What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New 912 not charging

Ron B.

Well Known Member
My 912 ULS isn't charging. Tonight I thought I had found the issue, no ground on the Mallory capacitor . But no luck. I'm wandering if running the engine without a ground fried something?
Thanks Ron

It is unlikely that the capacitor is the problem.
The most likely cause of charging system failure on the RV-12 is the Ducati voltage regulator.
Some RV-12 owners have replaced the Ducati with John Deere part number AM101406, or MIA881279.
If that is done, the connector will not fit and wires will have to be switched around.
Another option is to use a Silent Hektik regulator.

Make sure that there is battery voltage on regulator terminal "C" When the master switch is turned on.

no charge

Can you give us a bit of history, your post title says new 912. is this a new plane with a new engine and you cant get any charge?
If this is the case you need to check all the wiring to try and find a fault
it is unlikely that the regulator has failed with no useage they do fail but not for a couple of hundred hours
Have you measured the volts out of the alternaltor before the regulator

Yes new never flown. I'm just starting to search out the issue. I checked terminal "C" (with engine not running) and no voltage was found.
I find the plug (long black housing) on the Voltage regulator doesn't plug in well. One ear will catch and if you push in the other side the first one backs out.
Thanks Ron

RV-12 VR connector

As Joe says, the small yellow wire on the "C" terminal must have battery voltage on it when the Master is turned on.

The black connector can be problematic as you can't easily tell if all the connections are being made adequately. Consider removing the individual wire spades from the black connector, cover them with shrink wrap and push them on to the regulator individually. You can then tell by feel if they are tight.

i-p6nTdqj-L.jpg

In this photo you can also see a dedicated ground wire back to the battery negative. And I used nut plates on the panel base so the regulator mounting screws could be removed without removing the top instrument cover and longer screws with standoffs. This makes the regulator relatively easy to change in the event (likely) that it goes TU some time in the future. Carry a spare.

Found my mistake in the wiring. I missed connecting the C terminal with the B and R (I think that was the two other terminals). I now have 12 V on the c terminal and a working charging system.
Thanks

Back