What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting rear window question

mturnerb

Well Known Member
On page 38-02, step 11, plans say to "apply a line of ... tape ...to the outside of the window. Align the edge of the tape to the fuselage skins."

Two questions:

1. Does the tape go on exposed portion of window up to fuse skin edges, or INSIDE the skin, on part of window that will be drilled? I'm assuming the former but latter seems distinctly possible.

2. Same process for forward portion of window at roll bar, where there is no fuselage skin?

Thanks in advance!

On page 38-02, step 11, plans say to "apply a line of ... tape ...to the outside of the window. Align the edge of the tape to the fuselage skins."

Two questions:

1. Does the tape go on exposed portion of window up to fuse skin edges, or INSIDE the skin, on part of window that will be drilled? I'm assuming the former but latter seems distinctly possible.

2. Same process for forward portion of window at roll bar, where there is no fuselage skin?

Thanks in advance!

The intent is for the tape to be applied to the accessible portion of the outside of the window... on the window it self, adjacent to the skin edge.
The primary purpose of the tape at this point is to seal the edge of the plastic, so along the roll bar edge it should be positioned to seal the plastic but leave the area for drilling the holes, exposed.

Last edited:
If I understand your question, The tape goes on the window, to assist getting the proper fit in prep for drilling.

I just finished this step myself - and as I understand it yes it goes on the window. What the tape helped me do was to keep the position of the window along the skins....If the window moved even a little bit it was obvious from the tape gap.

All worked out for me although stressful.

Tapping the rollbar took time - keep working the tap in and out to clean the threads as you are tapping. All the tapping work alone took me nearly 2 hours with plenty of breaks.

Mark

Just spent 3 Hours today drilling, tapping and countersinking. Now I can breathe. Still have to trim the front edge.

I'm up to this step, too. Just waiting on the arrival of the proper plexiglass bits. My old Avery bits were in fractional sizes, so I ordered #40, #36, and #27 bits online.

While I'm waiting for them to arrive, there are plenty of other tasks to complete in section 38!

Back