What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Virginia Aviation Ambassadors Program

Vlad

Well Known Member
Couple three years ago an RV builder and flyer Don Alexander sent me a booklet and a passport. I forgot about it till recently. I was looking for a place to fly and it struck me I've already got a destination. So I dug the old paperwork out and learned that Virginia Department of Aviation has a great program. The program is designed to encourage pilots to fly to all of the airports in Virginia as well as visit aviation museums and attend safety seminars. 66 airports to visit? I am in :D

De Diligence on a cold morning of Feb 13, 2016.

Blackstone Army Airfield couple hours later. KBKT.

Tower was manned on the weekend. I was progressively instructed where to go and what to do. No wonder pilots get lazy these days no grey matter required.
The Ambassador Stamp is located in a mailbox right below the tower.

You get a bit of a view. Your tax dollars at work.

Thanks for your service guys!

One airport down 65 to go. Thank you Don! Better late then never. :)

That's a great program. I learned about it 2 Decembers ago while I was at a toy drop near Richmond. My family lives in South Carolina, so I've been working on SC, NC, VA, and MD. Lot's of fun when you are checking out of an airport at the FBO and a plane comes in with people looking for the stamp!:)

You would be the right guy to establish a program in NJ. I think on the NC site they had information and suggestions to start a program in your own state Vlad!!

Ambassador programs

South Carolina has had a program for about five years, become a member and get all of the state's airport stamps, plus attend a State Aviation Association Conference or Expo or Aviation Safety Program thingy and you receive a very nice leather flight jacket. I've heard that NC also has a program but I can't find any information about one.

I have about 85 airport stamps, 4 museum stamps, and 3 FAST program stamps in my FlyNC booklet. Not many more to go.

Virginia DOT has a great website and links to the NC, SC, and MD websites for their programs. I think I have a dozen or so stamps for Virginia's Ambasidor program. Each website has a listing for where the stamps can be found (some airport stamps are not easily found without this info). I think in every case, each participating airport is a public use airport.

The MD program takes a sign up through their web site and it took about 3 months to receive their stamp booklet. The SC booklet arrived within about 2 weeks of signing up.

NC used to have booklets available at each of the participating airports, but it does not appear that they still do. You may need to contact the NCDOT for the State booklet.

I use the booklets and programs as a reason to just fly someplace different. I have told a number of flight instructors about the program and encouraged them to let their students know about the program. It gives them another reason to visit "other" airfields.

Lastly, you do not have to fly in to an airport to get a stamp. You can drive in. Each state just wants you to come visit and see what they have to offer.

Nice

That's a really nice picture of your plane Vlad :)

VA%20Ambassador%20-%201.jpg

Hey Vlad, check out Smith Mountain Lake A/P near Roanoke, Va. . Mo, the owner, has kicked new life into the airport. Very nice place, he has rentals on the field, courtesy car, cheap fuel, etc. Very nice Bed and Breakfast right on the field, Bedford Landings and the owner is building a RV10. He also has a beautiful Pietenpol and a sweet C-170. BTW, Mo is a local guy, he lives on or near Sky Manor during the week.

NY had something similar for their aviation museums. Most could not be flown to, but it was fun trying to get the stamps. I think it was called the Aviation Trail ?

I also remember something like this in NJ a long time ago. I may still have the stamp booklet, but if I recall correctly you had to complete it in a short time frame.

Certified Tower Operator

That's where I got my Certified Tower Operator Qualification as an air traffic controller. There seems to be a whole lot more aircraft there then I remember... but by the look of the tan clamshell tents in the background they are doing an exercise. The reason we tell you where it is/ progressive taxi you as close to it as possible is because we had a few pilots just start wondering around. Its not a secure field, but keeping people corralled was an issue in the past.

Have you gotten a chance to fly to the Military Aviation Museum in Pungo, VA? (it's a private airport, but have seen parties fly in) It's an amazing collection of WWI and WWII aircraft!

36?40′41.54″N 76?01′58.75″W
militaryaviationmuseum.org

Have you gotten a chance to fly to the Military Aviation Museum in Pungo, VA? (it's a private airport, but have seen parties fly in) It's an amazing collection of WWI and WWII aircraft!

Best collection (flying) that I've seen. I drove though.

Hey Vlad, check out Smith Mountain Lake A/P near Roanoke, Va. . Mo, the owner, has kicked new life into the airport. Very nice place, he has rentals on the field, courtesy car, cheap fuel, etc. Very nice Bed and Breakfast right on the field, Bedford Landings and the owner is building a RV10. He also has a beautiful Pietenpol and a sweet C-170. BTW, Mo is a local guy, he lives on or near Sky Manor during the week.

Been there a month or so ago Dave. Didn't have a chance to meet legendary Mr Bazaan but talked to Brent the CFI and saw his amphibian. He gives instruction for SES rating for a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
That's where I got my Certified Tower Operator Qualification as an air traffic controller. There seems to be a whole lot more aircraft there then I remember... but by the look of the tan clamshell tents in the background they are doing an exercise. The reason we tell you where it is/ progressive taxi you as close to it as possible is because we had a few pilots just start wondering around. Its not a secure field, but keeping people corralled was an issue in the past.

36?40′41.54″N 76?01′58.75″W
militaryaviationmuseum.org

Hi Jason your comrades at the tower were very accommodating. And you are right there was a battalion in the tents. Speaking of the Pungo I have a bad taste of that field. Was asked to leave immediately two elderly docents didn't even wanted to hear about who invited me. The year was 2012 :eek:

It looks like it's a lot different on the east coast, with small states all over the place. Here in Oregon, I don't see this happening (unless I missed something). One site lists at least 422 airports here in our State. With Washington to the north, probably similar. And California to the south... don't even get started! You may not get to all of them in a lifetime.

http://www.airport-data.com/usa-airports/state/Oregon.html

Grundy KGDY

Ever been to Grundy? Several accomplished Ambassadors with high performance airplanes confessed they didn't fly in. They drove to get The Stamp.
I decided to fly and it was a lot of fun on a calm day. Could be tricky to get in when windy.

Grundy%20-%201%204.jpg

The airport is on top of a 2,300' hill. Runway is in decent shape over two thousand feet long with no overruns.

Grundy%20-%201.jpg

Grundy%20-%201%201.jpg

View from threshold of runway 04.

Grundy%20-%201%202.jpg

That's the approach end of runway 22.

Grundy%20-%201%203.jpg

Good experience overall. It looks just like Catalina Island in California only one thousand feet shorter and no restaurant. Go explore and get a stamp!

Last edited:
Tappahannock Fly In

Every year Virginia Aviation Department chooses a different airport for a Fly in where they honor aviation ambassadors who reached first level of accomplishment. Year 2016 was Tappahannock KXSA. Here I met Don Alexander and learned that cousin already passed two levels and was awarded a cap and a flying bag. We unanimously agreed to finish the program in 2017 and get our patched flight jackets. The leather jackets are free and of a good quality my old one already has a broken zipper and torn pockets. Here is a brief slide show of the event.

Tappahannock%20Fly%20In%20-%201%207.jpg

Tappahannock%20Fly%20In%20-%201%202.jpg

I am glad my RV could serve as a supporting platform for a cameraman. :D

Tappahannock%20Fly%20In%20-%201%209.jpg

More arrivals.

Tappahannock%20Fly%20In%20-%201%203.jpg

The honoring ceremony and speeches.

Tappahannock%20Fly%20In%20-%201%204.jpg

Tappahannock%20Fly%20In%20-%201%205.jpg

Tappahannock%20Fly%20In%20-%201%206.jpg

The jacket #431.

Tappahannock%20Fly%20In%20-%201%208.jpg

There was a car show, biplane rides and live music. Looking forward to 2017.

Tappahannock%20Fly%20In%20-%201.jpg

Same here

Hey Vlav.....Kathryn ans I decided to do the Ambassador Program also. We have a couple stamps now and will continue. Problem is that I fly at times she is un available so I don't get stamo without her.

BTW.....where is the stamp located at Grundy?

Hey Vlav.....Kathryn ans I decided to do the Ambassador Program also. We have a couple stamps now and will continue. Problem is that I fly at times she is un available so I don't get stamo without her.

Bobsky glad to hear that! I wish I had the passport with me when driving your truck to Reagan. Stamp at Grundy is located in unlocked little den at a corner hangar. Closer to parking see the red dot. BTW do you have any info when next Safety Seminar in VA would be?

260fd3c5-65d6-4dbf-87b4-7a04105a5076.jpg

Douglas C-54 Skymaster at Lonesome Pine

Look who I caught visiting Lonesome Pine airport on Sept 24th, 2016. Douglas C-54 Skymaster! The temptation was high to position my little RV under the big wing for a perfect shot but there was nobody around to check the clearance. :D

Berlin%20Airlift%20-%201%201.jpg

Berlin%20Airlift%20-%201.jpg

Thanks Vlad

Hey my Russki brother....thank you for the intell....will go on recon and secure the info :). (Sorry for the late reply....been on the road)

Two Stamp Seekers

Two stamp seekers converged in Farmville, VA on a nice Sunday afternoon. Jim in recently completed RV7A with his wife were returning from the south. They collected three stamps today and I was just heading that way.

Farmville%20VA%20-%201%201.jpg

Farmville%20VA%20-%201%202.jpg

Here we are holding our passports. Jim visited more airports but I am catching up. We unanimously decided to complete the program in 2017 and meet at a VA Flyin to get our free leather jackets. :D

Farmville%20VA%20-%201.jpg

Driving to Dulles and Reagan airports.

Some airports in VA are not easily accessible by RV. Neither they are affordable if you manage to fly in. I drove to Dulles and Reagan. All FBOs have the stamp.

Dulles%20-%201.jpg

Then I stopped at The National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico. It was a Halloween night. Very interesting exhibitions. Go visit.

Quantico%20Museum%20-%201%201.jpg

Quantico%20Museum%20-%201%202.jpg

Quantico%20Museum%20-%201%204.jpg

Quantico%20Museum%20-%201%206.jpg

Finished the day in a nice company of my cousin Don Alexander who gave me this brilliant idea about VA Aviation Ambassador Program several years ago. Thanks Don!

at%20Dons%20-%201.jpg

at%20Dons%20-%201%202.jpg

at%20Dons%20-%201%201.jpg

Bonfire, good wine and a live violin concert! Life is good! :D

Three more Ambassadors

It looks like I enlisted three more aviation enthusiasts/pilots/RV builders to VA Aviation Ambassadorship. :)

Mazda Ebrahimi is building both an RV-7A and his mountain home in West Virginia. The home just outside of Martinsburg KMRB Class D. We flew to several VA airports to collect Ambassador stamps. He did all autopilot work. Thanks Mazda for hard work from the right seat, thanks for steak, beer and ATV fun!

Mazda%20-%201.jpg

Mazda%20-%201%201.jpg

The view from mountain house toward Washington DC.

Mazda%20-%201%202.jpg

I know where Mountain house is! And to think with being so close, you didn't even slide by to say hey. :D

I know where Mountain house is! And to think with being so close, you didn't even slide by to say hey. :D

I felt a light headache on Sunday morning. Buzzed Jim's strip and went straight home. Will stop by early December. :)

Hudson%20-%201.jpg

Let's get together sometime. I'm there most weekends.

And many thanks to Vlad to give me some seat time in an RV. Great fun!

Sounds good Mazda and if I figure correctly, you're place is a neighbor of "Sticks & Stones?"

Vlad, just giving you a hard time my friend!

I know exactly! I worked the beat in this neck of the woods for years and my father lives on the west side of the range. I'm headed up his way to visit this Saturday and I'll stop by and see if your in. 👍🏻

Sounds good Mazda and if I figure correctly, you're place is a neighbor of "Sticks & Stones?"

Vlad, just giving you a hard time my friend!

That's where his retreat is Sheriff. Hundreds of acres of steep slopes around the house with woods and rocks all his estate. Bring all your rifles and ammo. Don't forget the Humvee :D

Mills%20Gap%20-%201.jpg

I know exactly! I worked the beat in this neck of the woods for years and my father lives on the west side of the range. I'm headed up his way to visit this Saturday and I'll stop by and see if your in. 👍🏻
I've got a flight lesson with Lee Jones at 8. Should be there around 10AM. Will PM you my number. Wife will be coming off night shift but it'll be nice to meet.

You never know what kind of aircrafts you can see on the ramp at Brookneal 0V4.

Brookneal%20-%201.jpg

Leesburg. That's definitely a military guy marches toward me. :)

Leesburg%20-%201%201.jpg

Leesburg%20-%201.jpg

Lee County airport 0VG. Located in the farthest corner of Virginia. The stamp is located in the mailbox just outside the airport shack.

Lee%20-%201_1.jpg

Dragstrip W90

New London airport W90 is a dragway. Airport is NOTAMed when they have the races. The runway is pretty beatup by the numbers but at the centerline it looks better. Surely an interesting place to visit. I've landed on several drag strips and this one is the best for airplanes. :)

Dragway%20-%201.jpg

Dragway%20-%201%203.jpg

Dragway%20-%201%201.jpg

Dragway%20-%201%202.jpg

VA Safety Seminars

Attention to those who is looking for VA Safety Seminar schedule. These spring seminars will have Ambassador stamps.

1 May ? Virginia Air and Space Museum (Newport News)
2 May ? Culpeper Regional Airport
3 May ? Blacksburg (Virginia Tech) Airport
4 May ? Virginia Department of Aviation, Richmond International Airport

If you miss these next round will be held sometime in October 2017. For schedule monitor DOAV website.

Roanoke KROA the last airport

Now I can brag I visited all public airports in Virginia. Recently flew to Roanoke. Weather was a bit on a chilly side I passed NRAO

Roanoke%20-%201%205.jpg

then Ingalls Field of Hot Springs KHSP. I've been here at least three times.

Roanoke%20-%201.jpg

Roanoke is situated in a valley and surrounding mountains prevent radar contact till 10 miles out.

Roanoke%20-%201%201.jpg

The view is breathtaking as soon as pop over the range. I was sent direct to the numbers a regional jet was coming as well. I landed long and exited via taxiway Alfa as soon as I can.

Roanoke%20-%201%202.jpg

Signature FBO on the weekend is not busy. I had a chat with a nice German lady in charge then took a crew car to town.

Roanoke%20-%201%204.jpg

Bought minimum gas (7gal) and even got a weekend discount on that. :)

Roanoke%20-%201%203.jpg

So all public airports in Commonwealth of Virginia are visited. Some of them were just a quick hop for the stamp but the majority I explored. At least dozen I visited multiple times.

Last edited:
How Long?

Well done Vlad...What did you think of the "hill" at W24 (Falwell)?
Also, how long did it take to put this notch in your belt?

Well done Vlad...What did you think of the "hill" at W24 (Falwell)?
Also, how long did it take to put this notch in your belt?

Couple years Chuck. First stamp was at Accomack KMFV early 2015. "The Hill" of W24 is fun indeed. Been there three times and still have your book not signed. :)

Airport Ambassador

I think I just found a project when I retire. Couldn't find any local info, anyone know if they have an Airport Ambassador program in Missouri? Sounds like fun.

Last edited:
Right behind you...

Couple three years ago an RV builder and flyer Don Alexander sent me a booklet and a passport. I forgot about it till recently. I was looking for a place to fly and it struck me I've already got a destination. So I dug the old paperwork out and learned that Virginia Department of Aviation has a great program. The program is designed to encourage pilots to fly to all of the airports in Virginia as well as visit aviation museums and attend safety seminars. 66 airports to visit? I am in :D

De Diligence on a cold morning of Feb 13, 2016.

Blackstone Army Airfield couple hours later. KBKT.

Tower was manned on the weekend. I was progressively instructed where to go and what to do. No wonder pilots get lazy these days no grey matter required.
The Ambassador Stamp is located in a mailbox right below the tower.

You get a bit of a view. Your tax dollars at work.

Thanks for your service guys!

One airport down 65 to go. Thank you Don! Better late then never. :)

Vlad,
I have 5 left. I'm saving KIAD (Dulles International for the grand Finale).
I did not know Blacksburg Army Base was open without military prior permission to land?
Is it open?

Happy Landings,
Daddyman
Dues +

Very Inspiring Vlad!

I always wondered, if I can fly to all the public airports in the U.S. in my lifetime. I see you are already on you way to complete this mission one state at a time. :)

Check out new museum at KEZF

NY had something similar for their aviation museums. Most could not be flown to, but it was fun trying to get the stamps. I think it was called the Aviation Trail ?

I also remember something like this in NJ a long time ago. I may still have the stamp booklet, but if I recall correctly you had to complete it in a short time frame.

The former Virginia Aviation Museum (KRIC) has closed, and with LOTS of effort from local RV guys and the owner of KEZF, it has been moved to KEZF (on the field).
I think it is slated to open in April.

Daddyman
Dues +

VA Ambassador Program

I've been slooooowly filling out my book over the years. The most interesting was Reagan/National, since it is prohibitively complicated to actually fly there. Started chatting up security guards in the terminal when I was stuck there with a delayed flight. They thought I was crazy until this really old dude said "oh, I know what he needs," rummaged around in a drawer, and found the dust-covered stamp amid a bunch of office supplies. :)

Let me know when any of you guys drop by W96 -- I'll show off the new (to me) RV-9A!

Hey, thats my Dream Flyer in your picture

KyKingBob,
That was my camp RV-4, and me in the flight suit with my back turned.

Cool.

Daddyman

The former Virginia Aviation Museum (KRIC) has closed, and with LOTS of effort from local RV guys and the owner of KEZF, it has been moved to KEZF (on the field).
I think it is slated to open in April.

Daddyman
Dues +

I used to volunteer there. A great loss. The Spad XIII and Vultee, in particular, are real historical gems. I'm very sorry I came to the party too late to help with the relocation -- and I'm hugely grateful for that effort!

Good for you, Vlad!

You've completed a feat I am nowhere close to doing - and I live here!

Took my flight training at KROA back in the day; now I avoid the place, even though many cross-countries from here take me over or very close by it. Have never landed my 6A at Roanoke in 19 years of flying it and basing 30 miles away.

My last communication with ROA approach was "Experimental three-zero-yankee-delta, remain clear of the class Charlie airspace" when I asked for clearance through on a trip south to Florida about a decade ago. Guess I'm a grass strip kind of guy at heart...

Oh, and what's your excuse for coming that close to Hop Along without stopping in to visit?

Last edited:
Hey Vlad..come on over to Ontario

Hey Vlad, come on over to South Western Ontario!
A lot of great G/A airports over here we often visit..mainly for breakfasts. Lots of RV guys gather usually on Saturday mornings, sometimes Sundays 'cause many work Mon-Friday. "Flippin' Eggs" at CYGD (Goderich) on the shores of Lake Huron, great small restaurant at Tillsonburg, CYTB near Long Point on Lake Erie. Restaurant at Hanover , CYHS, always draws lots of pilots, Edenvale , CYV8 and Brantford, CYFD to name a few. You could do a tour and fill up on bacon and eggs with home fries, toast and coffee !
Cheers
Dave
C-GCPD

Vlad,
I have 5 left. I'm saving KIAD (Dulles International for the grand Finale).
I did not know Blacksburg Army Base was open without military prior permission to land?
Is it open?

Happy Landings,
Daddyman
Dues +

Is that you Daddyman? Yes the Army Base is open it's a joint venture. :)

Daddyman%20-%201.jpg

I always wondered, if I can fly to all the public airports in the U.S. in my lifetime. I see you are already on you way to complete this mission one state at a time. :)

Triple One сколько лет сколько зим! long time no talk! How is flying life down south? It's 360+ vfr days here :D

Triple%20One%20-%201.jpg

Triple%20One%20-%201%201.jpg

You've completed a feat I am nowhere close to doing - and I live here!

Took my flight training at KROA back in the day; now I avoid the place, even though many cross-countries from here take me over or very close by it. Have never landed my 6A at Roanoke in 19 years of flying it and basing 30 miles away.

My last communication with ROA approach was "Experimental three-zero-yankee-delta, remain clear of the class Charlie airspace" when I asked for clearance through on a trip south to Florida about a decade ago. Guess I'm a grass strip kind of guy at heart...

Oh, and what's your excuse for coming that close to Hop Along without stopping in to visit?

Bill it was tempting I was right over your drome. I don't like just to drop down without notice anymore :D

Hey Vlad, come on over to South Western Ontario!
A lot of great G/A airports over here we often visit..mainly for breakfasts. Lots of RV guys gather usually on Saturday mornings, sometimes Sundays 'cause many work Mon-Friday. "Flippin' Eggs" at CYGD (Goderich) on the shores of Lake Huron, great small restaurant at Tillsonburg, CYTB near Long Point on Lake Erie. Restaurant at Hanover , CYHS, always draws lots of pilots, Edenvale , CYV8 and Brantford, CYFD to name a few. You could do a tour and fill up on bacon and eggs with home fries, toast and coffee !
Cheers
Dave
C-GCPD

Thanks Dave I mapped your suggestions. On my "around Lake Huron" run I will check some of them. :)

Program completed

VA Aviation Ambassador Program is completed. Feels good to be in one cohort with outstanding RVators like Rick Solana and others. Did I mention they send a you free leather jacket of great quality?

South Carolina next. Over a dozen airfields already visited and stamped. :)

Back