What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Over rudder wire way

Handclutch

Well Known Member
I was running coax today for a second radio and found that the builder didn't install the over rudder wire way. Loom is resting on the rudder tubes. It is spread out, so the weight is not concentrated on just a few wires and there are no obvious signs of damage. In reality there is very little movement to cause wear on the wiring but it needs to be fixed. I don't relish the thought of trying to install a wire way now. I have real trouble seeing/reaching up into that area. And I don't know if there is a nut plate installed - will check tomorrow but don't know whether I'll be able to see it through the wires, even with a mirror.

As a temporary fix I'm thinking of placing some sheet rubber over the top of the tubes to eliminate the metal to wiring contact. Pretty sure I can manage that with a bit of contortion.

I was surprised at the omission because this aircraft was the builder's third RV, and overall the workmanship is superb.

Jack

Prior to the "over rudder wireway", two separate cushion clamps were used, one on each side. Sometimes cushion clamps can be difficult to install, especially when working upside down with obstacles in the way. The wireway is designed to be installed after the wires are already in place. Just slide it into place and insert the screw. It is not quite that easy, but is a whole lot easier than cushion clamps. The cost of a new wireway and shipping should not be much.

I don't understand ?

I don't understand why Vans routed the wires over the Rudder Pedal System ?

I thought maybe to allow removal of the torque tubes ?

I routed the wires in front of the Pedal Torque Tubes and I can remove the assembly.

Going back over the tubes seams as a unnecessary requirement ?

Am I Missing something?

Joe Dallas

I gathered the idea was to have a clear path to remove the WD-1206 tubes. At least on my RV12, there is no way to get the rudder tubes past the wire bundle after everything is installed. I added a second Over Rudder Wireway to accommodate the extra wires I ran. This is a very easy item to fabricate yourself from a piece of scrap aluminum.

You may want to verify that the F12125C Wireway Bracket was installed, that would at least take the cable weight off the tubes if the cable bundle is securely zip tied to the bracket.

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

We looked at it and thought this...

When the RV12 was first launched, there wasn't a huge amount of wiring going over the tubes - all OK.

Now we have probably 2 or 3 times as much cabling because of Skyview, servos, lighting, trim, this, that and the other.

We routed in front and tied back with an Adel clamp to the firewall, much, much neater and secure.

If I need to remove the rudder tubes, we are in deep Do Do and I probably won't care at that point :rolleyes:

Back