What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 looking

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi Guys.

Am looking at buying a used RV4, what section of this forum would best be suited to ask general questions about the 4 such as what to look for?
thnxs

You're in the right spot.

Long landing gear is generally considered a plus, but not necessary in a nice airplane. The heavy firewall gussets where the motor mount attaches is a definite plus, since there have been a few issues with the original ones. Check all the SB's relative to Rv4's listed on Vans Aircraft website. You get the most for your money in an RV aircraft with an RV4 - as long as you can fit in it comfortably. RV4's have been around a long time, so there is some variation in price, based on condition and installed equipment usually, but the difference isn't as great as it is in other RV models. At the low end you might be around $35K and at the high end around $60-65K, with very few at the high end because of outdated equipment. For a fun flying, almost always VFR flyer - you can't beat an RV4.

Thanks Scott. Have been doing a bit of research on the 4 and apart from the tight cockpit (am 6ft) I don't see too many issues. I'd like an 8 but by all accounts other than it being larger there isn't a lot in it. I would prefer a CS prop with 160HP but a few I have chatted to say the FP prop is a better combo, wondering what others in here think of this? I like the tandem seating, not into the 6 or 7's especially the A versions, might as well buy a Cherokee...lolol
I'm down under so choice are limited here, there are a few 4's FP on the market but rarely see a CS version. Most that are for sale are 1990-2000 models varying between 400hrs -1400+hrs, some are getting long in the tooth:)

Thanks Scott. Have been doing a bit of research on the 4 and apart from the tight cockpit (am 6ft) I don't see too many issues. I'd like an 8 but by all accounts other than it being larger there isn't a lot in it. I would prefer a CS prop with 160HP but a few I have chatted to say the FP prop is a better combo, wondering what others in here think of this? I like the tandem seating, not into the 6 or 7's especially the A versions, might as well buy a Cherokee...lolol
I'm down under so choice are limited here, there are a few 4's FP on the market but rarely see a CS version. Most that are for sale are 1990-2000 models varying between 400hrs -1400+hrs, some are getting long in the tooth:)

Let?s see, mine is from 1983, has 3025 hours, is well kept up and is still a 60k airplane. It all depends on the airplane, their is great ones that are 30 years old and junk that are new, theirs great new ones too and junky 30 year old ones also, judge the airplane sitting in front of you not the age and also remember there has only ever been 1400 of these reported to ever have flown so your choices may be rather limited, limit that choice further to only new ones with CS props and suddenly your choices become maybe one or two airplanes or maybe zero.

Thanks guys for further info.
I am aware of age verses condition, have been in the aviation game over 37 yrs recently retiring from the Airlines. Have owned a few planes in the past. The way I tend to think is resale value as well as value that suits me. I've used this philosophy in real estate as well over the years & have done okay:)
I know that Vans A/C with high hrs are not sort after like they are if only a few hundred unless of course they are cheap, that's just the way it is down under.
I have a 7ECA '79 model with 1100+ hrs on it, i only bought it cause it had very low hrs, seems everyone wants mine now !:)
Anyway was more seeking to find out what to look for with the 4 other than obvious poor workmanship & finish, any help in this area would be appreciated thanks.

A:)

P.s...thanks "Mike S"............always wanted to be part of an Airforce:)

Things I like about my 4

Here are the features I like about my 4. It has 180 HP, Hartzell CS blended airfoil prop, James wheel fairings, and on a standard day it will do 185 KTAS. The 4 just does a lot for a little. I'm happy!

I love my 4
Long gear,
Wing tips
Pressure recovery wheel pants
160 hp
FP prop
Normally 205 TAS
Strap it on and fly!

open

open

Last edited:
Here are the features I like about my 4. It has 180 HP, Hartzell CS blended airfoil prop, James wheel fairings, and on a standard day it will do 185 KTAS. The 4 just does a lot for a little. I'm happy!

Oh that would be sweet, 180 gee gee's & CS.........stop teasing me:):p

You might want to ad in there that sagging engine mounts are something to check into on inspection as well.

Trying to find a decent RV4 to my liking is like trying to find a needle in a stack of needles:-(

Have you ever thought of building one? I built mine to what I wanted- roll bar back 2", 200hp, and a whirlwind 3 blade prop. It's relatively light, if I'm light it can do 4,000 rpm on take off, I enter a tight downwind at 150 kts pull the power and make a sweeping 180 turn to the runway and always make the first taxiway.
Absolutely amazing performance.

Have you ever thought of building one? I built mine to what I wanted- roll bar back 2", 200hp, and a whirlwind 3 blade prop. It's relatively light, if I'm light it can do 4,000 rpm on take off, I enter a tight downwind at 150 kts pull the power and make a sweeping 180 turn to the runway and always make the first taxiway.
Absolutely amazing performance.

4000RPM? Wow that's some race engine you have, what type is that as no Lyc will reach that figure?:)
I don't want to build one I want to fly one, am too old now to start such a project & doing so down under would be an expensive undertaking!
After chatting to various RV4 owners the 160HP fixed pitch seems to be the go as it's lighter, better endurance & simpler to maintain, may have to look into that combo now.

Just out of curiosity can the instrument panel be pushed further back? When I sat in one it seemed right in my face

The instrument panel cannot be adjusted fore or aft. The canopy sits on it, and if you move it in either direction it will affect where the canopy sits. I'm 6'2", and the panel is in a nice position for me. And it was FPM, not RPM, though I do run it at 2750 rpm. It makes a noticeable difference in performance.

Buy one to fly, and build one at the same time. It is a lot of fun to build one. I still find myself staring at the plane for ten minutes before I leave the hangar. It is amazing that I built it, and that it flies.

If I where younger I would have built one but am not able to these days, don't have the room for one thing, too many toys as it is:)
I appreciate you guys passing on info about the 4, thanks:) I'm learning fast that the 4 can't carry much with full gas & if it's got any heavy iron up front. I hear an 8 is better in that area but not as sweet in handling compared to the lighter 4, such a conundrum:):)

Last edited:
I set my gross weight to 1750 pounds, and have flown it that heavy, and it goes great. I'm not doing aerobatics at that weight, but it still outperforms the spam cans easy enough.

I wasn't aware that you could change the gross weight, thought 4's where 1500lbs? Looks like there is much to learn about the Vans machines:)

In the states you can set to whatever you want as the builder. The FAA fought me on it, and they actually called Vans, and Vans said "no problem ". The only reason they haven't upped the weight is because they would have to go retest everything for a kit that doesn't sell as well as it used to.

Okay thanks Michael. I wasn't aware of that. Dealing with our authority cause that's what they are an authority not an administrator like you guys would be a nightmare! We have a saying down here about our authority..."where not happy till you're not happy" GA in Oz is slowly dying sadly, too many regs & getting expensive, fuel is equivalent to around $A8.5-11.5 a US Gal, ($A2.20-3+ per liter for us) There's a handful of RV4's for sale here but they vary a lot from sad neglected old models to way over the top expensive machines that rarely sell, seems like I have an interest in a design that I can't get what I am looking for.
Importing one here wouldn't be worth it. I guess I'll just have to dream on for now:)

In the states you can set to whatever you want as the builder. The FAA fought me on it, and they actually called Vans, and Vans said "no problem ". The only reason they haven't upped the weight is because they would have to go retest everything for a kit that doesn't sell as well as it used to.

You either misunderstood the answer you were given, or someone didn't full understand your question because you would never get a "no problem" answer from Van's.

Who ever called likely heard that the builder is free to certify to what ever gross weight they choose (it is experimental... the FAA can not force you to use the weight recommended by the designer) but Van's recommends using the designated weight (1500 lbs in the case of the RV-4) that the airplane was designed to.

The FAA was trying to force me to list it at 1500#. The FAA spoke to someone at Vans, and after that conversation agreed to the higher gross weight. The FAA inspector relayed the pertinent parts (not a problem, and not going to certify a higher weight because it would cost money on a kit not selling enough to justify) of the conversation to me, which more than likely was an off the record conversation. One of my arguments was Jon Johansson (spelling? Round the world flight), with takeoff weight over 2,000#.

Last edited:
The FAA was trying to force me to list it at 1500#. The FAA spoke to someone at Vans, and after that conversation agreed to the higher gross weight. The FAA inspector relayed the pertinent parts (not a problem, and not going to certify a higher weight because it would cost money on a kit not selling enough to justify) of the conversation to me, which more than likely was an off the record conversation. One of my arguments was Jon Johansson (spelling? Round the world flight), with takeoff weight over 2,000#.

No one here at Van's would tell the FAA that a higher gross weight was "approved".
What likely was pointed out to them is that it is an experimental airplane and there is nothing in the regulations that will prevent someone from choosing to certify at a higher gross weight.

I bought my -4 a little over a year ago (even before I got my PPL!) and I absolutely love it. I originally was looking for a -6, but I'm very happy I got the -4 instead. I've put on about 80+ hrs on it, had many amazing adventures in it including a trip to the Grand Canyon last month. If anything, my problem is I fly it "too much", if there is such a thing! Haha.

Even with only 160hp, FP wood prop, I'm doing 180mph cruise, WOT over 200mph, climb over 2000FPM sustained, can do aerobatics up Sportsman class, (will need inverted fuel and oil), and comfortable enough for cross country trips with my wife in the back and about 35lbs of luggage. It really is a "total performance" aircraft. :)

The only thing I would do differently if I bought another one is I want the 180hp, FI, and a FASTBACK! Everything else you can add, but fastback and FI are a bit more work than my skills (and time) would allow me to do. If you don't do aerobatics, 180hp and FI aren't really necessary.

Have resigned myself to obtaining a 160HP preferably CS, rarely see a 180HP here, the only one I have seen of late the guy was dreaming price wise.
Saw one with a Catto 3 blade prop, looked very smart:)
If only the dollar wasn't so **** I'd import one from the States in a flash!

RV-4

Capt:

''Have resigned myself to obtaining a 160HP preferably CS''

If you cannot find one with a 180 HP, get one one with 160HP and get the cylinders Ported and Flow balanced like mine and you will be more than happy

.. Loren Lemen at Lycon told me my engine was probably producing very close to 180 HP. now...eventough it has not been on a Dyno...

Sure is more powerful at altitude..

As for the CS..I have a Catto,3 blades Carbon Fiber prop on mine and I'm very happy with it..

YMMV

Bruno

I've had nothing to do with the latter Lyc engines like the 340 or 390 or having them 'worked'. The guy next to me in our hangar has a Carbon Cub with a 340 in it which by all accounts is a 320 stroked & he claims something like 170-180HP for the weight (actually lighter) of a 0-320, I am also learning fast here from some of you guys:)
Another RV4 that is for sale (but priced way over the top) had a Catto 3 blade prop but has been damaged by rain, seems he handed over his plane to a friend who is used to flying IFR & promptly ruined the prop, I'd prefer good old metal, tuff:)

So for now the search goes on.:)

RV-4

Capt

''I'd prefer good old metal, tuff:)''

-------------------------

For your info, Catto Carbon Fiber prop also comes ( if ordered ) with Nickel Leading Edge which is as strong and resistant to rain or little stones damages as an Aluminium prop..

That's what I have on mine specifically for the reason you mentioned above..I fly the aircraft IFR and didn't want to worry about rain damage..

Bruno

Yes Bruno I went & did a bit of reading about Catto props, seems the one in question on a particular RV4 I was looking at did not have that LE option. Everything is a trade off when it comes to aviation, usually associated with $$$:)

rv4 fit

It took me a few tries to find one that fit me. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam - long torso, which makes head clearance tricky sometimes. The first 3 rv4's that I looked at I couldn't close the canopy without serious head contact. There is a fair amount of adjustment by seat cushion thickness but I found one that the builder had fabricated a slider canopy that is located 3 inches forward and raised with skirts in the back that puts the highest point in the canopy right over my head. It really fits me well even with about six inches of Oregon Aero Foam in the seat bottom. It has a slightly pumped 0360 with 10.5 pistons and a Hartzell CS. Great for acro and it did 217.5 mph around the big course at Reno in 2015 without setting the governor over 2700. Better for formation than the RV6 it replaced too. Easier left turning join ups. Good luck with your search.
ln1a7190.jpg

Oh that looks fantastic!:) Every time I see an immaculate RV4 I almost cry, some I have seen would make me cry for different reasons!
I love my 7ECA but I now seek speed due distance I wish to travel.
The plane for me is out there, somewhere !:)

By all accounts the 4 with a 360 & CS & buit heavy is a good single seater with full gas especially with tip tanks, I guess to go 2 up one would need an 8.

carrying capacity

depends on empty weight and declared gw but it can be limiting depending on pilot/pax weight and much baggage. It only holds 32 gallons with stock tanks. Helps to have minimal or light weight equip/ panel and interior.

Yes I see a wide diff in M/T weight especially if it's got all the bells & whistles inc a 360/CS power set-up. MTOW (1500lbs)isn't variable down under as far as I know, not too sure what's allowed in the States.

Adrian,
My RV4 has an O-320 with ported and polished flow matched cylinders with 9:1 forged pistons (LyCon) and probably produces a little over 170 HP. I have a Catto fixed pitch 2-blade prop with nickel leading edges. It will do 200 mph wide open, or 175-180 mph at a conservative power setting using 8 gph. The engine runs very cool. I only see over 300 degrees CHT in the heat of summer (320-340) and my oil temp has never hit 200. I must have too much cooling - and cooling drag - and could probably pick up a few mph if I redesigned the cowl. My oil cooler butter-fly valve is fully closed 8 months out of the year - in Ohio. This airplane is a joy to fly, and maintenance and operating cost is as low as it gets. I am building another RV8 along with one of my my Cessna 182RG partners, and hope to keep this RV4. We both want it for many reasons- formation flying together, flexibility, and.... well, can you have too many airplanes. My RV4 is worth (in my opinion) 1/2 of what it will cost me to build a quality, state of the art RV8, about $114K total, so I may have to sell the RV4 to pay my half - or most of it. If you can think of a way to get an RV4 shipped to OZ, it may be worth it. There are some good ones here in the states, just keep looking. Use your airline priviledges to secure some space on a cargo airline, remove the wings, containerize it, and have it flown there - UPS, FEDEx, DHL, etc. you should be able to ride along as a jump seater. Don't give up......

G'Day Scott.
If our exchange rate would improve I'd think about importing a decent 4 or even an 8 from the States but it's really not very cost effective at the moment even with my contacts in the aviation game. It's getting one over there broken down & packed properly ready for shipping is the main issue as I would be at the mercy of too many unknowns. Everything down under is really expensive. I was looking at putting new cylinders with high comp pistons on my 7ECA but they are over $AU2500 each here plus the usual other bits associated with a top overhaul.
I'm on a mission at the moment to obtain a good one, only hope I find one before my steam runs out!
Great finding out other info from you guys, sure helps:)

Cheers
Adrian

Back