What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA mentor

Eztroller

Well Known Member
Did any of you speak/work with a mentor during your project build? I joined EAA last month and have been visiting their website. Just curious. I'm in the RV Nation, 20 minutes from the factory, so I'm assuming there is lots of help around.

When I do start the build, it will be the 14.

Thanks

Last edited:
Brian - in my opinion, a mentor is absolutely necessary - I found my mentor at an EAA meeting but it was just blind luck.

A few years ago, I attended an EAA Chapter meeting at Long Beach Ca (I'm not afraid to say where) and was hoping to find someone - anyone, who could advise me about which aircraft kit to purchase, tools, techniques, etc. Sat thru two meetings during which no one cared that I was there or talked to me. It felt pretty strange - I had never been shunned by a group of people before! A new and unusual experience! No tears here ,just the facts, Jack.

So, I went back for some more! During the second meeting that I attended, a guy brought in a rudder and vertical stab under construction for the group to look at. The group tore him apart. I don't know if it was due to poor workmanship or??? I stayed away from the carnage. The guy picked up his emp. parts and immediately left. I have no idea if he was a 'new guy' 'not in the click', or what.

This is where the luck part of this story came in - there were two 'new' guys there and they talked to me. They had the same experience with this group as I. One was just starting an RV-8 with the help of the other. I was invited to 'come and look' any time that they were in the garage and building the 8.

The 8 is now flying. I gained experience just by being there and watching. One of those guys is now helping me build my 12. His help and experience is truly invaluable. I owe him more than I can ever express. He is the reason that I will finish my 12.

So first off, find a mentor - hope that your EAA experience is really good. Don't be afraid to walk away and attend a meeting at a second or third EAA Chapter if you can't find a mentor at the first one or two.

I gather that the KLBG group was/is? only a fly to breakfast group. As far as I could tell, they all flew spam cans - no builders - that's ok, just not for me. No one at the KLBG Chapter was interested in me as a new member. I dropped my EAA membership along with three separate letters to the Director explaining why I dropped out. No reply. Some day, I'll find an EAA chapter here in SoCal whose members are welcoming, inclusive, and builders!

When I was building 13 years ago, five of us started building at about the same time and there were a couple of flying RV's in the area.

We would help each other with our builds and it was invaluable.

The guys who had gone before were Tech Advisors and we're extremely helpful.

So, while not mentors per say, we all kept each other moving.

Of the five builds, four finished, and three of us ud boys within six weeks of each other. The boys, who are eight now, like getting together as much as their fathers.

Mentor

Absolutely. I cant remember how we met but he taught me how to rivet and drill rivets plus so much more. I'm on the Finishing kit and still ask questions. I asked one yesterday. Invaluable.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I will make sure to visit a local builders group once I have everything in order!

You have a local EAA chapter there at Pearson Field, and a whole slew of us all over the Portland metro area. Plenty of tech counselors, mentors and airplane builder geeks all over the place here! If you're down by Twin Oaks, shoot me a PM and let me know.

Back