What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monument Valley

Vlad

Well Known Member
Based on advice from senior VAFers I took a tour of Monument Valley recently. It never gets old.

Native American residencies. Remember 500' rule. An arrow may be heading your way if violated.

More red rocks.

There is a pretty place to land. UT25 Goulding Trading post. No PPR required.

It's one way in one way out airstrip.

Plenty of parking. If you forget chocks no worries there are triangular red rocks nearby. Plenty.

Walk to the gas station and grocery store. The assortment is minimal but it will keep you going.

Take a Grand Canyon tour after that. Watch your altitude and monitor advisory frequency.

If you are not flying yet go to your shop tomorrow and do something on your project. Life is short to tinker indefinitely!

Thanks

Thanks for the inspiration. Now I think I will go out to the RV manufacturing Center of Excellence and generate some perspiration.

Vlad,
We plan to be there last week of April with family visiting us from abroad. Are there any daytime restrictions overflying monument valley area? Do you happen to know the air to air frequency to monitor? I know UT25 have their own frequency. (122.9)
My wife and I flew in there a few years ago. The scenery is something to behold! Your pictures are beautiful!
Thanks.
Johan

There is a very nice hotel, restaurant, museum, and gift shop there. They do book up early during the tour bus season. They also have some casitas in town that they rent out.
It’s only a short walk from the tie down area to the lodge but it is up a pretty steep hill. Usually, they notice you landing and they send a van down to pick you up, especially if they are expecting you.

Are there any daytime restrictions overflying monument valley area? Do you happen to know the air to air frequency to monitor?

Johan

Not that I am aware of Johan, 121.5 would be a great choice for the second radio. Lake Powell NP is the closest marked on the sectionals with restrictions. If you decide to go lower then flight levels watch out for an occasional drone and stay away from livestock pens. Carry enough energy there are plenty of side roads between red rocks. :D

There is a cool place with a closed airstrip not far from UT25. There is a corner store there as well. :)

Thank You Vlad. Probably the the number one item on my ? to fly to? bucket list.
Absolutely beautiful photos.

Great Photos

Thanks Vlad for sharing the photos! Looks like a spot to visit next time I'm down to visit my son in Phoenix.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

AAHHH!!! Monument Valley. Love it. Goulding's is nice and convenient to the airstrip. The View hotel in the monument is AWESOME. We had a Skysuite there a few years ago.

Roberta

Great pics! For those that haven't flown over Monument Valley, just watch the National Parks overflight (blue border with blue dots on sectional) and maintain above 2000 AGL. Beautiful scenery!

Vlad
The last photo you posted showing the approach end of RWY 03; which airport is that?

Thanks
Sam

been itching to fly there again

LTUE_uRx0BfYrSHEwYfgtlZIIQ5gIn_ZLKBGi7tmyH8785G-xFUNsOhoooBTPldN2qGC_BDMPPX_ZHyQlJkAF1L-cPCynftT9hsPB9Fbbfu7kyTSmGtQGYPGt8VfnTzqmZre9ZrcE1FxHlHiQvhJDcSxi36eIo99qzZ6liWof0E1Rs7nC1cUpV8ZmNxa0L1ZUCwcO6qmG5So_rHNIgZBXqHoXEyKEepkrhYaCk80UYOvqiCbsI1a2gWbLlcP5FKnabfvjPo3_-amzOXeb3kO0oxtfhEowty4RhooI8LlyKtQRu6gsm9TCQv0XWdaOjm1RPbhwXRuj0Pvh5IFak_hqpdkSypmvjjGcrAT6LefWNRxTmL74oDG7loKqvKvQoo-ECbmt5OR1dxuZEdL9Up9D0wzTAkoODlL2_6e6M9GLVteZfW_ZFHGL5wqYgxCG7skpkSdOGj_zSyQG6FiV-g8eKoH9605BrYNGS5_jBh0QGMbfPxpVNe5yjQa7uUHgzXc-O93E6uvHQee_CVrHZu9yVYA7U9KhIR38loJc7HATKJcUyxR8M3-ENKrXPKUWVLSLLuyeUduMy4jSJWzooH_OYpqMlCKQRNs66opOxp47uh2MDlLx8waXqYAGfX3XalMCn65fkwQCThiM3BJtlBA05vH4w7vSLqe0w=w1000

Been There

Vlad, Wife and I landed there and stayed over Easter weekend. Great weather and a good time. Took advantage of the 2.5 hour tour that Gouldings Lodge offered. A bit expensive but we really enjoyed it. Wouldn't want to do it in the hot of summer though. People wanting to fly there should check out the airports web page. https://www.gouldings.com/airport-information/ It is Private and they have some good information. The best info is obvious: Take off is from runway 34 and landing is on runway 16. No Touch & Go or missed approach.

Love that area and need to go back. Last time there we watched the Red Bull Air Races. They flew right in the middle of the monuments. It was amazing, not sure how they pulled that one off

n48itd.jpg

Back