What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 25-05 bolt length

Chris Cooper

Page 25-05 shows AN3-13A for all the bolts but the outer seems too short i.e. there are no to little thread left showing.

ngvbf9.jpg

Last edited:
Is your torque wrench set correctly? Are you figuring for the drag torque? Are the washer thicknesses correct? You may need to use a thinner one(s) if that's an option.

A reminder from page 5-20:

"Some of the newer RV kits use the all metal MS21042 self locking nut. The long standing rule of thumb will not work for these nuts because they are shorter in height than the AN365 nut. For these nuts, modify the rule of thumb to “at least three, but not more than five threads showing.” This rule of thumb will still allow for meeting the 'maximum use of three washers' rule."​

Torque wrench etc is fine. As this goes through the upright as well, it would appear to require a longer bolt but the drawings show the same length as all the others.

Torque wrench etc is fine. As this goes through the upright as well, it would appear to require a longer bolt but the drawings show the same length as all the others.

Sounds like the longer bolt is in order. Be especially sure to use the correct number/thickness of washers so you don't bottom out the nut on a longer bolt.

I have a vague recollection of doing the same in that area, though it appears I didn't record that information in my notes.

Page 25-05 shows AN3-13A for all the bolts but the outer seems too short i.e. there are no to little thread left showing.

I wondered the same thing here but decided that it's still by the book with ~2 threads showing. AN3-14A is probably closer to ideal, perhaps with an extra washer as mentioned above, but the -13A clearly has plenty of shaft inside that massive spar carry-through. You might try a thin washer if yours are borderline. Also double-check all deburring on the opposite end.

scdkrn.jpg

It would be interesting to see a photo from a quickbuild, curious if they stuck to the plans or used longer bolts.

The outside AN3-13A should be 14A?

Just finished that section and I was wondering the same thing

I think a little longer would make sense. I will count the remaining threads. So far it seems you need at least two full threads but not more than five.

Does anyone ever check to see if there is a change on the master plans.

Went out and look at mine and it has no washer on the bolt head side, and a thin washer on the nut side with 2-3 threads showing.

One thread is all that needs to show for a self locking nut...

MS21042-3 is the nut that is called out.

This nut seems like a normal nut needing 25-30 inches of torque.

However the MS21042-3 is technically a self locking nut and as per:

Per AC 43.13-1B, Chapter 7, Para 64 Self-Locking Nuts, "After the nut has been tightened, make sure the bolt or stud has at least one thread showing past the nut." This statement is made under "f" for fiber nock nuts but would apply to metal locking nuts as well.

Yes these little nuts are technically self locking so they only need one thread showing.

Kinda neat to know... Build on. :)
dN3jCtFT6xSgPPjWA

Back