What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taxi Lights

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi All
I have been flying my RV at night more and I have noticed that taxi lights would be a good option. Has anybody installed taxi lights on their Taildragger RV

On all of our Rv’s, the wing-mounted landing lights are switched separately, and one aimed for “landing” and the other aimed for “taxi” - so the switches are labeled that way as well. So yup - I have a taxi light!

Paul

Ditto Paul..

My -4 set up just like Paul's. I put my" taxi" light on R/H side because at my home field I will make all right turns the majority of my night taxi back to hangar.

Ditto for me.

The left light is pointing straight out when the tail us down and the right side points straight out with the tail up. Like Paul and Bill, they are on separate switches.

It works really well on final with the high low spread and with my 100 watt halogen bulbs, the runway threshold is bathed in light at 400 to 500 feet. (Duckworh standard set up with 100 watt bulbs. Someday I might change to LED's.)

If you don't want to drill another hole, put a three-way switch in; down - off, middle - taxi only, and up - taxi and landing.

Last edited:
Landing and Taxi in Both Wings

I used two different AeroLEDs lights in each wing leading edge. The narrow beamed ones (Extreem) used as a landing lights aimed tail up. The others, wide beamed lights (Micro Sun) aimed with the tail down for taxi use. Micro Suns are mounted underneath the Extreems. Tight fit, but I was able to get one of each in a Duckworks mount/cutout. Separately switched with middle switch position also wired for synchronized wig-wag using this built in feature from AeroLEDs. Use the wig-wag feature on every flight.

Last edited:
As mentioned two separate lights in each wing is the standard installation I have seen. There has been some recent development in the landing/taxi light arena by Flyled out of Australia.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=161401&highlight=LED+taxi+light

PAR36-concept-2-1.jpg

Originally Posted by Paul from Flyleds
For those of you lamenting the fact that you cut your leading edges already, don't! It's a fantastic spot for lights to go. So if you already have some metalwork in there from Team Aerodynamix or Duckworks, how about this then?

Designed as an oversized board so that you can trim it to fit your application, but the larger circle around the spots is 100mm diameter and represents the hole size of a PAR36 globe. In other words, it'll drop right into place.
Note the top LED is adjustable for angle. That one can be a flood lens for taxiing, especially suited for you non -A drivers.

Last edited:
Back