What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Harness

GKnut

Does anyone know of a company that builds decent wiring harnesses? I'm nearing the point of installing the avionics and do not want to go thru the effort and heartache of building my own harness for the Garmin system.

A look at advertisers on this site would help. SteinAir supplied panel, avionics and built harnesses for my G3X Touch IFR panel. A pleasure to deal with, excellent work, prompt responses to all of the questions I have had.
A very satisfied customer.
Bill Brooks,
Ottawa, Canada

Stein

I shipped my radios to Stein and he built, bench tested and shipped a complete harness and my radios back me. Highly recommended!

I have heard nothing but good about Stein. I see you are in Virginia. There is a fellow in Leesburg (clear across the state) named David Buckwalter who does this very thing for both experimental and type certified aircraft. We have a Javron panel with G3X he is doing right now and are extremely pleased. If it's similar shipping time/cost or there is a sales tax issue I would be comfortable with either.

I recently delivered an RV-8 to Saint Aviation in Florida for a G3X panel makeover and was suitably impressed. But I don't know if they would provide stand alone harnesses or do anything other than a full panel install at their location.

To be fair there are other outstanding wiring shops in Florida, Georgia, Texas and other locations run by professional competent VAF supporters. A VAF forum search for wiring help ought to yield instant results as this question comes up all the time.

You could also take the AEA's experimental avionics class taught multiple times a year. Even if you farm out your wiring the class is an excellent experience and you will at a minimum understand your glass panel and/or avionics much better.

Jim

Last edited:
Stein did my dual Garmin panel and did an outstanding job! would highly recommend them.

Having just gone through building my own harness for the G3X system, I have to say that it?s much easier and fun than I thought it would be. I was just like you in thinking that it was a major headache and not something I wanted to mess with but decided to do it for educational purposes and I?m sure glad I did.

One thing I did was get a little help with an interconnect diagram. That took a lot of the puzzling out of it. Whichever dealer you choose likely has that as an option. I used Stark Avionics and have been very happy with his support through the process. The other thing I did was attend the AEA experimental avionics course. The course was well worth the time and money but I wouldn?t consider it mandatory. If you have someone available to show you the basics of building the Can Bus and assembling the connectors you should be good to go.

I realize this doesn?t really answer your question about shops that build good wire harnesses. A friend encouraged me to build my own when I planning to farm out the work and I?m definitely glad he did.

Having just gone through building my own harness for the G3X system, I have to say that it?s much easier and fun than I thought it would be. I was just like you in thinking that it was a major headache and not something I wanted to mess with but decided to do it for educational purposes and I?m sure glad I did.

One thing I did was get a little help with an interconnect diagram. That took a lot of the puzzling out of it. Whichever dealer you choose likely has that as an option. I used Stark Avionics and have been very happy with his support through the process. The other thing I did was attend the AEA experimental avionics course. The course was well worth the time and money but I wouldn?t consider it mandatory. If you have someone available to show you the basics of building the Can Bus and assembling the connectors you should be good to go.

I realize this doesn?t really answer your question about shops that build good wire harnesses. A friend encouraged me to build my own when I planning to farm out the work and I?m definitely glad he did.

^^^This. Its really not that hard. You will learn a TON and it was really quite enjoyable. Stein air has a ton of you tube instructional vids that are very helpful. Give it a shot, it will save you a ton of money too. If you still don't want to do it then here is another vote for Stein.

This is an interesting thread, can learn a lot about this stuff:) Had a look at Stein's website, impressive.
The one thing I notice with Vans A/C & no doubt a lot of other kit builder designs is that the panels are all over the place. I've been looking for an 8 for ages now inc 7's & the one thing that puts me off most of them is the panel! It's like some stand back throw a dart & where it lands is where the next instrument goes. A couple I've looked at have functional panels but have issues elsewhere. I guess for me coming from a commercial flying background one gets used to standardization, something that doesn't exist in the experimental world. Still it's interesting to see what's inside the heads of Vans owners:):)

You can fix it!

This is an interesting thread, can learn a lot about this stuff:) Had a look at Stein's website, impressive.
The one thing I notice with Vans A/C & no doubt a lot of other kit builder designs is that the panels are all over the place. I've been looking for an 8 for ages now inc 7's & the one thing that puts me off most of them is the panel! It's like some stand back throw a dart & where it lands is where the next instrument goes. A couple I've looked at have functional panels but have issues elsewhere. I guess for me coming from a commercial flying background one gets used to standardization, something that doesn't exist in the experimental world. Still it's interesting to see what's inside the heads of Vans owners:):)
Fixing the panel to be the way you like it is easy! I agree with you on the lack of standardization. I have not been able to find any research on panel layout with an EFIS, particularly things like where to put radios, toggle switch groupings, etc. Also, when you throw a tablet into the mix, it becomes even more complex. It would be interesting to hear your views on the perfect panel.

Look into the Approach Fast Stack hub. It utilizes custom harnesses that you spec out and all you do is wire the feeds, grounds, antenna leads and servos to the ends of the harnesses.

It worked out GREAT for me!

:cool: CJ

Be careful what you wish for

All,

I would like to provide a contrarian point of view on wiring your plane, panel and panel layout.

With the current EFIS offering (like SkyView) the vail of mystery has been removed from this process. I offer most will do themselves a favor to at least try to do all your project wiring yourself. You will then be prepared to go back in when time comes for modifications. The only caveat might be getting a wire harness for the TSO GPS box (e.g. GTN-650) as many shops will not sell you a box without a harness. As it turns out however, ARINC modules translates to just a few wires going to a box like the GTN-650.

As far as panel layout, I would hate to see any push to a standard panel. The panel should reflect the best examples of other builders as seen through your eyes. The corollary to this point is after you fly, you will want to change something. As such, build the panel assuming it will be modified. Here is where I recommend you not blow a big wad of money on stuff like carbon fiber or silk screening unless your wallet is so thick you don?t care. Over 15 years for my RV-8A there where five panel mods, two required buying a new $22 piece of aluminum from Van?s, new holes & paint. For the RV-10 the first panel lasted less than a year. The second panel is still there but two new SKyView modules were added.

One other point about buying wire harnesses. While the good shops know what they are doing, some may not. I helped a builder with his pretty panel from a shop that involved more rework to install than just starting from scratch. The panel works, but the owner is now at the mercy of finding someone to help if anything goes wrong because he does not know how it all works.

In my first life detailed system knowledge and demonstrated proficiency was required before touching anything on the plant. Translating this approach to RV building has served me well.

Carl

Frustrating but does seem a good thing to do.

As typical this is a very tedious and frustrating thing in my RV seven. However it has turned out easier than I thought and with the help of some previously made up cabling from diamond Skyview I don?t to Skyview touch system complete with intercom radio auto pilot and transponder appears to be coming along nicely. One does have to consider it does take hours and hours to do. So if you haven?t those hours digging that wallet and I would suggest Stein he was very helpful on my purchasing some great used equipment.

Panel and wiring

I tend to agree with the point of doing your own panel and wiring. After learning sheet metal work, fibreglass, hardware, engine install etc why not the electrical too? Great knowing how it all went together. I think the most difficult part is the planning due to all the choices required...VFR or IFR, glass or steam (and if glass which brand?), how much redundancy, breakers, fuses or VPX etc etc. It is not a hard job but it is tedious and time consuming. The Aeroelectric Connection book gives great info and sample wiring schematics as do other aircraft wiring books. If you can read the electrical schematics for your selected equipment you can wire it up. I know I did on mine and knew nothing about it to start. Everything else you need to know is on the net and you may have an electrical guru on the field to ask for help. It's certainly a great feeling turning on the master for the first time and lighting things up!
Al

I did my own wiring and it wasn't that difficult. However, I strongly recommend you have Stein make you a pin out diagram for your avionics. Mine was approximately $400 and it was worth every penny. It clearly showed how to ground each wire, where and how to use shielding, and was a simple as make a wire from pin 12 on this gizmo to pin 4 on this one. In addition to the avionics, I used one of Bob Nuckolls diagrams from the Aerolectric Connection to do the primary electrical wiring. I also purchased the primary electrical materials from B&C. They list everything necessary for each Nuckolls diagram on their website. Both B&C and Stein were quick to answer phone calls when I had a question.
All in all, very enjoyable. You can pull one or 10 wires per evening in the warmth of your home.
Jerry Folkerts

Back