What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9a, or Rv-7a fit check

mizer2167

If there's anyone in the Tampa, FL area that will let me do a quick fit check on a -9 or -7, I'd like to see if I can find a way to squeeze in.

My head hit the canopy in an RV-14 at SnF, but I didn't get a chance to remove the seat or seat back to see if that could help out my predicament. It's the only tandem RV I've had a chance to sit in.

I'm 6'5" but long in the torso and still want to see if I can find a way to make this work out.

I'd really like to try a -9, since I read they have deeper seat ribs than a -7. I've also read the slider gives a little more headroom. So a -9 slider is perfection, but if anyone is kind enough, I'd take any offers I can get.

I did try a -8 on for size once, without removing cushions, but my knees hit the panel so that was a no-go.

I have a 9A slider at KZPH, pretty close by. There is another 9A and some 7/7A's I believe. I am planning on getting to the airport one evening this week, probably wednesday, to get some night flying in. You are more than welcome to come by and try it on for size, or even come for a ride.

Chris

I have a 9A slider at KZPH, pretty close by. There is another 9A and some 7/7A's I believe. I am planning on getting to the airport one evening this week, probably wednesday, to get some night flying in. You are more than welcome to come by and try it on for size, or even come for a ride.

Chris

Thanks! I would really appreciate the opportunity. I'll be in town Weds. (as long as my flight back is on time) and can meet you at KZPH if you let me know a time.

don't give up on any of the models, there are ways to increase headroom when building. I am almost 6-2 and with short legs. i made a few changes in my 4 and have no problem fitting in it.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

don't give up on any of the models, there are ways to increase headroom when building. I am almost 6-2 and with short legs. i made a few changes in my 4 and have no problem fitting in it.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I'm surprised. I'd given up about 6 months ago after not being able to close the canopy in an RV-14 at SnF.

I didn't plan on building. I was looking for a completed plane. It may be my only option so I can modify to fit in.

I keep coming back to the idea though. I really want to work it out, but my time, experience and talent when it comes to building is limited.

You will find many old threads dealing with fit and many peoples different experiences.
I am 6'-5" and 240. I have no problems. I built it for me. Careful though as many use an 1" extended panel and I can not get my legs underneath one. Also there is an aftermarket kit that alows the seat-back to be moved back another couple of inches.

I think a -7 with the Anti-Splat Almost -14 mod and rudder peddles mounted all the way forward would be a fine fit.

I plan to install the Almost -14 mod in my -7A for taller passengers.

Back