What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally happened......

rvbuilder2002

Legacy Member
Mentor
It's been a bit over 11 years ago that I completed the rebuild of the damaged RV-6A project that I purchased, and got it flying again.
It has gone though a number of upgrades since (Advanced Flight Systems panel upgrade, etc.) but most notable (appearance wise anyway) was finally painting it just over two years ago.
The Junkyard Special (as it is known) was previously too ugly to even bother with photos and since painting it the opportunity just hadn't come up, but it finally happened this week.

Ed Hicks (yes, that Ed Hicks) was in town working on some other projects and the opportunity presented itself for me to form up on his camera lens.

I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Thanks again Ed

oO0.jpg

oOi.jpg

Edit: Oops, sorry for the file size. My first time using Halie and only now did I realize I needed to adjust file size before uploading them.

Last edited:
I my has been a while since I have seen your bird so I wouldn't have recognized it. Outstanding Scott! Love it.
Looks like a calendar photo to me.

Nice

Nice build Scott. I bet it flys great! Did you go with the original rudder or did you go with the RV-7 rudder? Just curious.
Paint look fantastic.

cj

Looks great Scott I am jealous. Can I borrow your RV signature/nickname for two years? You don't need it anymore. :)

Nice build Scott. I bet it flys great! Did you go with the original rudder or did you go with the RV-7 rudder? Just curious.
Paint look fantastic.

cj

Neither.
It got rebuilt with the RV-8 vertical and rudder that was supplied in the last RV-6 emp. kits sold.

Last edited:
Very nice. I really like the first picture with the clouds in the back ground, looks like they are parting just for your plane!

Nice

I see the reason for the colors of your signature now.
That plane "pops" as the trendy crowd would say:).

Very nice, Scott! It would be fun to see a "before" shot to see the transition.

Lets just say that the rebuild was quite extensive. Took about a year and 4 months to second first flight.

oOS.jpg

oOV.jpg

My rivet bucker.
He went on to participate in a TeenFlight RV-12 build a couple years later (just turned 23 yesterday).

Very nice! Time to rename it from "Junkyard Special" to something else, maybe "Phoenix".

`Junkyard Special' has a nice ring to it, although it definitely looks more special than junk in the photos. `Phoenix' is good too, but it didn't end too well when Jimmy Stewart flew it in the movie, so maybe stick with the first choice?

It's really hard to beat the looks of that short wing. And the yellow and blue color really make the wing look shorter........ Looks great.

If that's what a Junkyard Special looks like, an Oshkosh Champion must be absolutely incredible.

Back