What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator rubbing HS

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
I just temporarily installed a elevator on the HS and the leading edge of the elevator was touching the HS spar. Has any other -14 builder had this issue. It looks like i will have to back the rod end bearing out two full turns to allow smooth rotation. What was your experience with this?

I had the same issue, and I believe I remember reading others as well. I got pretty good at taking the elevators off and on. It's definitely a trial and error process. I remember "ensuring" the leading edge bend of the elevators were properly formed. I may have "encouraged" them a bit. Also, during my many trial fits, I finally figured out that because there are two hinges, one can be used as the pivot point. e.g. If the inner edge is rubbing, you may try and "screw in" the outer rod end bearing. I was a little paranoid about not knowing exactly how much threads were in the nutplates. I measured and determined the max amount I was comfortable threading each one out.
I think I also used a piece of thin cardboard to keep checking clearance.
Good luck!

Rubbing

I had the same issue too. The first thing I checked was whether the hingeline was straight by running a stringline through the middle. It was dead nuts on. So, the problem was resolved through a combination of re-bending the leading edge of the elevators and by moving the rod-end bearings one half turn at a time. I too got very good at taking the elevators on and off, but there is no other way around it. Trial and error until it's right.

Back