What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 and an SMA 305 Diesel engine

I emailed Thierry Argaud at SMA in Nov 12 about this. His response was:

Thank you for your interest in the SMA engine.
I share your analysis in term of avgas cost, scarcity and SMA-RV10 compliance.

SMA is not providing kit, even if in the past, to demonstrate our previous engine version, we created a C182 STC & kit.
So, at that time, we focus on the certified market, the OEM designing the installation.
If a company (not SMA) wanted to propose certified Vans, SMA would study the business plan.

So I am back to looking at IO540 variants. I understand Barrett and Areo Sport have stopped making their versions. Are there any other choices?

I'm a little confused by this quote. Do you mean that Barrett is not making their version of the IO-540??? If so where did you hear that??

RV-10 with SMA 305

Ask Scott Flandermeyer at KFFC, Peachtree City, GA. He has a flying RV-10 with an SMA 305 diesel.

Last edited:
Ask Scott Flandermeyer at KFFC, Peachtree City, GA. He has a flying RV-10 with an SMA 305 diesel.

No, not an SMA. He has a hybrid Continental, a mix of CD-230, CD-265, and experimental parts. Yes, it has obvious SMA genes (the worst kept secret in aviation), but nearly everything has been revised. The upcoming 265 makes another jump.

It's easy to be confused. The Continental TD-300-B (first generation CD-230) was pretty much an SMA-305. Not dead sure, but I don't think Conti ever sold any of them.

Watch for the May issue of Kitplanes.

Barrett

"...I'm a little confused by this quote. Do you mean that Barrett is not making their version of the IO-540??? If so where did you hear that??..."

Barrett is still building their variant. Give Rhonda a call and she will tell you all about it. Basically, they will build it however you want it.

My BPE IO-540 was built with 9:1, Superior Cylinders, Cold Air Induction, Full Dual EFII, Reiff Preheat, Billet Rocker Covers, and they did the engine mount mod (the stock engine mount interferes with the cold air induction).

It did 290 HP on the dyno and I a m very happy with the product and outstanding customer service.

Back