What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Prop Fine pitch adjustment

albertaflyer

Hi,
I have an o-320 with an MT CS Prop that I would originally see 2730 RPM on takeoff. After massaging the engine a bit, I'm now seeing 2850 max RPM on takeoff. How do I adjust the fine pitch stops on the MT prop to bring it back down to 2700? Or is it the Governor that I need to adjust as it takes over shortly after does it not? If that is the case, I'm not sure why it would have changed?
Thanks,
Tony

Last edited:
Take the spinner off. You will see 2 large nuts acting as jam nuts to each other. Loosen the outside one and then turn the inside one. If I remember correctly turning it out should increase pitch, which is what you need. You shouldn?t have to go very far, perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Vic

Hi Vic,
Thanks for the response. I ended up surfing the net for a few hours, but couldn't come up with an answer as to what way to turn it. I ended up turning it in 2 turns which netted a decrease of about 50 RPM. I am now down to 2750, which I'm ok with. I going to fly it like that for a while and see what I get at different elevations. I may adjust another full turn in down the road.
Regards,
Tony

MT Setup

The MT Operation and Installation guide has the following setup information.

5.14 Watch for a clean ground surface to avoid blade damage and advance
power lever and propeller lever for take off power and rpm.
The static rpm must be limited by the propeller and should be 50 -
100 rpm. lower than max. rpm.

5.18 Operation
Propeller and governor are selected as a result of tests. The governor
must allow constant speed. On take off, the static rpm
should be approx. 50 - 100 rpm. lower than max. rpm and the
propeller must limit this rpm. If the governor limits rpm, it must be readjusted.

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you a PDF of the whole manual.

Last edited:
Back