What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Wheel Fairing Asymmetry

Installing the wheel fairings on my 7A I found that the left side wheel fairing sits about 3/4 inch farther forward on the gear compared to the right side. Both were originally fitted with the U-808 bracket (the one that bolts to the aluminum axle nut) aligned to the aft half of the wheel fairing per drawing C2. But on the right side I had to carve out about a 1-inch semicircle from the forward half of the fairing where it mates to the aft half to allow clearance for the brake line. That was not necessary on the left side.
I understand that a certain amount of tolerance stack-up can be expected, especially with fiberglass components, but this seems a little excessive. Maybe it's a non-issue but I would like to understand the cause. Could there be a problem with the gear legs?

Thanks
Paul Johnson

The wheel pants must be custom fit for every build. Sounds like whoever did the trimming/fitting on yours didn't quite get it right. Whether to fix it or not is entirely up to you.

You can leave it or You can fix it.

Fix - remove the fairing you want to move. Glass over the old holes and trim the tire opening to fit... you may have to glass in the larger tire to fairing gap if needed. Relocated new holes that position.

Replace - Option #2 buy new farings... This may be a good choice if you have an old style fairing and want to upgrade to the lower drag "pressure recovery" fairing.

It is ODD they got this wrong... When doing the fiarings at the same time you would make sure the holes were in about the same place on both LH and RH fairing.

The big issue fitting these is they are too high/low on tire, towed in/out, rotated back is low/high..... It is a pain to get all this perfect right in general and from LH to RH.... The issue fwd and aft displacement is not usually the issue.

Where are the gear axles... I don't want to worry you. It is possible the plane took a firm landing and tweaked the gear (bent it).

Back