur built'...it doesn't say anything about the original builder being the current owner. If you have any trouble convincing your local county tax assessor that you are exempt feel free to contact me for assistance. I was the one who worked with my local KS House representative (Larry Campbell) to introduce the bill, so I know we can get everybody straightened out on the proper interpretation as needed ;)

Thank you Mark. I will be sure to contact you if I have any problems and thank you for you efforts!

Maybe I can get this done in my state

Mark, what line of reasoning did you use to secure this exemption?

I am convinced that the county provides no aviation infrastructure or services where I live to justify levying a tax on my homebuilt residing on my farm strip (no public airports in my county), but beyond that, what argument should we employ to shield ourselves from the rapacity of the state revenuers? I can't see government ever voluntarily giving up a source of revenue or control without a compelling reason.

-Stormy

Back