What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl fitting questions

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Between my mods and bad trimming jobs I've been in sort of a cowling, baffles loop. I see the end so I'm looking at some of the things I pushed off. Any help would be appreciated.

Page 47-6 Step 13 talks about Beveling the eyelets along the curved portion of the Cowl Attach Hinges. The figure only shows 4 hinges to bevel, all at the top part of the curve. Are these the ones I should bevel or should I bevel the 15 or so eyelets along the entire curved area? Should note I can get the cowl on, just using takes a hit of my fist to go in... assuming that's what these are for.

Page 47-10 Step 1 is attaching the Support bracket on the bottom of the cowling to the bottom of the plane. The hardware it calls out if essentially a #8 machine screw and one of those tiny profile nuts. Is there some reason I can't use a nut plate for this? I can't really get my hand under the nose gear and inside the cowling to hold this tiny nut... makes sense to use a nutplate but wanted to ask.

Thanks!

Page 47-10 Step 1 is attaching the Support bracket on the bottom of the cowling to the bottom of the plane. The hardware it calls out if essentially a #8 machine screw and one of those tiny profile nuts. Is there some reason I can't use a nut plate for this? I can't really get my hand under the nose gear and inside the cowling to hold this tiny nut... makes sense to use a nutplate but wanted to ask.

Thanks!

It's a one off installation so it shouldn't need a nutplate. Just get your pliers and small wrenches out. :)

It can be installed with the cowling off.

It's a one off installation so it shouldn't need a nutplate. Just get your pliers and small wrenches out. :)

It can be installed with the cowling off.

Oh, ha... okay now I feel silly. I was thinking you had to take it on and off when removing the cowl. I can get it on pretty easy with the lower cowl off.

Page 47-6 Step 13 talks about Beveling the eyelets along the curved portion of the Cowl Attach Hinges. The figure only shows 4 hinges to bevel, all at the top part of the curve. Are these the ones I should bevel or should I bevel the 15 or so eyelets along the entire curved area? Should note I can get the cowl on, just using takes a hit of my fist to go in... assuming that's what these are for.

Anyone help me with this?

Back